Ruger is proud to announce the release of the Marlin Model 336 Classic. Chambered in .30-30 Win.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Sure is pretty. Price is painful, though. I don't mind the front sight hoods, but if you actually shoot the gun they tend to fly off under recoil...at least that's my experience.
    Of the ones (many) I have purchased over the years the normal place they fly off to is surprisingly simple place. Arrive at the house of the seller and the front sight hood is missing. Me: did this gun also have a gun storage bag or carrier? Them: yes an old dusty carrier made of fake leather. Me: can I see the bag? Them: sure hold on while I get it.

Reach down in the front past the padding and lo and behold the front sight hood. This is the most common place to find them.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Reach down in the front past the padding and lo and behold the front sight hood. This is the most common place to find them.

That's not a bad tip. Mine definitely came off while shooting, though. I heard it hit the gravel, found it, and tossed it in my range bag where it promptly disappeared. It may or may not have found its way into my parts box...can't say for sure. Most of my Marlins were already missing them when I got them, and I've never missed them. It's a poor design and more trouble than they're worth, IMO.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Beautiful pics. I know Ruger has spent some time going through the engineering/re-engineering to bring this back. I'm hopeful it will be better than what Marlin was turning out before going belly up (after the usual first year teething issues so many guns seem to have). There were some opportunities to tweak/improve things, like the sharp angle on the lever that would eventually lead to wear causing the "Marlin jam." I hope those opportunities were not missed!

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    EudMroH.jpg

I had my hands on the 45/70 guide gun the other day and admittedly I don't know much about lever guns but it seemed like a very well made firearm.

I am hoping they offer the model above in 38/357 as I could actually afford to shoot it semi regularly , that and loaded with 38 it would make an amazing suppressor host.

laf

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    Lafayette
    I'd be dead a hundred times over if I had to hold my breath. Glad they introduced it but they're just vaporware at this point. I placed an order for an 1895 guide gun in November and still not here. At least they don't have any of my money yet. It's like Ruger is making 1 a day or something. Maybe the 336's are easier and they can turn those out faster.

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    JM marked ones on Gunbroker have been selling for 900-1100 recently and occasionally 850. The 45-70's command a premium and sell for 16-1800 mostly. Some people have ridiculous minimum bids but have no takers. I was close to getting one in 35 Rem to add to the lever collection but built a 350L AR instead. At msrp I would rather have on older one.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    If I could pick one up for around $800 I'd maybe be interested. At $1239 they can just f' all the way off.
    I am so glad I got mine when I did.
    I paid less than $500 for my Remlin 336 in .35Remington and I think I paid about $550 for my Remlin 1895 in .45-70gvt.
    There's no way I could justify $1k+ for a lever gun.
    If I didn't already have them I likely never would.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    Now Shipping with Limited Availability. Please Contact Your Local Retailer for More Information.

That means not in stock. Won't be in stock. Give it a year. Or pay 2k on GB

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Now Shipping with Limited Availability. Please Contact Your Local Retailer for More Information.

That means not in stock. Won't be in stock. Give it a year. Or pay 2k on GB
    The first week they were released Cheaper than Dirt had a Ruger Marlin 1895 in .45-70gvt advertised as "in stock and ready to ship" for the incredible price of $3995, but hey, they were in stock!

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    The first week they were released Cheaper than Dirt had a Ruger Marlin 1895 in .45-70gvt advertised as "in stock and ready to ship" for the incredible price of $3995, but hey, they were in stock!
    That's probably more to do with the dirt bags at CTD than anything else.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'm glad to see Ruger brought these back and it seems like everything Ruger is cranking out on the old Marlin line appears to be tiers above the quality level marlin / remlin was putting out. I think that's great, and I get that it's going to take time for the prices to come down on these, but I also remember buying a brand new Marlin 336 for around $300 ish back in '03.

Personally, I'd love to buy one of these new Ruger's but not for anywhere close to that price tag. I was lusting over Henry's for a long time, but having held a few recently there were some fit issues on them with loose forends and the actions weren't as smooth as they used to be. I may have to start looking at Winchesters again.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I am so glad I got mine when I did.
    I paid less than $500 for my Remlin 336 in .35Remington and I think I paid about $550 for my Remlin 1895 in .45-70gvt.
    There's no way I could justify $1k+ for a lever gun.
    If I didn't already have them I likely never would.
    My thoughts exactly...and also my experience. And you know for all the hate that the Remlins got online, my 1895G in .45-70 and 1894C in .45 Colt are just as nice as my other Marlins, JM stamped or otherwise. That .45 Colt is the most accurate levergun I own.

I'm glad Ruger revived the brand, but sad that they're turning it into a boutique toy for Instagrammers instead of the quality, affordable, utilitarian tool of it's roots.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Things may be different now, but I had ordered a Ruger Red Label Sporting Clays edition when they were first announced and the msrp was $1399. I had a local dealer order one before they were in stock at the distributor. It did take a few months to get but I ended up paying about $1100 for it. I do not think I have paid msrp for any firearm. Maybe the new lever gun will be less when they actually sell over the counter.

Top Bottom