• ...and so much more!
  • 1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I've never had a problem with Ruger, but stuff made post-pandemic seems to have taken a quality hit.

Two of my newer additions have rather serious issues.

I bought a SP101 online, that I posted about prior. First range session and I couldn't hit anything; from 20 yards I missed about 20 out of 30 on roughly 10 inch steel. I'm no pistol expert, but I can hit man sized targets at 50 with iron sights so I knew something was off. I took it to a friend's LGS. He noted the barrel was canted about 5 degrees to the left while looking down the sights. No wonder I was off...

Second issue:

Ruger SR22. I was unaware but apparently there are consistent issues with the magazine safety engaging mid magazine. At the range yesterday about 3 of 5 shots the trigger would fail to reset.

The only nice thing is Ruger Customer service answers the phone after about 1 ring, and they both sent me pre paid postage to send the guns back...To Be Continued.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I think the problem goes back longer than covid. Quite a few recalls, especially on first editions of new models, the last 5 or so years plus lots of minor issues on just about all their models. The CS department should be good, they get lots of practice.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Honestly I feel like QC in general has taken a decline the last few years across the board. SIG has had issues , S&W had to recall that bullpup shotgun. Unless you get into the "mid tier" stuff (IMHO $1,500+) I just don't really trust most things from the factory anymore.

Noble Sniper

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    Anderson, Indiana
    Did a tear down on a new Ruger carbine and it was missing one of the two required bolt head retention pins…. A call to Ruger and I had the missing pin three days later.

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    Being someone who works in a machine shop I can safely say that since the plandemic, keeping and getting workers has gotten much harder. That means more new guys, which means more quality issues. Seasoned crew makes less mistakes.

I've bought two LCPs in the last 2 years. Had issues with both, ruger fixed both, now I love both. I'm not upset about it, its understood that this stuff happens. Just gotta test your gear and not assume its flawless.

Pics to keep it interesting
    20200310_002005.jpg

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Ruger lets the buyer do the QC.

Convince me that I am wrong.

Nope you're right. Bought around 5 or so in the last few years both new and used. A PC Carbine , LCPII 380 , LCP II 22lr , LCP MAX and Single Six. The LCP 380s , espcially the MAX dents the hec out of the brass on ejection. The Single SIx has a grip frame which does not even come close to fitting flush with the main frame , was bought online where this was not seen in the pictures. They do however all shoot well and are reliable.

In the past have had a Blackhawk 357 where there were deep circular machine marks in the cylinder bores that actually left impressions in the brass. A Super Redhawk where the cylinder gap was not even all the way around. I sent one back to Ruger and it returned with a nice ding in the barrel. On a plus for Ruger I have owned a number of MKII series 22s and the same era 22/45s that have all been excellent.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Honestly I feel like QC in general has taken a decline the last few years across the board. SIG has had issues , S&W had to recall that bullpup shotgun. Unless you get into the "mid tier" stuff (IMHO $1,500+) I just don't really trust most things from the factory anymore.
    Very true, its not just Ruger. Companies are trying to squeeze every penny they can for the stockholders and QC is an easy cut. The vast majority of product is fine so let CS deal with the few problems that crop up.
    Also with the 'net it makes it very easy for the folks with problem products to make themselves very well heard so everybody hears about it. And IME gun guys tend to be very vocal.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I have owned many Ruger products in the past. This was the first time I've ever called customer service. But to have two issues with two new firearms in the same week doesn't look good.

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    Nah I've always has issues with ruger qc. Had a mk3 2245 replaced because the threads weren't concentric to the bore. Had to send it in 3 times before they finally replaced the thing.

Sr22 that had been back so many times it spent more time at their repair facility then I had time to shoot it. Back and fourth twice before it had an out of battery discharge. Which was why it was going back to begin with. Supposedly fixed and started having dead trigger so I guess it was fixed cause it wouldn't fire at all now, then replaced with new gun.

And then it was immediately recalled.

Yea. Not buying ruger anymore.

Top Bottom