• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Now I did install a Wolff, shooters spring pack for the GP-100 and boy was that easy.
    I used the lightest springs first and the SA pull was comfortably south of 3#, the DA pull dropped from roughly 14# down to 8# and is smooth enough that you can stage each shot easily.
    I have come away with a new respect for the Rugers.
    Smith & Wesson makes a better factory trigger than the Ruger, that's for sure...
    But the Ruger triggers can be improved and that makes a huge difference in their performance...
    Once the trigger is smoothed out and the springs are lightened, the compatibilities are amazing...
    After that, I've found the Ruger's to be a bit more rugged in nature...and accuracy and reliability are excellent!

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Smith & Wesson makes a better factory trigger than the Ruger, that's for sure...
    But the Ruger triggers can be improved and that makes a huge difference in their performance...
    Once the trigger is smoothed out and the springs are lightened, the compatibilities are amazing...
    After that, I've found the Ruger's to be a bit more rugged in nature...and accuracy and reliability are excellent!

Yep

retyree98

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Brooklyn
    I've had Ruger wheel guns most of my life. .357's in speed six, , security six, GP100, Black hawks, red hawks, and the super red hawk in Ruger .480. Tens of thousands of rounds and never had an issue. Real work horses.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Unintended burrs that didn't get knocked off are the nemesis of a great action, I've seen it in all brands including S&W. I took a 642 from 17# DA down to 10# without a spring pack, I didn't feel the need to go any lower.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Unintended burrs that didn't get knocked off are the nemesis of a great action, I've seen it in all brands including S&W. I took a 642 from 17# DA down to 10# without a spring pack, I didn't feel the need to go any lower.
    I have a 340 that needs some work...probably a spring kit too...will probably get to it this fall at some point?

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I have a Ruger revolver problem...I have too many and want more. The only Rugers I've ever let go were guns of the newer plastic variety...their classic revolvers are excellent, reliable workhorses and I've got quite a few, and still have a couple on my short list.

S&W makes a nice revolver, too, but the only area where I can really justify getting one over the Rugers is their lightweight scandium models. Rugers are beefy chunks of steel, and not the lightest thing for carrying in gym shorts or on a long backpacking trip (I know, there's the LCR, but I just can't get comfortable with a plastic revolver).

357 Terms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Between SB and FT.W
    Last edited:

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    I have a Ruger SP-101 snubby, and LOVE it. I know, as long as I live long enough, I WILL one day, soon I hope, add a GP-100 to the stable. I`d like a snubby, but would consider a 4" barrel to make it legal for deer hunting.

I have a question though, aren`t there a great many GP-100 models? I know I`ll want mine in .357 Magnum, but other than that, I don`t know about the various models.

Would the 7-round cylinder be of concern for long-term use versus the 6-shot cylinder?
    I have a Wiley Clapp version in hawkeye blue. It has a few custom features from the factory on this model, such as a Novak rear sight, brass bead front sight, custom fingerprint grips, tapered cylinder, 3" barrel, etc. It's a bit heavy for carry but doable with a good holster and belt.

Top Bottom