• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    We will see... Auction price and shipping was $600. With tax and FFL It'll be closer to $700.
    Got the three inch version, NIB though.
    Sadly $700+ is the going rate around here these days, and that's before tax. Mine is also a 3" (imo the perfect barrel length for a gun that size), but back when I bought it they were going for about $550. It's a good gun, though...I'd say you did alright in today's market.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Sadly $700+ is the going rate around here these days, and that's before tax. Mine is also a 3" (imo the perfect barrel length for a gun that size), but back when I bought it they were going for about $550. It's a good gun, though...I'd say you did alright in today's market.
    the auctions always get me. I forget about tax and the FFL. I was excited to get it for $600 with shipping.

I did make away with a nice S&W 357 snubby for less than $500 a few years ago.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Yeah, gunbroker is not the deal that it looks like, especially since they added the "compliance fee", and tax, then you have shipping and most dealers want between 3-4% for using a credit card. If you send a money order they'll waive that, but the cost of the money order and certified mail puts you close to that again, and there's less buyer protection than you get using a credit card. I usually just suck it up and pay the fee.

Then there's transfers. My local shop charges $40, which hurts. I understand that they want to drive business into their shop, and I can appreciate that...if they have what I want I always go there first. If I'm going to gunbroker it's because I'm trying to acquire something that they can't get me, so it's kind of a last resort. I got my C&R to avoid having to deal with that on the older stuff, but quite a few sellers won't accept those even on things that are clearly and unquestionably C&R eligible.

I typically will calculate the total, including fees, tax, shipping, and transfer if applicable of what my max bid would be, and if that's acceptable, I place it and walk away. If I get it, great. If not, on to the next one.

$600 shipped still isn't bad. The last one I saw around here was going for I think $700 before tax, so you'll be ahead of that even with a transfer fee.

Frontiersman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    East Central Indiana
    I would love a 3" version in .327 magnum, but the ammo is so scarce it's almost ridiculous to buy one!
    jn79T6Z.jpg

Not a problem for a hand loader. Or it wasn't. Primers are still a challenge to find. Let's hope they come back.

Shooter5

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Indiana
    One of the best, well built revolvers on the market IMHO. I have one and love it! I have wanted to put a VZ G10 grip on it but they seem to be perpetually out of stock. Does anyone know of a company that produces a good G10 grip for the SP101?

HEADKNOCKER

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2017
    Clarksville
    One of the best, well-built revolvers on the market IMHO. I have one and love it! I have wanted to put a VZ G10 grip on it but they seem to be perpetually out of stock. Does anyone know of a company that produces a good G10 grip for the SP101?
    https://vzgrips.com/shop-all/revolvers-grips/ruger-sp101-grips/
    Just looked those grips up & found the link above
    Pricey BUT~~~
    Glad I found a new Hogue Black Rubber for $12 shipped that awaits the SP101 = Special Purpose
    GP100 = General Purpose
    Remember I have had a SP101 since 1989 back when they were 38 Special only with the green plastic inserts

Just bought a Don Hume "The JIT" holster for a Colt Detective Special + Kimber K6S & Ruger SP101
    313531805052-0_600.jpg

HEADKNOCKER

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2017
    Clarksville
    These without a doubt one of the most robust revolvers ever created
    The SP101 GP100 & SRH Rugers are Tanks
    I prefer DAO revolvers for concealed carry, so I found a DAO Hammer & a set of Hogue grips + a shim kit for the hammer, trigger & hammer dog...
    ***COMING 7-1-22*** 1st Day of Constitutional Carry in Indiana.
    It's About Time, I've been waiting 35 years for that...

Ruger SP101 Hogue 81000 Grip.jpg P4250011.JPG

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    These without a doubt one of the most robust revolvers ever created
    The SP101 GP100 & SRH Rugers are Tanks
    I prefer DAO revolvers for concealed carry, so I found a DAO Hammer & a set of Hogue grips + a shim kit for the hammer, trigger & hammer dog...
    ***COMING 7-1-22*** 1st Day of Constitutional Carry in Indiana.
    It's About Time, I've been waiting 35 years for that...
    Love a DAO revolver or semi-auto...and a Wolff Spring Kit and shim kit do wonders for the little SP101's!
    Don't leave out the possibility doing a McCarbo trigger job on it...it'll change that trigger a lot when it's smooths everything out and reduces the load.

HEADKNOCKER

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2017
    Clarksville
    I've seen that video
    I have worked a half dozen Ruger SP101s over in the past myself & there are several key areas in the trigger group, hammer + hammer dog etc. that just need cleaning up & polished + shim the hammer, trigger & hammer dog + end shake...

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    So what's everyone using for holsters? Having a hard time finding one to fit the 3 inch barrel
    This is what I have for my SP101 3" - Don Hume H721

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    So what's everyone using for holsters? Having a hard time finding one to fit the 3 inch barrel
    I've found that the Bianchi Model #7 3-slot leather holster works absolutely great with the SP101's!

Top Bottom