• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Went to get an estimate on getting rid of the rust on my 2004 F-150 Heritage, runs great just rusty. Tech looked at it and said "trade it" it is too far gone. Hate to get rid of it for one reason is the price of used trucks being out of sight right now and I have to have a truck. I am thinking about trying my hand at doing the cab, corners, rocker panels and door bottoms. If I can get it looking decent for a few years on the cheap I would be happy. The bed is pretty much ate up so I would have to find a south west rust free .
    I m also thinking about a flat bed conversion. I enjoy working with wood and I have seen some good looking trucks with this done. If you have a flat bed on a pick up I would love seeing a picture and how difficult was it. Does anyone know of anywhere that makes a flat bed frame or frame kit where I would add the wood. Thanks in advance Jim.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Rust is one reason many main line body shops will not work on a car/truck older than maybe 10 years or so. Unless they are just in top shape.
    Once you cut into your cab you may change your mind.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Churchmouse; I agree with you, but still want to come up with something to keep the truck. I actually don't care if it has rust, the wife keeps griping about we have a new house and that rusty truck sits out front. The new house is why I no longer have money to replace the truck. I was looking to trade a couple years ago when it looked better then spent the newer truck money on the new house. I had found some possible trucks newer, less miles and better shape for around $9,000 to 10,000, I don't want anything too new just doesn't fit me.
    Paintman, I had looked at those but I even called the company and their panels start at 2004, a 2004 Heritage is a 2003 body so those will not fit. I am still going to pursue my plan, may not be the brightest idea but I think it is the cheapest. Being retired I have a lot more time than money. Jim.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Churchmouse; I agree with you, but still want to come up with something to keep the truck. I actually don't care if it has rust, the wife keeps griping about we have a new house and that rusty truck sits out front. The new house is why I no longer have money to replace the truck. I was looking to trade a couple years ago when it looked better then spent the newer truck money on the new house. I had found some possible trucks newer, less miles and better shape for around $9,000 to 10,000, I don't want anything too new just doesn't fit me.
    I'd tell the wife to let you have the garage for the rusty truck and problem solved...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Paintman, I had looked at those but I even called the company and their panels start at 2004, a 2004 Heritage is a 2003 body so those will not fit. I am still going to pursue my plan, may not be the brightest idea but I think it is the cheapest. Being retired I have a lot more time than money. Jim.
    I would lay this back on the wife somehow. Let us know how that works out OK...:lmfao:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    If the body has a real rust problem, you need to be concerned about the frame and related metal.

F150's are great, but just like certain bowtie model years, if you didn't have extra rustproofing, garage parking, and or years lucky with weather decent enough to wash off the salt, you're gonna be in trouble.

More than one YouTube video out there talking about F150 frame rot.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I "got rid of" the rust over the wheel wells that infects every 2007-2013 Silverado outside of Arizona:

Attachments

• truck.jpg
      truck.jpg
      27.6 KB · Views: 16

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If the body has a real rust problem, you need to be concerned about the frame and related metal.

F150's are great, but just like certain bowtie model years, if you didn't have extra rustproofing, garage parking, and or years lucky with weather decent enough to wash off the salt, you're gonna be in trouble.

More than one YouTube video out there talking about F150 frame rot.
    Friend and Ingo member had to let his ford go for this very reason. Not sure of model year but his was bad.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Friend and Ingo member had to let his ford go for this very reason. Not sure of model year but his was bad.
    I wonder if the modern day brine salt spraying of the roads in winter adds to this? Worse on vehicles than the old days of only rock salt speaders?

Lotta days down here we see "preventative" spraying of the roads in winter, for just in case. Sometimes, brine spraying even as if they have a time and or material budget to use up before year's change?

I've heard the state highway crews brining the roads on warmer end of December days, with only rain and 40's in the forecast.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    We had the floor pans rust out in our '06 Altima. We went to several body shops to ask for repair estimates. There was only 1 shop in Indy that would touch it - Hobbs Automotive. East side. Right behind where Pop Guns used to be. And they did a TOP NOTCH job as far as I could tell.

So, for you Indy area folks needing rust remediation, I suggest talking to them.

fjw2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2016
    Close to a friend
    If you decide to tackle the cab corners and rockers yourself, I would recommend bonding them in rather than welding. We have been using a product by 3M called Impact Resistant Structural Adhesive. Part number 07333. It takes a special applicator gun. If you ask at the paint supply store, they may have one you can use temporarily. If not, they aren’t terribly expensive. And then use Evercoat Reinforced Repair Compound Filler(Part number 100635) over the seams. You will end up with a very strong and long lasting repair.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    All I know is that I see about 3% of the rust that I did growing up in the '70s and '80s.
    This is true but as far back as I can remember(and that's a long time), trucks have had problems with at least cab corners and rockers. The car companies could have come up with a solution by now. I gave up on my search for a squarebody. Even in the far southwest, they are still rusty. Not worth the effort to me to start welding all kinds of patch panels, replacing fenders and hoods most of which probably come out of China.

I just don't see the desire to take an American truck and bring it back with foreign parts, but I digress.

Carry on.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    I would probably find room in the garage for my truck if I let my Springer sit outside also but that ain't gonna happen either. When we started to decide what features we wanted in our house I said we had to have a built in garage. I take good care of my wife and wanted her to be able to not go out in the weather to get in her car. I like my wife and she is a good wife. I had a bad wife so I can tell the difference.
    All the frame metal looks good and solid so not worried about that, the center of the bed looks solid also just the sides are bad. Cab corners and rocker panels with I think two lower door sections should be enough.
    Had an ElCamino that had the frame rot, driving down the road and hear this horrible noise, the whole rear bumper and part of the frame was dragging by the tail light wiring harness. Good friend had a 1976 F-150 and the floor was so far gone you could watch both front tires as you drove down the road. Jim.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    There are several companies out there that sell "rust free" cabs, beds, etc. as said above though watch the frame. I replaced the bed on a '00 Super Duty I had a few years back and had considered replacing the cab but decided I had enough projects hanging over my head already so sold it off and bought a near new GMC.

Which incidentally is worth 8k more than I paid for it according to kbb. :rockwoot:

Top Bottom