Not open for further replies.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Going back in time is easy when you have the right equipment. Simpler time…simpler action.

So since I had to sight in my Bushmaster today and that only takes 3 shots (future review) I thought I would write a review on my Super Blackhawk. Ruger® New Model Super Blackhawk® Standard Single-Action Revolver Model 0811. While I really prefer the carbon steel model Ruger® New Model Super Blackhawk® Standard Single-Action Revolver Model 0810, for some reason Ruger does not pin the front sight blade like they do on the stainless model. And while the stainless alloy is not as dense as carbon, I do like the weather resistant properties.

The process of me getting a gun ready to earn the right to be in my battery can sometimes be complicated. As my friend John Taffin writes, life is too short to go through with an ugly gun. But to earn a spot in my safe, it must be reliable and accurate as well. I am no stranger to the Ruger SuperBlackhawk as I bought my first one from Anderson Brothers in Tippecanoe for about $100.00. It had a squared trigger guard, 7 ½ inch barrel and frame and ejector rod housing made out of zinc pot metal or something close. I was as happy as the people on drug commercials that get to take pills for their ailments. I shot groundhogs and other vermin on the farm as it was an accurate gun. After about 6 months the grip frame and ejector rod housing changed color and was all beat up with nicks and such. If you looked at it wrong, the finish would just relieve itself into the wind.

Now don’t take it wrong, Bill Ruger, as Richard Lee, have done a great job of bringing these guns and loading equipment to market at affordable prices. They work good for the money spent. The square trigger guard always used to hurt my fingers and many aftermarket grips became available to help with this. So after many versions through the years this review is on my current “artillery model”, something us SA guys like to refer to the 5 ½ inch barrel. We call my 7 ½ models “calvary models”.

This latest piece started out new in the box. The very first thing I do when I buy a production gun is to check it over for any warranty issues. I shoot it from a rest like the one pictured to see if the sights are perfectly registered. It is not uncommon to have one that shoots right or left with the rear adjustable sight right in the middle. This one was perfect. The next thing, especially on Rugers, is I check the grip frame to frame fit. I have had Rugers that the area around the hammer was ground down too much exposing the innards of the hammer strut. This one was perfect. Next, I take the cylinder out on my bench in the shop and drop a bullet of known size down through each chamber. By feeling and listening to how they fall through, it gives me an idea of the consistency of the chamber cuts. I know I could buy expensive chamber gauges, but this has always worked for me. I have had some that the bullet will not fall through and some that the bullet touched nothing on the way out. It is important that you make sure your chambers are clean and you use just one bullet of a measured size. This one was perfect.

Next comes the grips. I feel sorry for the handicapped grip fitters at Ruger as they do about as good of job as Political Pollsters. I like the looks of the Rosewood laminates but can not stand exposed metal where there should be wood. Enter the French Walnut that I had fit for this gun. They are hand filling, functional and look great too.

Now that I know I have a shooter worthy of my lineup, it was time to reach out to ZRTS. Home — ZR Tactical Solutions. I had the boys break every corner and sharp edge on the overall gun. Also, the cylinder flute front edges got radiused as well. This is a treatment that came from an earlier time when craftsmen were proud to spend time perfecting a revolver. It helps on reholstering, relieves blowback gasses and looks great too! Then ZRTS beaded the stainless finish for a no glare look.

When I got the gun back it was time to tune the action. I polished and refit the internals for a sweeter action and trigger pull. It breaks very clean and at 3 ½ LBS for field work. Lastly, I fit the better ejector rod with a larger finger button. This is a part from Brownells. Ejector Rod Assembly : RUGER EJECTOR ROD ASSEMBLY | Brownells.

This set up is very accurate and very dependable. I think I will take it Boar hunting this coming April. It prints this accurate all day long no matter how dirty the barrel gets. From the rest pictured, the target doesn’t lie. I was on Bay 8 when a member from bay 9 came over to see what powerful loads I was shooting. He was amazed at how accurate this gun can be shot with such a huge lock time on this single action.

In training I use the four step process to an accurate shot. Presentation, Sight picture, trigger control and follow thru. Follow thru is the most overlooked step of many shooters today. It requires work. If one wants to learn to shoot accurately, then shoot guns with longer lock times for practice. The only thing longer than this Rugers hammer fall is Black Powder Cap and Ball.

The 240 Grain Jacketed bullets are my favorite in this piece, however the Sierra Grain 300JSP runs good as well. When Denny Reichart and I used to shoot clumps of clay back in the day with our 29’s, the 240 grain Speer Half Jacket Solid points were the norm. Of course they are no longer made but that is going back in time again.

Ruger has enabled me to get enjoyment and practicality out of their products for a very reasonable price. While I do have a sidekick Marlin to go with this gun, sometimes it is all I need on my belt. Ruger has been on my horse and tractor times, vacations, hunting, competition and sometimes my nightstand. It is ready, it is powerful, it works and it is accurate. Because it has the transfer bar safety, I can carry six if my guts tell me so. In this day of a throw away society, shallow in the moment feel good times, paper doll relationships…..I prefer to slow down and forge ahead into my future and go back in time. Simpler.

View attachment 93935

View attachment 93936

View attachment 93937

View attachment 93938

View attachment 93939

View attachment 93940

View attachment 93941

View attachment 93942

View attachment 93943

View attachment 93944

Attachments

• IMG_0419 (002).jpg