• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SigX

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2022
    Lowell, IN
    So I recently purchased this rifle from a women whos husband had died about 5 years ago. Outside of the rifle looked good and at the time I didn't know how to remove the bolt to inspect the barrel. When I got it home and did some research I was able to remove the bolt and look down the barrel to see a very rusty crusty mess. I'm guessing before her husband passed he fired this with some corrosive ammo and never got to clean it or just purchased this way. Luckily I have a very cool gunsmith of a neighbor who lets me use his stuff and teaches me along the way. I cleaned this for about an hour using amonia based solvent at one point and this is the result. After the bore scope it spent another 30 minutes soaking in Bore tech eliminator solvent that removed alot of that copper and got brushed out again and oiled up with kano kroil for now. Patches surprisingly were almost clean when we finished for the night. Gunsmith neighbor thinks bore should be ok to fire now but we are waiting on headspace gauges to come in to make sure the chamber is ok as that concerned him. Luckily the seller is going to make things right on the price and either give me some money back or hook me up with some bayonets for my 2A1 I also purchased from her. From what I have read these cleanup nice after firing a few rounds through them.

Attachments

• signal-2022-09-28-19-26-19-797.jpg
      signal-2022-09-28-19-26-19-797.jpg
      129.2 KB · Views: 88
    • signal-2022-09-28-19-26-19-797-1.jpg
      signal-2022-09-28-19-26-19-797-1.jpg
      82.3 KB · Views: 49
    • signal-2022-09-28-19-26-19-797-2.jpg
      signal-2022-09-28-19-26-19-797-2.jpg
      79.7 KB · Views: 45
    • signal-2022-09-28-19-26-19-797-3.jpg
      signal-2022-09-28-19-26-19-797-3.jpg
      103.2 KB · Views: 87
    • 20220924_183013.jpg
      20220924_183013.jpg
      507.3 KB · Views: 87

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I bought a mosin off a nice guy here back in 2012.

The inside of the barrel looked like Amy winehouse's liver.

It was ****ing rough.

I spent an hour cleaning just the insides. Soak and scrub.

I got that thing shining like a new penny.

It's been a solid and fun shooter for years.

That rifle is like a good woman. You show her some love and care and she will show you lots of fun and good times.

So go at that thing like a dog with a bone and it will treat you right.

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    Don't have anything as funny to add as @fullmetaljesus, but I agree with what he said. Remember who these guns were built for and in what types of conditions/environments they fought - it'll take more than a bit of surface rust to take yours out of service. And unless you plan on running Lapua match or some crazy dialed-in handloads, I wouldn't bend over backwards on the thing just to run some dusty old tins of corrosive surplus x54r.

Looks like a nice M44 overall, but I have to ask ... what's hanging off the end of that muzzle?

And welcome to the forum :thumbsup:

SigX

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2022
    Lowell, IN
    Don't have anything as funny to add as @fullmetaljesus, but I agree with what he said. Remember who these guns were built for and in what types of conditions/environments they fought - it'll take more than a bit of surface rust to take yours out of service. And unless you plan on running Lapua match or some crazy dialed-in handloads, I wouldn't bend over backwards on the thing just to run some dusty old tins of corrosive surplus x54r.

Looks like a nice M44 overall, but I have to ask ... what's hanging off the end of that muzzle?

And welcome to the forum :thumbsup:
    Good Eye, That is a fancy muzzle break someone put on it that was mounted 90 degrees off. Think I found something similar on ebay.... lol

It's reverse threads tapped on the barrel that basically makes the bayonet useless. I opted to just keep it on there since I have nothing to cover the threads at this point. We pulled it off and cleaned it up, then mounted correctly as the way it was mounted would push the gun to the side. Definitely looking forward to getting back over to the workshop to get this thing showing her some love and get her wrapped up. I've got about 170 rounds that were in zip lock bags she sold me so no fancy ammo, just plan on plinking with it. From what I have seen these things are almost indestructible. Just hope headspace is good and its safe to shoot. Hopefully during the week we can get through this and the other two I picked up from her. I also have a Weatherby .308 bolt action I need to sight in that we just went through a few weeks ago. Should be a fun day at the range.

SigX

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2022
    Lowell, IN
    I bought a mosin off a nice guy here back in 2012.

The inside of the barrel looked like Amy winehouse's liver.

It was ****ing rough.

I spent an hour cleaning just the insides. Soak and scrub.

I got that thing shining like a new penny.

It's been a solid and fun shooter for years.

That rifle is like a good woman. You show her some love and care and she will show you lots of fun and good times.

So go at that thing like a dog with a bone and it will treat you right.
    Good Stuff Fullmetaljesus! Yeah I dig this thing and really hope its salvageable. I am fortunate enough to have a wealth of knowledge across the street that is helping be bring her back. She's definitely gonna get some love, even if she's just a wall hanger.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    My nephew bought a Model 44. The barrel was a rusted mess. He got it clean but there are some serious pits all through it.
    I'm betting someone shot mil surplus corrosive and never cleaned it.

hoglegs

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 21, 2017
    NWI
    I picked up a "fair" listed mosin from buds, should've scoped it before ffl transfer but was in a hurry & it was lathered up with cosmo. Damn bore looked like a sewer pipe & last 6 inches slugged at .316! Ended up cutting & recrowning barrel, then loading up some 180gr 313's (for Enfield) in some ppu brass. If I do my part that thing holds 2 inch groups at 100yrds! I think the bore smoothed out with shooting, spam-can surplus will keyhole but reloads are fine. Just clean it up best you can & see how it does. Might be surprised

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I believe that is a muzzle noise increaser......if you think a regular Mosin is loud....wait til you shoot that one........(add purple as needed)

SigX

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2022
    Lowell, IN
    Finished up working on Mosin tonight. Headspace is good so hopefully this weekend I can get out to the range with it and a few other guns I need to shoot. Here are some pictures of the Barrel markings

Attachments

• 20221006_214239.jpg
      20221006_214239.jpg
      373.6 KB · Views: 20
    • 20221006_214412.jpg
      20221006_214412.jpg
      444.8 KB · Views: 19
    • 20221006_214418 (002).jpg
      20221006_214418 (002).jpg
      383.7 KB · Views: 19

SigX

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2022
    Lowell, IN
    Good Eye, That is a fancy muzzle break someone put on it that was mounted 90 degrees off. Think I found something similar on ebay.... lol

It's reverse threads tapped on the barrel that basically makes the bayonet useless. I opted to just keep it on there since I have nothing to cover the threads at this point. We pulled it off and cleaned it up, then mounted correctly as the way it was mounted would push the gun to the side. Definitely looking forward to getting back over to the workshop to get this thing showing her some love and get her wrapped up. I've got about 170 rounds that were in zip lock bags she sold me so no fancy ammo, just plan on plinking with it. From what I have seen these things are almost indestructible. Just hope headspace is good and its safe to shoot. Hopefully during the week we can get through this and the other two I picked up from her. I also have a Weatherby .308 bolt action I need to sight in that we just went through a few weeks ago. Should be a fun day at the range.
    Fixed the Muzzle break until I can figure out some way to get thread protector fabricated. At least now its mounted correctly...lol

Attachments

• 20221006_220244.jpg
      20221006_220244.jpg
      391.6 KB · Views: 10

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    M44's are fine , rugged pieces. Mine was born in 1952 .... my birthday year ! :alright:

i-6gqvBDZ-L.jpg

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    Polish (11)) - what a beaut, besides that wart at the end. The metal looks downright fantastic. Speaking of, how is the muzzle device attached? No detent pin, I pray. Crush washer or something similar, or literally just wrenched on? For as interested as you seem to be at taking care of this gun, I would take the brake off and just be mindful not to drop the carbine or otherwise gum up the threads.

Also, do you know what the thread pitch happens to be? If it is a common commie pitch you might be able to get away with an AK-style muzzle nut. It still won't be original but IMHO will look better than that 74-style brake hanging off the end.

And if you decide to rock it with nothing but bubba'd threads, the bayonet still folds/attaches, yes? Because when you get to shoot it, there's nothing quite like stabbing a paper target with a Mosin bayonet and then obliterating the entire thing with a hip-fired x54r round.

SigX

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2022
    Lowell, IN
    Polish (11)) - what a beaut, besides that wart at the end. The metal looks downright fantastic. Speaking of, how is the muzzle device attached? No detent pin, I pray. Crush washer or something similar, or literally just wrenched on? For as interested as you seem to be at taking care of this gun, I would take the brake off and just be mindful not to drop the carbine or otherwise gum up the threads.

Also, do you know what the thread pitch happens to be? If it is a common commie pitch you might be able to get away with an AK-style muzzle nut. It still won't be original but IMHO will look better than that 74-style brake hanging off the end.

And if you decide to rock it with nothing but bubba'd threads, the bayonet still folds/attaches, yes? Because when you get to shoot it, there's nothing quite like stabbing a paper target with a Mosin bayonet and then obliterating the entire thing with a hip-fired x54r round.
    Thanks! It's just wrenched on, no crush washer. Not sure on the thread pitch but they are reverse threads. Not sure if thats a common thing or not. Yeah I definitely would like to take it off but my gut said just leave it on for now until I figure something else out. The bayonet will fold open with the brake off so there is hope in the future I can get it figured out in the future. I'll bring my SKS with a bayonet if I so desire to stab paper targets this weekend... lol

Firehawk

a.k.a. Rainmaker, Rainhawk, Firemaker or whatever
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Lebanon
    F4FE1531-2AAC-46A4-B1B9-CFAF64A61B5B.jpeg
    BoreTech is good stuff! For a barrel like your Mosin I like to follow up the usual cleaning process with JB bore paste and then JB bore bright. My experience is BoreTech gets stuff out that Hoppes missed. JB bore paste and bore bright gets the stuff BoreTech missed. I like to use the felt cylinder patches with the JB but wrapping a cloth patch around a clean bore brush can work too. I don’t use JB on everything, just when needed.

Top Bottom