• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I’m wondering if the firing pin is broken? The manual says it’s ok to dry fire, but the mark on the cylinder means something is contacting cylinder, if the pin is broken and sticking forward, or not rebounding, I’d think that might cause that indent in the cylinder

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    DO NOT FILE THE CHAMBER!!
    Use a chamber iron or contact Ruger.
    I looked and looked, but it seems like the Menck tool is no longer available anywhere online and the business is no more. Shame since it had excellent reviews.

Found this one from Tandemkross for the same price though https://www.tandemkross.com/ChamberMadeChamberIroningSwage

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I've got a ChamberMade, but like Squirt, I have yet to use it. I don't routinely dryfire rimfires regardless of what the manual says.

This particular Wrangler could be a little out of tolerance, and the "space" that's supposed to be in there to protect the chamber from this kind of dryfire damage is a little tight. Easily fixable, and Ruger generally has great customer service.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    If you're supposed to be able to dry fire it, as the manual seems to imply, then your firing pin is likely out of spec as it shouldn't be hitting the cylinder. I'd contact Ruger. Personally, I won't dry fire a rimfire gun without something in the chamber to protect it, regardless of what the manufacturer says. It's just not a good habit to get into, IMO. Plastic drywall anchors of the appropriate size inserted into the chambers are a good solution, although they have to be replaced over time as they will deform under repeated impact.

My son bought a Wrangler and it had issues tumbling bullets right out of the box. Certain brands were keyholing at 7 yards. I think the cylinder was mis-aligned as it dragged slightly when rotated. We sent it back and they replaced it with a new gun, which has run 100%, and is quite accurate. Call Ruger...they will take care of you.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Ruger has the best customer service in the business.
    They get a lot of practice at customer service because when they first start a run on a new pistol they seem to get a lot of business returning them. Like the customer does the quality control.
    after a while I think they get there manufacture down better. Seems the first batches seem kinda hit and miss.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Not directly answering OP and I may be totally off on this, but is it possible the damage was caused by dry firing? Pretty sure i've seen a rimfire revolver with similar damage and the cause was dry firing without snap caps
    This. I wouldn't dry fire it anymore.
    If you're not going to return it to Ruger just clean it up with a fine file and not dry fire again. You could also ask Ruger about it so that they are aware of the problem. Oh, and read the book that came with it to see if they do not recommend dry firing.
    Oh, and I didn't read post #28 either.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    My wrangler was shooting 6in to the right at 7yds. Appeared sight was bent or barrel was cocked. Sent it in and approx 6 weeks later got a new wrangler which I had picked up on friday. I can send the reciept in for a refund of my transfer fee by Ruger.

Jont22

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Aug 24, 2019
    Morgan County
    My wrangler was shooting 6in to the right at 7yds. Appeared sight was bent or barrel was cocked. Sent it in and approx 6 weeks later got a new wrangler which I had picked up on friday. I can send the reciept in for a refund of my transfer fee by Ruger.

That’s good to know because I just paid a $35 transfer fee for a $200 gun. Lol

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I got hit with a transfer fee for my replacement gun, too. I thought that was kinda crappy considering it was the same shop that sold me the original defective gun in the first place, and the fact that I also bought a brand new S&W out of the case for over $600 while I was in there picking up the replacement Ruger, so they had to do a 4473 anyway. I questioned it, and was told that it was "policy."

Thankfully it was only $20. Ultimately I view it as a $20 lesson about how that shop views its customers, and how they don't stand behind what they sell. I had the exact opposite experience with another shop about the same distance from my house in the the other direction a few weeks ago. Guess which shop will be getting my business from now on, and which one won't.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I got hit with a transfer fee for my replacement gun, too. I thought that was kinda crappy considering it was the same shop that sold me the original defective gun in the first place, and the fact that I also bought a brand new S&W out of the case for over $600 while I was in there picking up the replacement Ruger, so they had to do a 4473 anyway. I questioned it, and was told that it was "policy."

Thankfully it was only $20. Ultimately I view it as a $20 lesson about how that shop views its customers, and how they don't stand behind what they sell. I had the exact opposite experience with another shop about the same distance from my house in the the other direction a few weeks ago. Guess which shop will be getting my business from now on, and which one won't.
    The 4473 had nothing to do with receiving the transfer. In fact purchasing multiple handguns on the same 4473 results in additional paperwork as that purchase had to be reported to the State.

The warranty responsibility is that of the manufacturer or in some cases the distributor. It is not the responsibility of the retailer to stand behind the product. Store fronts stock the items that consumers want to purchase. Usually these are the cheap guns and accessories that people actually purchase. Could you imagine a gun shop that only stocked quality guns, lights, holsters and OEM parts. 90% of the gun buying public would take one look at the tag and hightail it out of there.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    ...It is not the responsibility of the retailer to stand behind the product...
    I disagree with that. I understand that it wasn't technically their fault as they didn't make the gun, but they're stocking the product in their store, and they're servicing the customer...they should do everything they can to take care of their customer, especially if it's not actually COSTING them money. I realize that it takes time and labor to conduct a transfer, but those are soft costs, as the employee is already there getting paid anyway, and as such are easy costs to eat to make sure you leave a good impression on the customer. I also realize that the shop probably wasn't making a lot of money on that Wrangler, but they probably did pretty well on the sale of that Smith, so it's not like I was fleecing them.

Thankfully, Tomlinson's Shooting Supplies in Churrubusco also disagrees. I bought a used consignment gun there a few weeks ago, took it home and shot it, and realized immediately that something was wrong. It patterned more than grouped, and the "pattern" about 10" right at 10 yards. I got it back home and discovered a crack in the frame that I'd missed when I was looking at it in the shop. Now this was a consignment gun being sold for another customer, not a gun owned by the store...so by your theory, definitely not their responsibility at all. I'd had a chance to inspect it in the shop, and had missed the crack, so at that point they very well could have said "tough luck, you bought it, you're on your own." Also, I'd shot the gun, so they also could have argued that I broke it while doing that, and they weren't responsible.

They did neither of those things. They said "we're very sorry that happened, bring it back and we'll make it right." So I did. They refunded my money, and I put it towards buying a better, and much more expensive version of the same thing. When it came time to check out, they even knocked $30 off the price of the new gun "for my trouble" without me even asking. That's the kind of customer service that earns you a customer for life. Just a night and day difference between the two shops.

Ultimately, I get that the shop has to make money, and what they did was a business decision, and it wasn't unethical, which is why I'm not throwing their name around out here. But that $20 was more important to them than standing behind a gun that went out the door of their shop, and more important to them than me as a customer. Thankfully, I have other, better options, so those places will be getting my future business.

Last edited:

Jont22

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Aug 24, 2019
    Morgan County
    Update:
    1DE07678-2476-402E-BC63-B233459C51D0.jpeg

They let me swap for a green one. :)

Now I just need to figure out how to get my transfer fee back from Ruger. I’ve left 2 voicemails with no response.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Could you imagine a gun shop that only stocked quality guns, lights, holsters and OEM parts. 90% of the gun buying public would take one look at the tag and hightail it out of there.
    Indiana gun club.
    Location Geist in fisher.
    Normal customer: avid clays shooter,
    Buying customer income above average to high
    club environment also open to average joe buyer in the pro shop.

I am not saying they don’t have a Glock/Taurus or ruger in the case but they might also have 5 Dan Wesson 1911’s 7 smith and Wesson classics and some HAndK. Daniel defense AR,s no Anderson built it yourself models. No high points. No Jennings not dons guns for sure,

if your location is surrounded for five miles in all directions by multi million dollar homes and neighborhoods your inventory can reflect the neighborhood easier, If your gun shop is at 67 and Post road your not going to sell many Dan Wesson firearms. The shops in question are about 11 miles away.

Top Bottom