Not open for further replies.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    Pretty much everything metallic is "mildly radioactive". DU is used for "weight" and some pyrotechnic results inside the target as I understand it. Not radioactive results.
    Right, radioactivity is not the purpose of using DU in sabot tank rounds but it’s there nonetheless. DU has 60% of the radioactivity of natural uranium per the article below. So safer than uranium but not as safe as lead or steel I guess in terms of radiation.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Right, radioactivity is not the purpose of using DU in sabot tank rounds but it’s there nonetheless. DU has 60% of the radioactivity of natural uranium per the article below. So safer than uranium but not as safe as lead or steel I guess.

Ive read the wikipedia article too.YOu want to say its "radioactive", fine. So is your cell phone and the radio, computer equipment, etc. THat's pretty much a big nothing burger, but tis the typical reaction of people who give knee-jerk reactions.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    Ive read the wikipedia article too.YOu want to say it’s "radioactive", fine. So is your cell phone and the radio, computer equipment, etc. THat's pretty much a big nothing burger, but tis the typical reaction of people who give knee-jerk reactions.

Heh, ok then.

My understanding is that DU isn’t very dangerous until it is fired and the dust is either breathed in or ingested. Something to do with Alpha particles. I am not a nuclear engineer.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Alexei Arestovich, President Zelensky’s recently fired advisor and unofficial “Spinmeister,” was more direct. He expressed his own doubts that Ukraine can win its war with Russia and he now questions whether Ukraine will even survive the war. Ukrainian lossesat least 150,000 dead including 35,000 missing in action and presumed dead—have fatally weakened Ukrainian forces resulting in a fragile Ukrainian defensive posture that will likely shatter under the crushing weight of attacking Russian forces in the next few weeks.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Alexei Arestovich, President Zelensky’s recently fired advisor and unofficial “Spinmeister,” was more direct. He expressed his own doubts that Ukraine can win its war with Russia and he now questions whether Ukraine will even survive the war. Ukrainian lossesat least 150,000 dead including 35,000 missing in action and presumed dead—have fatally weakened Ukrainian forces resulting in a fragile Ukrainian defensive posture that will likely shatter under the crushing weight of attacking Russian forces in the next few weeks.

Didn’t we just have a conversation about this? Seems the numbers of dead are all over the place. High low….how do we really know what the numbers are and the real truth. Not directing this towards you but rather the both of us. I remember those saying Ukraine would fall in a couple weeks…. Yet there they are…

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Didn’t we just have a conversation about this? Seems the numbers of dead are all over the place. High low….how do we really know what the numbers are and the real truth. Not directing this towards you but rather the both of us. I remember those saying Ukraine would fall in a couple weeks…. Yet there they are…
    Yeah I’ll believe the propo on this about the time I stop loving Korean cars.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Heh, ok then.

My understanding is that DU isn’t very dangerous until it is fired and the dust is either breathed in or ingested. Something to do with Alpha particles. I am not a nuclear engineer.

To be fair that's the case with any kind of ammunition. :):

Being shot at is not very good for your health regardless of the type of ammo used.

You get lead poisoning from regular rounds as well.
    You also get lung cancer from breathing the exhaust fumes of your own tank ...

Pretty much everything is bad for your health on a battlefield, it's kinda the point.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    To be fair that's the case with any kind of ammunition. :):

Being shot at is not very good for your health regardless of the type of ammo used.

You get lead poisoning from regular rounds as well.
    You also get lung cancer from breathing the exhaust fumes of your own tank ...

Pretty much everything is bad for your health on a battlefield, it's kinda the point.

Ok, that one jumped the shark. Yes, sigh, DU particles are not the most dangerous thing a soldier faces on the battlefield. Not even top 25. I think the concern is people living there years later. Like I said earlier with Chernobyl being close by it’s probably a moot point anyway.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I will avoid this thread for a bit. I could really care less what happens in Ukraine,Europe,or even Asia.
    Three days sober, and you fall off of the wagon.

:):

Is this like the time all of the banks collapsed during Covid?

Surprised you missed this obvious NATO failure.

Capture.PNG

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    True.But I had made the statement below.

"It is certainly been a meat grinder,but I believe(as did the now former head of Ukrainian defense until they resigned last week) that Ukraine can not possibly win with the losses they are taking vs inflicting. I may look for the quote from the NATO meeting where he stated it around 2 weeks ago."

While true I included an out with the use of the word "may",it felt cheap and a co-pout. So when I stumbled across the quote reading other news I had no second thoughts about posting it.

The source had the information available to him(if anyone did) and while most stats seem to be given to serve propaganda(he spread plenty of those stats in the last year) his resignation and physical location changing(he moved to Germany last I read,likely out of fear of the Ukrainian government) changed his messaging greatly. I believe he loves his country,and now wants the truth known. I do not see what he gains by trying to deceive or exaggerate the numbers. I believe his numbers to be as reliable as they can be(he even states 35k MIA,presumed dead),so includes a large number that is not provable either way.

Last edited:

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    There are a crap ton of assumptions in that post. Assuming he’s not spreading propo. Assuming he moved because of a gov’t, not because he was in a war torn country.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Biden is a total mess. How much longer will this charade go on? He's barely coherent.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    So before we checked the inventory we promised tanks. I swear it seems like our leaders are not the brightest.

I assume Ukraine civil war will be over by then.

asevans

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    Russia has some of the best military equipment of all kinds in the world. Their most advanced stuff they just don’t have a lot of it. Cause they must use real money to produce it. Unlike the west which can just print an endless amount of money.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    So before we checked the inventory we promised tanks. I swear it seems like our leaders are not the brightest.

I assume Ukraine civil war will be over by then.

That is really surprising. Maybe not with our current leadership. So…they don’t have 31 export models ready to go probably? Seems like they should have M1’s stashed everywhere. What about all the tanks the Marines gave back to the Army? Crazy stuff.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    The definition of "victory" always muddies the discussion.

The allies certain "won" WWI but at such a horrific cost that it devastated their population for decades. When German General von Falkenhayn spoke of wanting to "...bleed France white" he failed to grasp that it would also bleed Germany white.''

The American Union "won" the civil war but rebuilding and resentment have festered for over a century.

So you get in an argument/fight with your spouse. How do you decide who "won?" Whomever got their way? Whomever is happiest in the short term?

Russia is under such extreme sanctions that what assets it is losing cannot possibly be replaced at all unless they have massive stockpiles of reserve parts. They don't have the industrial ability to manufacture anything advanced at scale. Think about the reality that they're having to rely on IRAN for drones! Iran is not really thought of as an industrial powerhouse. Or the fact that they are now relying on North Korea for artillery shells. Even IF they take all of Ukraine it will have come at such a crippling cost as to set them back for at least half a century. In my opinion Russia has already "lost." It'll be for the historians to decide if I'm right or wrong.

Ukraine for its part doesn't have a choice. It is fighting for its very survival, and everyone knows it. It will run out of ammo when many European countries and the United States and several other countries run out of things to give them. All of these countries know that there is a very real chance that if Russia wins they will try to take back countries now in NATO, and so doing would result in their total route and nukes would quickly become a real option for Russia.

Russia has kidnapped hundreds of thousands of children and whisked them back to Russia, probably never to be seen again. Ukraine won't stop fighting. A special torture room used to torture children was found to be used by the Russian military or Wagner group. Americans and Europeans find torturing children so repugnant that we won't stop contributing to the Russian "defeat." Russia has invested so much they cannot now back down. This is going to end with rivers of blood and mountains of bones.:(

Regards,

Doug

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Russia has some of the best military equipment of all kinds in the world. Their most advanced stuff they just don’t have a lot of it. Cause they must use real money to produce it. Unlike the west which can just print an endless amount of money.
    Uh..... yeah. No. The russians/soviets never had the "best", they had "the most". Their tactics have always been to overwhelm their enemy with numbers instead of quality. We've seen what small, mobile and capable units can do to soviet era armor. Pop the tops because of a poor design.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom