Not open for further replies.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana

Russian bombers capable of carrying nukes detected near Finland​

I do not get it? 7 aircraft stopped at an airbase again(they even show the images from 2 months ago,and it is not the first time they have been there,I would wager it has been happening for decades).
    Hate to break it to you,but the MIG31's and su-27's can both carry nuclear weapons as well. Why are these 7 aircraft somehow more alarming? 4 long range bombers,and 3 medium range bombers that seem to stop there on occasion is reason for alarm...why?
    Imagine the panic they could cause if they mentioned the 20+ TU-22(K,P,and M3 variants) bombers stationed there for over 30 years(M3 is a supersonic bomber,capable of carrying nukes) or the naval air wing(mostly anti sub aircraft both fixed wing and rotor)?

Units stationed at the airfield since the 1990s include:

Last edited:

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy

Nuclear alert: Repositioning of six Tu-160s and MiG-31s with Kinzhal – Fleet of 8 Russian and Chinese ships in US EEZ in Alaska​

cuisinart.gif

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

Since Russia can't do anything on the ground or the air I imagine they will turn to their nuclear weapons. They have them as small as 0.1 kiloton and going up from there.

Possibly also will use chemical weapons as well.

They do not think the United States or any European powers will do anything if they use them according to a few speeches from Putin and I believe his top advisor.
    Since our leadership is so weak I can see why they would come to that conclusion.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I wouldn't want to have to bet either way, but the first user of even tactical nuclear weapons is going to open up Pandora's box with consequences we can only imagine. Putin may be desperate enough to do that, but it doesn't seem like a "winning" strategy, since his willingness to use them for a territorial grab once means he'd be willing to use them on other - NATO - countries, as well. I don't see the Poles or the Germans being willing to just stand by and HOPE he doesn't go after them - because, if he gets away with using nukes once, of course he will use them again.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I wouldn't want to have to bet either way, but the first user of even tactical nuclear weapons is going to open up Pandora's box with consequences we can only imagine. Putin may be desperate enough to do that, but it doesn't seem like a "winning" strategy, since his willingness to use them for a territorial grab once means he'd be willing to use them on other - NATO - countries, as well. I don't see the Poles or the Germans being willing to just stand by and HOPE he doesn't go after them - because, if he gets away with using nukes once, of course he will use them again.
    Putin said in his speech that the United States already opened said box when we nuked Japan twice.
    According to Putin he will use his nuclear arsenal if he so chooses.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    Putin said in his speech that the United States already opened said box when we nuked Japan twice.
    According to Putin he will use his nuclear arsenal if he so chooses.
    I am not sure why but I always imagined the first modern day use of nuclear weapons to be a depth charge or something used against ships in the middle of the ocean. Maybe because it’s purely military targets and potentially less collateral damage. Perhaps I’ve read too many Tom Clancy novels.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I am not sure why but I always imagined the first modern day use of nuclear weapons to be a depth charge or something used against ships in the middle of the ocean. Maybe because it’s purely military targets and potentially less collateral damage. Perhaps I’ve read too many Tom Clancy novels.
    Well the low yield like the 0.1 kiloton and upto say 0.5 would be probably what they would use to move a stubborn defensive position.
    How much power does a MOAB have? Is it anywhere close to 0.5 kiloton or much less?

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    It is my understanding that whenever this scenario is war-gamed it always ends up in a wider nuclear exchange - always

8201420665_9da758efe6_b.jpg

"Would you like to play a game?" - WOPR

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    One nuc fired, even a small one in Ukraine, will collapse everything we know at least for the near term. Fear of a wider exchange will put a compete stop to everything until that gets sorted out, and then it will take time to rebuild. Even if nothing else happens after the explosion the modern world stops for a while, just from the fear.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    MOAB is .011 kiloton. Russian FOAB is .04 kiloton.
    If you can deliver it to the target in one piece.

Ukraine's air defense has made a pretty impressive showing. Russia is better off sticking to their advantage in arty volume than risking planes trying to drop flashy bombs.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    "Secretary of State Antony Blinken said in a Friday joint press briefing with Canada's top diplomat that the damage and disruption to the pipelines are being seen in Washington as a "tremendous opportunity" to greatly reduce European energy imports on Russia.

A mere few sentences later, he followed by saying "ultimately this is also a tremendous opportunity. It’s a tremendous opportunity to once and for all remove the dependence on Russian energy and thus to take away from Vladimir Putin the weaponization of energy as a means of advancing his imperial designs."

He at the same time touted that the Untied States has now become "the leading supplier of LNG [liquefied natural gas] to Europe," stressing too that the Biden administration is helping to enable European leaders to "decrease demand" and "speed up the transition to renewables."

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    "Secretary of State Antony Blinken said in a Friday joint press briefing with Canada's top diplomat that the damage and disruption to the pipelines are being seen in Washington as a "tremendous opportunity" to greatly reduce European energy imports on Russia.

A mere few sentences later, he followed by saying "ultimately this is also a tremendous opportunity. It’s a tremendous opportunity to once and for all remove the dependence on Russian energy and thus to take away from Vladimir Putin the weaponization of energy as a means of advancing his imperial designs."

He at the same time touted that the Untied States has now become "the leading supplier of LNG [liquefied natural gas] to Europe," stressing too that the Biden administration is helping to enable European leaders to "decrease demand" and "speed up the transition to renewables."

Dissolution of the central state is long past due.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    If you can deliver it to the target in one piece.

Ukraine's air defense has made a pretty impressive showing. Russia is better off sticking to their advantage in arty volume than risking planes trying to drop flashy bombs.
    We were talking about low yield nuclear weapons, and I was wondering what the yield of a Moab was compared to one of Russia"s lowest yield nuclear weapons 0.1 kiloton. Which is about 9x more powerful than our Moab. They can be delivered via cruise missile. They probably are able to put them in their hypersonic missiles as well.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom