Rural Suppliers; They Ain’t Who We Think They Are…

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I have been reading this also on several sites , that feed from TSC could contain less nutrients than normal .
    I suspect it is in more feed from just at TSC , because everyone that I know that has chickens has reported that their egg laying had almost stopped .....Mine included ( we have 23 layers ) and were only getting 2-3 day . Started supplementing our feed with fodder and we are now getting 6-8 day ( which is not bad for the winter )

And for the record ......I don`t shop at TSC . Rural King is my go to farm store .
    Im not an expert, but I do know chickens lay less in the cold weather. So given the timing, it could be either. Or both. You'd need to change feed to see if output changes to know if its a formula change or not. If production goes back up with a different brand, its the feed. Restart the TSC feed in the late spring and if the production goes back down its the feed. (confirmed)

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Agreed, I'm a Rural king guy. They sell Mike Lindels pillows and play music that doesn't make me want to throw up
    I go to Greenwood Rooster King, and if I had to work in that store...the music would most definitely make me puke. :puke:

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield

12many

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    over there
    Was searching for a certain size of clevis about 10-12 years ago.

Went to two different TS and neither on had the size (or even close) to what I needed.

Friend of mine told me where the nearest Rural King was and they had exactly the one I needed.

Unfortunately I didn't get out of there until $100+ and a bag of popcorn later :popcorn:

NEVER been to a TS since, just sayin'

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I am not even sure how the Tractor Supply around here stays in business. Never more than a few cars in the parking lot.
    Same here in Bedford. RK is a gold mine compared to TSC.

With regards to the ESG crap, places like RK (assuming they are) are probably the exception and everything else is probably the rule.

12many

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    over there
    Heck, it ain’t about boycotting it’s knowing that when you looking for something you want to go to the store you know will have it
    So you just know TS ain’t got it

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    TSC is 5 minutes from my house, Rural King 20 minutes.

TSC gets 99% of my business, cuz it mostly has what I need, although RK has a LOT more stuff (as it should, its a much larger store)

Orscheln is another good option, but its 30+ minutes away.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I feel this thread. I drive 7 mins past a Menards to get to Lowes. Cant stand Menards for 90% of what I buy. I think I only buy 12-12-12 and certain kinds of lumber there. Everything else comes from Lowes. (or Home Depot if its green tools)

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    Orscheln is another good option, but its 30+ minutes away.
    I stop at the Orscheln in Winchester when I go to Union City for lumber. Reminds me of a small Rural King, better variety and more stuff than TSC.
    Last time I was there, I saw on the door that they were changing hands. Saw on Wiki that TSC had bought them out.
    Tractor Supply Company acquired Orscheln Farm & Home in 2022, divesting approximately half of the stores to other owners to complete the acquisition.
    Pretty sure the one in Winchester is not part of TSC.

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    At least the snapshot of the feed bags tested were within FDA guidelines

Jndturner317

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2021
    Noblesville
    At least the snapshot of the feed bags tested were within FDA guidelines
    This is a good report on the food safety aspects. I would recommend checking the nutrients listed on the tag and comparing them to established guidelines for the nutrients. As a former nutritionist for a feed company I really disliked the feed and mineral supplements at TSC as they were generally a lower level of nutrients than what I would recommend. This is usually done for a price point product. Most formulations are done on a least cost basis. This can be good and bad. If the formula is not checked or given minimum and maximum levels of certain ingredients the quality of the pellet can be affected as well as the nutrient profile. The product will have established minimum and maximum levels of nutrients on the tag and possibly others not listed on the tag. But care has to be taken when substituting in different ingredients. If you need feed search out your closest Feed Store. There are several good options Kent, ADM, Purina, Cargill, Hubbard, Kalmbach are all good companies that could have a presence in the region. There are numerous others out there that I may be unfamiliar with.

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    This is a good report on the food safety aspects. I would recommend checking the nutrients listed on the tag and comparing them to established guidelines for the nutrients. As a former nutritionist for a feed company I really disliked the feed and mineral supplements at TSC as they were generally a lower level of nutrients than what I would recommend. This is usually done for a price point product. Most formulations are done on a least cost basis. This can be good and bad. If the formula is not checked or given minimum and maximum levels of certain ingredients the quality of the pellet can be affected as well as the nutrient profile. The product will have established minimum and maximum levels of nutrients on the tag and possibly others not listed on the tag. But care has to be taken when substituting in different ingredients. If you need feed search out your closest Feed Store. There are several good options Kent, ADM, Purina, Cargill, Hubbard, Kalmbach are all good companies that could have a presence in the region. There are numerous others out there that I may be unfamiliar with.
    Excellent info, thanks for your response

Top Bottom