• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Will Cerakote fill rust pits? I found that a single shot slug gun I have has gotten seriously rusted in a closet and I have always thought about painting it so this might be the time to do so.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I had a pitted trigger guard ceracoated and it still has the pits. I think you'd need to fill them and sand them prior to coating. I can post some pics, I don't think it looks bad and isn't very noticeable but it's there.

lrdudley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2016
    Indianapolis
    DuraCoat has a product called DuraFil Surface Filler for that purpose. I have done a few firearms with DuraCoat, but never used the filler. Don't know if it would be compatible with CeraKote.

Dinny

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 27, 2015
    Trafalgar
    I would make certain the rust is gone before covering it with any coating. Rust never rests. Cerakote can be layered to fill voids. It takes someone who knows what they're doing though.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Will Cerakote fill rust pits? I found that a single shot slug gun I have has gotten seriously rusted in a closet and I have always thought about painting it so this might be the time to do so.
    This doesn't sound like an heirloom. It's a tool unless you intend to sell it. Sand out the rusted areas. Use a little denatured alcohol to get rid of any gun grease/oil, spray can primer paint on it. Follow up with spray can whatever Rust-Oleum color you choose.

I take great care of my dad's 1968 Rem Trap 1100 with AAA wood. But my Bergara 6.5 has a little blood on the forend cuz that's just part of the story.

Top Bottom