• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The worst of it came off with the kitchen sink scotchbrite sponge. Then the copper choreboy all but took it away, leaving only some slight staining, and a very fine scratch or two.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The blade was fine yesterday, when I sliced that tomato. Can't imagine not wiping off the blade before I put it back in the sheath, but that's what I must have done.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I gave it a wipe with Balistol. Then the G45, then the mags, then the holsters.

Maybe they'll all be rusty tomorrow?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    And yes, it was probably the 'maters. Remember the Romans thought tomatoes were poisonous because the acid would leach the lead out of the pewter plates, giving consumers lead poisoning.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    And yes, it was probably the 'maters. Remember the Romans thought tomatoes were poisonous because the acid would leach the lead out of the pewter plates, giving consumers lead poisoning.
    There is no question. The knife looked new before cutting the tomatos. It was just last evening.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I don't mind the slight staining as the knife is my EDC on the homestead. I'm guessing with a little harder work that the stains could be removed all together?

It's actually a been pretty good reminder that this can happen. I probably need to be more aware of other acidic residue not getting left on the blade, unless I'm looking for a patina on the S30V stainless?

JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    You can always give it a forced patina to help protect it (at least, as I understand it):

I tried it on a cheap china blade. I never got it to look as good as the poster in that thread, but it still looks cool and has a protective layer. If I were to do it again, I would skip the polishing and all and just use the cottonballs + vinegar and get it as dark as I can in one pass and call it a day.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    If you can dip the blade only in white vinegar over night it will clean it right up. My son did that to a bayonet for his Kar98 it was a rusty mess. It took off the rust and the bluing right down to the bare metal. He then put multiple coats of cold bluing on it. It turned out really nice.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Just remember, folks: Stainless steel isn't "stainfree" steel.

As you know, BW, probably not a big deal. But in my experience with some surface rust on a D2 Kershaw blade - even if you get it wiped / buffed out, those spots will rust again even if coated.

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    Yea, cutting veggies are known to cause rust if you don't wipe off the blade. Onions are notorious for rusting blades.

As for stainless, yea its not stainless or rust proof. I used to sweat rust, and have rusted "stainless" guns in one day. Have since gave up sugar and that problem has gone away for some reason.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Leather sheath? I ask because my combat knife I bought from Cold Steel in 1989 a Recon Tonto 7" blade Carbon V steel. It was American made at that time. It came with a leather sheath that I put on my ALICE web gear (Yes I'm getting old). Anyway I had to constantly oil the blade or it would rust. I believe my perspiration was somehow getting inside the sheath. I still have it but I store it outside the sheath if course. It has some serious sentiment value. The things I did with that knife....

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Reviving the thread because I have a serious rust problem. I bought this Case Canoe knife with the intent of carrying for a couple of years and then passing it on to my son when he is old enough to start carrying a knife. It went missing about 4-5 months ago and I found it today. It was caught in the rubber gasket of the front loading washing machine. Who knows how many cycles it went through, but it was nearly rusted shut.

Any ideas on the best way to try and clean it up?

Should I soak it in EvapoRust and then give it a good wipe down with a light abrasive?

Get out the dremel and sand the heavy rust off?

Something else?

IMG_20221219_120754.jpg

IMG_20221219_120745.jpg

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Alright, I gave the blades a nice light scrub with a scouring pad and most of the deep rust came right off. Apparently it was all surface rust.

A few passes with various wire brushes and then a few shots of CLP, and she cleaned up pretty well. Crisis averted.

IMG_20221219_145018.jpg

IMG_20221219_145027.jpg

Last edited:

ChootEm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    Whitestown
    Looks like a good start to a patina fitness.

I have used mustard on a few of my carbon steel blades. Once the patina is formed the rusting ends.

Top Bottom