• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wildcatfan.62

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 9, 2011
    South Bend
    Need some advice from the rifle guys for a possible bear hunt this spring in Idaho. I've got the opportunity to go on a 5-day bear hunt in Idaho in the spring. I currently deer hunt with a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creed. I upgraded the scope that came on the 6.5 with a better Vortex scope I picked up from A&A Optics (great guy and on the site).

I'm thinking of getting the same gun in 308 for the bear hunt and swap out the stock with a Magpul Hunter American Stock. I have a Vortex scope I can mount on the new gun from the original 6.5 combo. The guys I'm hunting with say most shots are 100 yards and in.

I'm thinking:
    The Magpul stock is supposed to be a drop in so I can use it for both rifles to improve the rifle I'm using. I can swap out on either rifle.
    The Vortex scope from the 6.5 is OK and should be good enough for a 100-yard shot.
    I've read the 308 is enough for the size bears we'll be hunting.
    I’ve been very happy with the overall function of the Ruger American Predator and not looking to change since I can use the upgraded stock on either. (In my mind the factory stock is the weak link of the gun).

What do you rifle guys think of this plan for a guy with a limited budget and trying to improve my deer rifle by having the Magpul stock I can swap out on both rifles?

What bullet would you recommend for bear in the 308?

If you have a Magpul Hunter Stock -was it truly drop in and is it as easy to swap as it looks?

Thanks in advance,

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    I bought a Stevens 200 (Savage model 10) from a member that used it on a black bear hunt. It was also a .308. I had it rebarrelled to a .458 SOCOM to use for a Indiana legal deer rifle before they started the private property hipower rule. When I bought the 200, it came with a partial box of 150 grain Federal loaded with Nosler Partitions. 2 rounds fired from that box and it accounted for a bear. Partitions are a good bullet, but you should find what your rifle likes and run with that load.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I had a magpul stock on a REM 700 .308 as a deer/coyote/hog rifle for a while. Accuracy was decent, but that was a heavy sucker. Took a nice buck at 304 yards, but still didn’t think the weight was worth it. If you’re exclusively still hunting, it might not be too bad.

Why not use 6.5 Creedmoor for black bear? With the right ammo, seems like it would be suitable. Not that I would ever discourage a new gun though...

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    The great Col. Cooper chose the 308 Winchester for anything under 1,000lbs in North America. I'm not sure what bullet he used for bear. Personally I'd go for a heavy for caliber bullet that will give you good penetration. One of them new fancy monolithic bullets.

CZ evo3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 17, 2017
    Carrollton
    Everyone keeps mentioning black bears, but the OP just said bear hunt, and the title said Idaho. Are we sure we are planning for the correct species?

wildcatfan.62

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 9, 2011
    South Bend
    Thanks for the replies. I had a chance to handle a RAP with the Magpul stock and a scope. It was heavy at almost 11 lbs all in. His gun was a build in 6.5 used to bench rest shoot. My buddy said if he was going to use the rifle to hunt he’d probably use cut down carbon fiber arrows with JB Weld in the forearm. Should stiffen the forearm. I think that’s the route I’m going to go. I guess YouTube really is our friend...

I still like the idea of adding a 308 to my limited line up. The guide we’ll be using recommended the 308 as his personal minimum.

Thanks to all that viewed and those that replied.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Not what you asked about, but the Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle is a pretty easy carry. Likely would be Col Cooper approved.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Everyone keeps mentioning black bears, but the OP just said bear hunt, and the title said Idaho. Are we sure we are planning for the correct species?

Since hunting griz is illegal, I'm going to assume the op means black bear.

I've never hunter bear in Idaho, but I have hunted in hells canyon Oregon where I glassed a bear in Idaho. I killed a bear with a 308 (168 gr amax).

I question the people your hunting with saying 100 yds and in, but I would assume they know their business better than I do.

308 is plenty, as is the 6.5. Everyone talks about x bullet vs y bullet. That gives you room for error in shot placement. No matter which caliber or bullet you choose accuracy is everything. If you put a 30 cal, or a 6.5 cal hole in both lungs, that bear is not long for this world. On the flip side, you put a 33 cal in his hind quarters, your in for a long day. Accuracy is everything.

Personally I would not look at the magpul stock. I would hunt with whatever rifle you shoot the best in the factory stock. Wieght of the rifle is going to matter a lot more than you think.

If you want to upgrade something, I'd look 10 fold at good binos over a stock. Binos will be the most important thing you take with you. You will spend hours looking through binos, and seconds through your scope.

Madmax

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Indy Southeast
    I think your decision to go .308 is a good idea. Why pay 30-40 dollars a box for over powered ammo when you can find .308 in a hardware store next to the 30-30 and 30-06. your .308 will actually rise 3" at 100 and 5-6 " low at two hundred. Get a heavy bullet known for expansion and start gnawing on the bear hind quarter. borrow a 44 mag sidearm for a camp gun just in case. Don't want them gnawing on you.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    A 6.5 CM is more than adequate for a black bear at 100 yards or less. It is more than adequate for much larger game (like elk) out to 500 yards. I would not waste the time and money on going to a .308 unless its just for something to entertain you. There is really not significant difference between the 2.

Dirty Steve

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Finally had the hunt last week. Bear camp was in the Idaho Panhandle National Forest. Ended up finding a slightly used Ruger American in 308. Used a Federal 180 gr Power Shok bullet. Worked like a charm. One shot 40 yards, down in 20 yards.

The camp, vistas and experience were unbelievable for this flatlander.

Beautiful bear, beautiful country, and a nice looking camp. Congratulations!

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Glad to see it all worked out. How'd you feel about the rifle weight as a flatlander out west? I took a heavy barreled 24" 30-06 into the hills of Wisconsin once and after that lighter weight rifles seemed to make more sense to me.

Those pictures look great too.

wildcatfan.62

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 9, 2011
    South Bend
    Glad to see it all worked out. How'd you feel about the rifle weight as a flatlander out west? I took a heavy barreled 24" 30-06 into the hills of Wisconsin once and after that lighter weight rifles seemed to make more sense to me.

Those pictures look great too.
    The rifle and scope were no issue. Not sure of the exact weight.

The smartest thing was use a great sling that stayed in place. I used a Quake Claw sling. The gun never moved.

Also really limited what I carried in, ounces lead to pounds and pounds lead to pain. Sucked it up, if it didn’t fit in a pocket it didn’t go for the day. Much different than walking a corn field to my deer stand with a loaded day pack. Makes you think about what you really need and what you could do without.

Overall this was an incredible experience all around from camp to the hunts. Already planning an antelope hunt and maybe an archery hunt for another bear.

Top Bottom