• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    Lets say you could move anywhere in the US (for the most part) but you were looking for the most rural area you could find. (NOT in tornado alley, or whatever it's called). As far away from human population as possible.

Give me some ideas guys and gals. We've got a year to decide where we want to go, no more no less. Very few limitations but there are some.

Name the place you'd go.....

:yesway:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    One of the dark spots...

NorthAmericaNight.jpg

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    One of the dark spots...

NorthAmericaNight.jpg

Which one?

We need a decent selection of wildlife (hunting), We'd like half the land we purchase to be wooded and the other half, Not. A natural stream running through part of the land and atleast a few hours from a city(big or small). Don't need the option of Electricity or running water (as long as we have a stream).

With that in mind...help me pcik a few specific locations to choose from.

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    If you want to go as far from population as possible, there are some great, and fairly inexpensive, tracts of land through the mid-south. Southern Kentucky, Tennessee, Carolina's, etc.

I spent 4 days camping this summer on 150 acres in Tennessee, and it was desolate. I thoroughly enjoyed it!!

If it were me, TN would be hard to pass up.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    If you're thinking out west I'd head to Wyoming, Montana, & Idaho in a heartbeat. If you want to be east of the Mississippi I'd look at the upper penninsula of Michigan. There are large parcels of land on rivers that sell for 1K per acre in the U.P. and hardly anyone there.

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    TN was my first thought too. Beautiful land there, but I'm not 100% sold on it. We're thinking about taking a little trip that way to do some research of the land, shortly.

Wyoming and Idaho were also brought up in conversation, but we know so little about those 2 states. A lot of research needs to be done before we think deeper into that.

I forgot to mention that we'd like to stay somewhere where it doesn't get super cold as well. There is a huge list of options here and we are at a loss of which to pick and choose from.

Thanks for the replies.

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    If you're thinking out west I'd head to Wyoming, Montana, & Idaho in a heartbeat. If you want to be east of the Mississippi I'd look at the upper penninsula of Michigan. There are large parcels of land on rivers that sell for 1K per acre in the U.P. and hardly anyone there.

I want SO far away from Michigan and Detroit that I forget they exist!

Montana's winters might be a bit harsh but it's still a possibility!

DocBoCook

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Clermont
    Western side of the Mountains in KY. Steady rain for agriculture, lots of wildlife, and not a lot of people. But I would need to borrow somebody's grader. There are never many good roads.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Lots of outstanding places in rural KY and TN... From gently rolling to downright "mountainous". Perhaps even North Georgia.

Yes, there are ice storms, but very mild winters are normal.

Not many tornadoes, either.

Many more poisonous snakes and a black bear every once in a while...

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I have a cousin living on southern Colorado. Loves it! 300+ days of sun, cold winters, warm summers, tons of wildlife, and not too many people. He is about 5 miles from the nearest "town" (post office, general store, and liquor store), and 20 miles from WalMart.

I also have friends moving to the Moab, Utah area. Whole lot of nothing out there, but beautiful country.

christman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2010
    Terra Haute
    Flathead County, Montana. Anywhere near there would be close enough to a decent sized city to get goods and services, but far enough away never to see a neighbor if yo so choose.

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    TN was my first thought too. Beautiful land there, but I'm not 100% sold on it. We're thinking about taking a little trip that way to do some research of the land, shortly.

I would encourage you to take a trip wherever you are thinking about going. Make a list of what you are looking for, kind of like a pro's/con's list. That will get you to the 100% sold aspect of whatever geography you choose.

TN specifically, I would look at Grainger County as well as the Sweetwater area. Fairly close to Highways for travel, wonderful waters and lakes close by, far away from people, and fairly mild winters. Last year some of my family camped out (without cold weather gear) on Christmas eve and New Years eve in this area...which speaks volumes about the weather.

HTH!

Top Bottom