• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indysafe317

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    Indy South Side
    Question and PLEASE, no lectures on why you shouldn't use a .22 or any of that. I have my reasons for the question and that's specifically what I want advice on not anything else.

Out of all the .22 rounds, if you had no other choice but to use a .22 for self defense, what is the brand to use and where can you get it. Please include a link, seems like a lot of places are out of stock so I would love to find an online source. I am in Texas right now so that is where I could go to a physical store. Not looking for Target rounds but specifically for self defense. Again, please no lectures on that topic just recomendations on specific ammo. I appreciate your help.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    In the past I had a SW AirLite 351PD 22 magnum that I CC at only 11 ozs, & wish I'd kept it.
    I missed it so much I recently picked up a Ruger LCR 22 magnum so I could have a light revolver for a CC.
    Ruger weighs nearly 15 or 17 ozs (depending on where you read), making me wish I'd kept the SW all over again.
    I'd love to find another SW AirLite 351PD.

Lt side.JPG

Ruger LCR 22 magnum
    pic from Rural King online.jpg

Last edited:

Hulberr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2021
    Angola
    I use Winchester Silver Tip in my SR22, I've been getting these from Walmart. They have proven to be accurate and reliable in my SR22. IMG_5082.jpg

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    In the past I had a SW AirLite 351PD 22 magnum that I CC at only 11 ozs, & wish I'd kept it.
    I missed it so much I recently picked up a Ruger LCR 22 magnum so I could have a light revolver for a CC.
    Ruger weighs nearly 15 or 17 ozs (depending on where you read), making me wish I'd kept the SW all over again.
    I'd love to find another SW AirLite 351PD.

View attachment 162365

If I were to carry .22lr for PD, I would carry the new Federal 'Punch' ammo or CCI's...reliable ignition is my primary concern with the .22 long rifle cartridge.

My wife has a 351C Airweight DAO in .22 WMR and it's absolutely awesome for pocket carry...so lightweight one doesn't even know it's there! She can use it but she's not really a big fan of the DAO trigger, but it's for pocket carry and, in close quarters, realistically, one probably won't even notice???

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    We have 3 sr22’s in the family and they eat about everything. Wildcats , golden boolets, m22, cci. Love the guns! Would buy another
    The Shield Compacts 22LRs I've had always ate everything which is always a plus.
    They weren't as accurate as my others, so I didn't hang on to them very long.
    If I were to carry .22lr for PD, I would carry the new Federal 'Punch' ammo or CCI's...reliable ignition is my primary concern with the .22 long rifle cartridge.

My wife has a 351C Airweight DAO in .22 WMR and it's absolutely awesome for pocket carry...so lightweight one doesn't even know it's there! She can use it but she's not really a big fan of the DAO trigger, but it's for pocket carry and, in close quarters, realistically, one probably won't even notice???
    Argh! That only intensifies my sense of loss of not hanging onto my 351PD!
    If I was buying one today I would get the "C" model, but I will just have to console myself with the Ruger LCR 22 WMR.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    The Shield Compacts 22LRs I've had always ate everything which is always a plus.
    They weren't as accurate as my others, so I didn't hang on to them very long.

Argh! That only intensifies my sense of loss of not hanging onto my 351PD!
    If I was buying one today I would get the "C" model, but I will just have to console myself with the Ruger LCR 22 WMR.
    My 'regret' (sale) gun is a 2.75" Ruger Security-Six in .357 Magnum...Aaaarrrgghh!

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I'd probably just carry the highest velocity CCIs I can find, and say a prayer to the gods of rimfire ignition.

I like my SR22, it was the first gun I carried the first time I ever carried, but it never had the cycling reliability I'd need for an actual serious carry. I would rather an 8-shot DA .22 revolver than 10 shots in the SR22, because pulling the trigger again rotates the dead round out of the way and fires the next. Although, the staple gun DA triggers on .22 revolvers are a drawback.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    My 'regret' (sale) gun is a 2.75" Ruger Security-Six in .357 Magnum...Aaaarrrgghh!
    Same here:
    I had a Security-Six that I picked up & sold for $400 with a small & large grip & loader that came with it.
    I went through a bevy of .357s & look back & should have just kept this one.
    Although, since I ended up with a Kimber 6s which is great for CC, I can't complain.

1634644045929.png
    1634644237292.png
    1634644045929.png 1634644237292.png rear & front sights.jpg
    Kimber pic 6 rd hammerless left.jpg

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Same here:
    I had a Security-Six that I picked up & sold for $400 with a small & large grip & loader that came with it.
    I went through a bevy of .357s & look back & should have just kept this one.
    Although, since I ended up with a Kimber 6s which is great for CC, I can't complain.

View attachment 164028
    Yup....that looks identical to the one I sold...beautiful shooter for a .357 Magnum!
    I'm pretty sure, if you've owned guns long enough, that everyone has a 'regret' gun!

Still lovin' my little Smitty's...
    pGO1UL3.jpg

Top Bottom