• ...and so much more!
  • Jont22

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Aug 24, 2019
    Morgan County
    I have a Ruger Wrangler that wasn’t liking much ammo last time we took it to the range. I just noticed today that the cylinder has some very slight indentions which is what is preventing most ammo from being able to be loaded.

Is this something I should contact Ruger about or would it be ok to just take a small file to the cylinder and even the bore back out?

10AA055F-6F1B-4216-8A85-1EB015B0513D.jpeg

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I'd send it back to Ruger, they'll make it right.

I gotta be honest. When I saw the thread title, I missed "Ruger' and just saw "Wrangler damaged cylinder."
    My first thought was, "Well, it's a Chrysler product, you should have known better."

:):
    At least it wasn't a Wrangler jeans zipper incident. :nailbite:

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I'd send it back to Ruger, they'll make it right.

I gotta be honest. When I saw the thread title, I missed "Ruger' and just saw "Wrangler damaged cylinder."
    My first thought was, "Well, it's a Chrysler product, you should have known better."

:):
    Ditto. I had to look back up at the title because I could have swore it said Jeep.

At to the issue at hand, yes, contact Ruger. It almost looks like dry fire marks. Maybe recessed specifically for that reason and the cylinder didn't get de-burred correctly.

Jon Smith

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2021
    Warsaw
    My first instinct is to "fix" it myself. The smartest move though would be to send it back to Ruger.

If anything, and I mean anything would happen to go wrong in the future, some one could say that you caused the problem by filing it. I know, I know, but look at the things that are taking place now a days.

And Oh Yeah, I agree with Route 45 on the damaged cylinder!

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Not directly answering OP and I may be totally off on this, but is it possible the damage was caused by dry firing? Pretty sure i've seen a rimfire revolver with similar damage and the cause was dry firing without snap caps
    Now that you mention it, that looks exactly like dry firing damage.

The Ruger manual says that it's ok to dry fire.

Still...

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    My first instinct is to "fix" it myself. The smartest move though would be to send it back to Ruger.

If anything, and I mean anything would happen to go wrong in the future, some one could say that you caused the problem by filing it. I know, I know, but look at the things that are taking place now a days.

And Oh Yeah, I agree with Route 45 on the damaged cylinder!

I would send Ruger pictures and get their advice on how to proceed.

FYI - manual reads that dry firing is fine for the Wrangler...

1635889898676.png

...but...

blues bondsman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2019
    Michigan City
    I have a Ruger Wrangler that wasn’t liking much ammo last time we took it to the range. I just noticed today that the cylinder has some very slight indentions which is what is preventing most ammo from being able to be loaded.

Is this something I should contact Ruger about or would it be ok to just take a small file to the cylinder and even the bore back out?

View attachment 166121
    Dry fired or an out of aligned firing pin would be the cause.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Thank you for adding value to my post.
    Sorry. I do apologize for my snide comment. It’s just that in my profession almost every other day I see these kind of failures on low cost or sometime higher priced guns that turn out to be substandard in shootability or reliability. And yet, more and more are sold everyday. The fact is, Ruger will fix it and stand behind it but on many gun fails the owner just puts up with it forever. Some never fix the problem or just don’t shoot very much or care to have a working gun that they can shoot, train, and improve their skill set. In other words, they don’t fix what IS broke. I commend you for reaching out for help.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Thank you for adding value to my post.
    We have a disclaimer just for this reason.

"The views Trapper Jim expresses in this thread are not the views of most sane INGOers. The staff recommends you take them with a grain of salt, or if it helps, just view his posts in purple, so you'll really understand what it's all about!"

Top Bottom