Ruger is proud to announce the release of the Marlin Model 336 Classic. Chambered in .30-30 Win.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Sad to see that they stayed with the hooded front sight. Lame for many reasons.

Steel Post would be easier to manufacture, stronger, quicker and easier to pick up along with being a tool to lance a face open.

Hood deters light to the sight and if you remove the hood, you expose a thin delicate unsightly front sight.

Designers are not often the users and marketing wags the dog.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    330   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Looks good but no thanks on the crossbolt safety.

I'm not surprised at the $1200 price tag, the 1895 45-70s are selling for $2000. Get what you can.

I appreciate people liking lever guns these days, but the spike in prices is putting a damper on my personal collection's buying power. Lol.

Last edited:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Designers are not often the users and marketing wags the dog.
    I'm a contractor by trade, and I see this issue daily.
    Anytime you see the term "field fit" in the installation instructions you know you're about to have loads of fun.
    Light fixtures, plumbing fixtures, small appliances like range hoods, bath exhaust fans...
    designers and engineers should be required BY LAW to successfully install their own designs in a real-world type setting before allowing the products to market.
    They wouldn't do a lot of things they do if they were on the other end...

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I agree, but banging your front sight against a tree on a hunt can put a damper on things too. I've seen enough bent-in 336 front hoods to know why they do it.
    I've seen plenty of front sight hoods that have a hole drilled in the top to allow better lighting on the front sight post.
    I actually enjoy the hoods, if they have the cut-out.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I've seen plenty of front sight hoods that have a hole drilled in the top to allow better lighting on the front sight post.
    I actually enjoy the hoods, if they have the cut-out.
    My lever action sports a gold bead and a bullseye rear sight . I believe Midway carried them at one time. For me I have found it to be very quick to acquire and accurate.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I'm a contractor by trade, and I see this issue daily.
    Anytime you see the term "field fit" in the installation instructions you know you're about to have loads of fun.
    Light fixtures, plumbing fixtures, small appliances like range hoods, bath exhaust fans...
    designers and engineers should be required BY LAW to successfully install their own designs in a real-world type setting before allowing the products to market.
    They wouldn't do a lot of things they do if they were on the other end...
    You mean like having to remove the air mass meter so you can take the cover off of the air cleaner housing so you can remove the back half of the air cleaner housing, so you can remove the battery and a fuse panel housing so you can remove the lower battery box so you can tighten a radiator hose clamp? That is what I did after dinner this evening.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I do like the Rifle, like Mgderf said, I remember them at the lower price, so the $1200 sticker shock is tough.

Below the 336 was a plain version with a painted birch stock called a 30AS that was sold through department stores. I remember thinking long and hard and not spending the extra $60 for the better Marlin 336. Something about having my son go hungry for a couple weeks and his pregnant mother wanting go to the Dr. Funny how those little details get in the way of American walnut wth checkering.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Sure is pretty. Price is painful, though. I don't mind the front sight hoods, but if you actually shoot the gun they tend to fly off under recoil...at least that's my experience.

Reactions: Leo
    Top Bottom