Rural California community left on its own as police staffing shortage brings end to daytime patrols

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

Residents of a rural California county are relying on their firearms for defense in light of severe staffing shortages in the local sheriff's office​

A few things caught my eye with this article. First off if the Police could be there, they would be there. What's bad is, this isn't a time/distance thing. It's a "no one is coming" thing.

In November, the sheriff’s office canceled daytime patrols altogether, citing a "catastrophic staffing shortage" due to a "drastic rise in attrition, coupled with the inability to present enticing recruitment efforts."

(I didn't know Grady Judd was originally from Cali :lmfao: )
    "I moved to this county in 1978, and the first question I asked was, ‘What kind of service do you have in the rural areas?’" County Supervisor Bill Moule told CalMatters in December. "The sheriff was kinda this big guy, been sheriff a long time. He looked at me and said, ‘Son, get yourself a shotgun and a dog.’ It’s no different today than it was in 1978."

(Always carry, just sayin...)
    Violent crime in the county has also reportedly been on the rise in recent years, with residents pointing to a handful of examples. Thornton cited an incident last year when a man allegedly called the homeowners’ association and threatened to kill everyone there, but the sheriff’s office could not respond.

(I knew this place rang a bell. This was horrible.)
    In 2017, Rancho Tehama was the scene of a series of shootings, including at an elementary school, carried out over two days by one gunman who ultimately committed suicide. The shootings left five people dead and 14 others injured. The incident still haunts many residents.

The sheriff’s office had reported to the gunman’s home 21 times before committing the carnage, local media reported at the time. Some residents even filed lawsuits against the sheriff’s office, arguing they were not adequately protected from the gunman.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    It's kind of like that around here. The small town we are near only has 1 full-time officer so there are large periods of no one on duty. Sometimes they have reserves. Mostly the county and staties provide support.

r3126

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    Indy westside
    If you visited this area of Cali, you would find that the rural folks there are little different than the rural folks here in Indiana. They are hard-working, God-fearing and, as a general rule, conservative. They are, unfortunately, over ridden be the ubber liberals from the major population centers (read Sacramento, San Fran, LA and others). The lack of police manning is the results of the larger population centers recruiting and offering officers twice the salary that they are currently receiving. I was born just east of the area in the subject article and was raised just north, in southern Oregon.

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    One of the Thousands of Reasons I would Never live in Californication!
    One of the reasons i will never step foot in that state. My gf is from there and i told her i would never go there. Her parents finally moved from san Bernardino to billings Montana 2 years ago.

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    The good news is that with all the Kommiefornia infringements on the Second Amendment, a violent person could only get off a very limited round of shots anyhow.
    Did you mean a “legal” violent person??? LOL. I hate when you hear the Kommiefornians move to other states and they want their airhead ideas in the new state they moved to.

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    Some of those commi states aren't even worth talking about anymore. Nothing but worthless people on a lost cause. If they cared about anything in their state, they would have tried doing something about it long ago.

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    Cops ain't comin'?
    Somebody gets hinky on my property, and I gotta fend for myself?
    That's cool, I'm down with that.

Coroner still comes around, once a week, to haul off the trash though. Right?

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Cops ain't comin'?
    Somebody gets hinky on my property, and I gotta fend for myself?
    That's cool, I'm down with that.

Coroner still comes around, once a week, to haul off the trash though. Right?
    1975 called... it was Barnaby Jones.

BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    I live rural and asked our sheriff a few years ago about response times. He said if both deputies are busy or on the far side of the county it could exceed 30 minutes but I should plan on at least 20 minutes. He was an NRA member.

Top Bottom