• ...and so much more!
  • Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    I used to fly a lot with guns either for matches or personal protection. I remember the airlines were trying hard to get customers to use the KIOSK instead of a human being. At first, it was a casual suggestion. Then it became demanded by the KIOSK NAZI"S. When I kept saying, "No Thank you, I can wait" they would go into their sales pitch about the KIOSK can do everything the teller can do. Getting fed up, I asked loudly, "Can it check my firearm or tell me how Betty's (my favorite check in lady) Grandkids were doing? I have not flown since 911 so I do not know if the KIOSK can check your firearm baggage. I know this, that KIOSKS are a testament to the growing number of people that need the service and as the masses grow there becomes a sacrifice in society. The compromise is Speed versus Social interaction. Manufacturing is no stranger to automation and engineering to make something cheaper for the masses that enable it.

Some call the Ruger Single Six 22/22Mag Convertible an expensive rimfire. Getting this fresh one that was built in March of this year is my newest Single Six. An all stainless version with a 6 1/2-inch barrel, this gun is hefty as compared to the low dollar rimfire single actions on the market. But I have always been a "Pay more now so you are not paying a lot more later" kind of guy. The return comes in shooting this thing. The groups pictured were from my homemade pistol rest and was not necessarily shot for groups but for impact position changes if any between the 22LR and the 22WMR. I have had some shorter barrel convertibles that played havoc with the impact location. Mostly due to faster bullets getting out of the barrel before muzzle rise and vice a versa. I am often asked why not the The Single ten or 7 or any other revolver with more than 6 chambers. For me it is a personal thing. Six rounds leave me more steel in the cylinder, goes with all my other revolvers for simplicity and conformity. Knowing that I am not shy to state my opinions, quite simply, more than six rounds in a revolver turns it into a video game gun for me. To each thier own.

It was a beautiful morning at the range with sunshine, clear skies and a brisk 34 degrees. After setting up my target and visiting with a few other shooters, I shot the enclosed groups with CCI cartridges. Now, I must confess, I swapped out the front sight with an all steel one from yesteryear as Ruger supplies aluminum front sights on these now.(see opening paragraph). Luckily I had a few in stock from the olden days. Aluminum is fine for beer cans but not on my guns. Since Fiber Optics are too fragile for me for field work, I paint my steel front sight with bright orange paint for better pickup. I also fit a Vaquero Style ejector rod as I do to all my Ruger Dingle Actions. The dished out larger finger pad makes spent case ejection a breeze.

The Ruger Single Actions are very easy to work on. So after shooting this gun for most of the summer, I recently took it apart, looked for the high marks and polished the metal contact parts. Very smooth now. I never recut the hammer notch for a lighter let off as smoothing parts and tuning the springs have worked well on every Ruger I own. I always end up with a nice let off around 4LBS and 100% reliability with CCI ammo. Next I had to address the grips. As I have said in other reviews, Ruger refuses to fit a set of grips correctly to their frames. They leave mucho metal showing or the wood is overhanging on most production models. I tried a new vendor for Ruger grips. http://chigsgrips.com/. Chad fixed me up with these spalted maple grips and fit them very nicely to the frame. I have not decided to keep the green stain on them yet but time will tell.

This Ruger Model 0626 is a dream to shoot. The 22 WMR is a very potent round for Mr Groundhog or other vermin inside the 75 yard range. I will admit that back in the day I used to shoot a lot of 36 Grain Higher Velocity Rimfire rounds but about 10 years ago, the only thing I shoot now is 40+ grainers and the four rounds I play with are Target, Mini-Mags, Velocitors, and WMR all CCI products. This revolver will last for several generations and is overbuilt in Ruger Fashion but that is alright for me. In a world of cost cutting and building things to not last forever, I am glad Ruger enables the market to include Rugged reliable firearms for fair prices. The last thing I will put up with is faulty equipment in the field as I am allergic to "click instead of bang" and for that, there is no compromise.

IMG_3266 (002).jpg IMG_3267 (002).jpg IMG_3274 (002).jpg IMG_3269 (002).jpg IMG_3270 (002).jpg IMG_3276 (002).jpg IMG_3265 (002).jpg IMG_3273 (002).jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3277 (002).jpg
      IMG_3277 (002).jpg
      722.8 KB · Views: 12
    Last edited:

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Nicely written review! I've enjoyed my 5.5" stainless Single Six since 1999. A pure pleasure to shoot and the accuracy is quite good with the 22lr cylinder.

I've fired the 22 mag very little over the years but did briefly test some mag loads that were quite accurate.

Like you the 6 shot in a revolver is all I need and have never had the desire for more shots in a Single Six.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Nice review! My 5.5" stainless single-six is also one of my favorites. It's very accurate and built like a tank. In a world of pot metal and aluminum rimfire guns, it's nice to still be able to get one that shares it's build quality with my centerfire Blackhawks. I also concurr about the high-capacity revolvers...6 is just right (although 5 is also ok in a snubby). I recently picked up a S&W 63-5 8 shooter, and while I really like the gun, those extra 2 holes in the cylinder don't do anything for me, and I'd be just fine without them.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    I love my Single Six convertible also. It makes me wish I could find a Blackhawk in .357/9mm.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Would love to have one, and yours is beautiful OP, but I'll just have to stick to my Ruger Wrangler for now. The prices on the real deal, even if I could find one in the stores around here, are steep.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    I love my Single Six convertible also. It makes me wish I could find a Blackhawk in .357/9mm.

My dad left me one and it's box/paperwork.
    Can't say it's "New", I've fired it some and so did he. It's a good shooter, I can recommend.

I have dad's long barrel .22 convertible and it's a peach. .22 WMR is a seriously handy round on a farm/homestead.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    I had a Single Six convertible blue with rosewood grips for several years, shot it and loved it. Then I sold it have have regretted it ever since. It is a beautiful handgun, well made, accurate and a blast to shoot. Makes me now think twice or three times about selling firearms that I have now and enjoy owning. Peace...

PlaysInTheDirt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 14, 2016
    Southport
    Great review on one of my favorites as well! Currently have three in my stable at the moment. .32H&R and 2 in .22 though neither had the .22mag cylinder. Thinking to see if Ruger would go through mine with the 9.5inch barrel as there is some rotational play in the cylinder when compared to my other two and maybe have a mag cylinder fit as well.

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    Ruger is cranking out Wranglers like crazy, making a mint. Meanwhile factory new Single Sixes are like hen's teeth. I have one of each and love them both but my convertible Single Six gets the nod for heft, accuracy and beauty. Mine has seen many miles of hiking and thousands of rounds so it shows some wear...adds character. (bought new in 2005 for $326 OTD)

edit: sorry for the upside down pic.

tempImageQAYW4c.png

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Ruger is cranking out Wranglers like crazy, making a mint. Meanwhile factory new Single Sixes are like hen's teeth. I have one of each and love them both but my convertible Single Six gets the nod for heft, accuracy and beauty. Mine has seen many miles of hiking and thousands of rounds so it shows some wear...adds character. (bought new in 2005 for $326 OTD)

View attachment 184890
    I just looked online, and Cabela's has the Ruger Wrangler on sale for only $189.97, down from $219.99, which, even the full price is a pretty sweet price! I get the appeal of the Ruger Single Six Convertible, but DANG, they`re expensive! Ruger shows MSRP at $869. You might have just caused me to have to get a Ruger Wrangler in .22 LR! Unless a member has a Ruger Single-Six Convertible they`re selling at a price I couldn`t pass up!

Last edited:

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    I just looked online, and Cabela's has the Ruger Wrangler on sale for only $189.97, down from $219.99, which, even the full price is a pretty sweet price! I get the appeal of the Ruger Single Six Convertible, but DANG, they`re expensive! Ruger shows MSRP at $869. You might have just caused me to have to get a Ruger Wrangler in .22 LR! Unless a member has a Ruger Single-Six Convertible they`re selling at a price I couldn`t pass up!
    That makes 2 of us looking for a security six lol
    But I just want a security six .38 spl short barrel lol

amjindiana

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2022
    Northeast
    I just came across the Wrangler when looking at the similar Heritage model. Gotta love those birdshead grips! It looks like such a fun gun to shoot, and for the $$$ they're daring me not to buy one.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany

View attachment 184890
    Quite the classic look there! Love the looks of your gun, the grips look good for factory. Of course OP as always great review, and pictures!

Top Bottom