• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Daburkster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2022
    Fort Wayne IN
    Good morning. Does anyone have some time behind the Ruger sp101 in 22 Lr? I am thinking about picking one up and it seems to me like it would be a fun range/plinking gat. Let me know your opinions! Thanks

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    No actual time behind one because I couldn't find one. I wanted one for years but could never locate one in stock. Ultimately, I stumbled across a S&W 63-5 for a reasonable price and bought that instead. I've been very happy with it and it kind of kicked off the whole J-Frame addiction that I've been afflicted with ever since.

Small .22LR revolvers are really fun to shoot. The SP101 is an excellent revolver. I don't think you could go wrong buying one.

SAILORGOLF46

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    The SP101 in .22 is a great size. I traded into a newer one a few years ago and it needed the trigger/hammer system polished and shimmed to smooth it out. There is very good you tube videos that show how to step by step but my old arthritic hands were not up to it. As I recall about $20 worth of springs and shims and an hour or two and its ready to go. I also found a S&W 63 and 34, love all revolvers but J frames are a weakness for me. Good luck.

tsm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Allen county
    Still have the 2” barreled SP101 I bought new in 1993. Added Hogue grips and tweaked the hammer spring weight a bit, but it’s otherwise stock. Fun plinker but heavy to carry. Have CT laser grips on my .357 SP101 (also purchased in 1993) which will easily transfer to the .22 should I decide to do so.

Daburkster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2022
    Fort Wayne IN
    No actual time behind one because I couldn't find one. I wanted one for years but could never locate one in stock. Ultimately, I stumbled across a S&W 63-5 for a reasonable price and bought that instead. I've been very happy with it and it kind of kicked off the whole J-Frame addiction that I've been afflicted with ever since.

Small .22LR revolvers are really fun to shoot. The SP101 is an excellent revolver. I don't think you could go wrong buying one.
    I was thinking about getting a cheap heritage 22lr revolver, but honestly I want something that is more of a good name brand. Also something I know will be able to be passed on for generations.

Daburkster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2022
    Fort Wayne IN
    Still have the 2” barreled SP101 I bought new in 1993. Added Hogue grips and tweaked the hammer spring weight a bit, but it’s otherwise stock. Fun plinker but heavy to carry. Have CT laser grips on my .357 SP101 (also purchased in 1993) which will easily transfer to the .22 should I decide to do so.
    I don’t have any revolvers currently, but something about them is drawing me in. And I know there are better collectible brands, but Ruger double actions are super appealing to me for some strange reason.

Daburkster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2022
    Fort Wayne IN
    The SP101 in .22 is a great size. I traded into a newer one a few years ago and it needed the trigger/hammer system polished and shimmed to smooth it out. There is very good you tube videos that show how to step by step but my old arthritic hands were not up to it. As I recall about $20 worth of springs and shims and an hour or two and its ready to go. I also found a S&W 63 and 34, love all revolvers but J frames are a weakness for me. Good luck.
    I’ll have to look up that video. For some reason Ruger revolvers are really appealing to me right now. I know a lot of guys that love those old J frames.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Also something I know will be able to be passed on for generations.
    The SP101 will be that. One thing I like about Ruger...at least before the Wrangler came along...their .22 revolvers are build just as solid as their centerfire counterparts, and they have the heft and feel of a "real gun". They're not just an aluminum/plastic/pot metal copy of the real deal. I have a Single-Six that blindfolded could easily be mistaken for one of my Blackhawks, and I can easily see my grandkids shooting it someday.

The SP101 is a beast of a compact revolver. They're a little more bulky than the comparable J-Frame, but very solidly built. I had a 3" in .357 that was a phenomenal gun...sadly I sold it to my brother to fund a 3" Model 60 (J-Frame addiction strikes again), and while I love the Smith I do miss that Ruger.

Daburkster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2022
    Fort Wayne IN
    The SP101 will be that. One thing I like about Ruger...at least before the Wrangler came along...their .22 revolvers are build just as solid as their centerfire counterparts, and they have the heft and feel of a "real gun". They're not just an aluminum/plastic/pot metal copy of the real deal. I have a Single-Six that blindfolded could easily be mistaken for one of my Blackhawks, and I can easily see my grandkids shooting it someday.

The SP101 is a beast of a compact revolver. They're a little more bulky than the comparable J-Frame, but very solidly built. I had a 3" in .357 that was a phenomenal gun...sadly I sold it to my brother to fund a 3" Model 60 (J-Frame addiction strikes again), and while I love the Smith I do miss that Ruger.
    So that sort of confirms my suspicions then. That the wrangler isn’t built as well. I haven’t had any hands on time, but with their low price tag I suspected as much…..

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Good morning. Does anyone have some time behind the Ruger sp101 in 22 Lr? I am thinking about picking one up and it seems to me like it would be a fun range/plinking gat. Let me know your opinions! Thanks
    I have an older, 4" 6-shot version...and I absolutely LOVE it!!!
    It's one of my absolutely favorite plinking revolvers!
    Absolutely recommend an SP101 in .22lr...especially if you can get it in a 5" version!
    I also have a 6.5" stainless Single-Six with both cylinders (.22lr and .22wmr) from 1988!
    And it's accurate as heck and a hoot to shoot!!!

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    So that sort of confirms my suspicions then. That the wrangler isn’t built as well. I haven’t had any hands on time, but with their low price tag I suspected as much…..
    It's made out of some kind of alloy, not steel like the single-six. They're perfectly functional, but not as robust as the Single-Six. My son has one...it's an ok gun for what it is, but it does have some trouble stabilizing certain brands of ammo..all of which my Single-Six shoots just fine. Feed it stuff it likes, though, and it's a fun, accurate little shooter.

Top Bottom