Not open for further replies.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Don't we have hundreds, if not thousands, of old M60's just collecting dust that we could send?

Not an armour expert, but wasn't that our big tank before the Abrams took over?

I've seen pictures of thousands of fighters, bombers, trucks, etc we keep around "just in case."

I figure if the Russians are pulling out crap from the 50's and 60's since the Ukrainians have blown up most of their good stuff with Javelins, then any of our older stuff would at least be on parity and give the Ukrainians a severe edge with numbers.

Regards,

Doug

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Don't we have hundreds, if not thousands, of old M60's just collecting dust that we could send?

I've seen pictures of thousands of fighters, bombers, trucks, etc we keep around "just in case."

I figure if the Russians are pulling out crap from the 50's and 60's since the Ukrainians have blown up most of their good stuff with Javelins, then any of our older stuff would at least be on parity and give the Ukrainians a severe edge with numbers.

Regards,

Doug

I think the Russians have not yet sent their best tanks ... but I could be wrong.

You don't want to be in a M-60 facing their new Armata.

I think they deployed old tanks, then even older tanks ... and are keeping their best stuff in storage.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I think the Russians have not yet sent their best tanks ... but I could be wrong.

You don't want to be in a M-60 facing their new Armata.

I think they deployed old tanks, then even older tanks ... and are keeping their best stuff in storage.
    If in keeping with their current hardware, their best stuff is likely to have issues related to corruption in the procurement process and complex technology in the production process. To quote Lt. Cmdr. Montgomery Scott, "The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain."

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I guess in the military if you stopped doing "dangerous things that could get you killed if not made carefully" then you wouldn't be doing much. :):

Maybe they are less used that before now with wireless headsets and modern radio equipment. :dunno:

Do you know if they are only used as an intercom to talk to the driver/commander, or if it can be used as a giant walkie talkie to talk to other vehicles?

Maybe they can place collect calls to their family ... :dunno:

main-qimg-e5aaa164eac7399167a2357bcd09b92b-lq
    Ether or. It has a selector on it run from the commanders position.

USMC was the largest user of them. Radio heavy Army cav units never use them, but they are kept operational anyway. Army infantry units somewhere in the middle.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis

Regards,

Doug
    US stocks of M60 Pattons are long gone

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    It’s a German design produced under license for the M1. Similar to the Chobham armor which was designed by the British and also used on the M1 tank.

But are the rounds interchangeable in a pinch? And would rounds designed for longer or shorter barrels interfere with the programming driving targeting (due to lower or higher MV)

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    But are the rounds interchangeable in a pinch? And would rounds designed for longer or shorter barrels interfere with the programming driving targeting (due to lower or higher MV)
    Based on what I read the rounds for the shorter gun (Abrams) can be used in the longer gun (Leopard 2). NATO does have standards for ammunition and artillery rounds to allow some interchanging of ammunition amongst member nations.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Regards,

Doug
    I think we need to send big bags filled with nothing. And not new bags. Like the empty grocery bags you have yo throw away anyway. In other words, we don’t have to send anything. That would be my preference.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I was an M60A1 tanker in the Marine Corps. The M60 used a diesel engine and they weren't fuel efficient either. If I remember correctly, we got 1/4 mpg with the M60.
    No tank is fuel efficient really, its just the M1 Abarams uses.. -even more- fuel then that.
    The big killer is the idle fuel use on the M1.. Something that eventually forced the Army to install an APU unit on the M1A2. Its a small pony motor that lets the turbine be shut off when not on the move. This is something the older Abrams being supplied to the Ukrainians won't have. Note that the M60A1 isn't listed, but its got the same motor at the A3, your memory is pretty dead on.

1674926779259.png

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Aren’t they mildly radioactive? Not that anyone would notice with the fighting that close to Chernobyl. Everything there is probably mildly radioactive or worse.
    Pretty much everything metallic is "mildly radioactive". DU is used for "weight" and some pyrotechnic results inside the target as I understand it. Not radioactive results.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom