• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • retyree98

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Brooklyn
    The rifle and scope were no issue. Not sure of the exact weight.

The smartest thing was use a great sling that stayed in place. I used a Quake Claw sling. The gun never moved.

Also really limited what I carried in, ounces lead to pounds and pounds lead to pain. Sucked it up, if it didn’t fit in a pocket it didn’t go for the day. Much different than walking a corn field to my deer stand with a loaded day pack. Makes you think about what you really need and what you could do without.

Overall this was an incredible experience all around from camp to the hunts. Already planning an antelope hunt and maybe an archery hunt for another bear.
    When you look south, you will see a green hue in the night sky. That is the envy shining out from my mind. And I'll bet I'm not alone. While I am happy for you, parts of me are very jealous. Grats on a successful hunt.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    The rifle and scope were no issue. Not sure of the exact weight.

The smartest thing was use a great sling that stayed in place. I used a Quake Claw sling. The gun never moved.

Also really limited what I carried in, ounces lead to pounds and pounds lead to pain. Sucked it up, if it didn’t fit in a pocket it didn’t go for the day. Much different than walking a corn field to my deer stand with a loaded day pack. Makes you think about what you really need and what you could do without.

Overall this was an incredible experience all around from camp to the hunts. Already planning an antelope hunt and maybe an archery hunt for another bear.

People don't realize how big of a deal a good sling really. I've actually been looking at a Tab Gear Biathlon Sling: https://www.tabgear.com/products/biathlon-sling just for this very type of hunt. I'll take a look at the sling you mentioned too.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Finally had the hunt last week. Bear camp was in the Idaho Panhandle National Forest. Ended up finding a slightly used Ruger American in 308. Used a Federal 180 gr Power Shok bullet. Worked like a charm. One shot 40 yards, down in 20 yards.

The camp, vistas and experience were unbelievable for this flatlander. View attachment 142257 View attachment 142258 View attachment 142259

I had to come back to this thread again just for the pics.... Looks absolutely awesome!

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    People don't realize how big of a deal a good sling really. I've actually been looking at a Tab Gear Biathlon Sling: https://www.tabgear.com/products/biathlon-sling just for this very type of hunt. I'll take a look at the sling you mentioned too.
    I've used the Quake sling and it's better than most but have since switched all of my hunting rigs to Slogan Outdoor slings (there's another company that makes essentially the same sling as well but I forget the name). With the Slogan sling, the rifle stays in place through almost any activity you'd normally do while hunting and it has dual straps so you can loop one over your head if you ever need additional stability.

Top Bottom