RSOs view of the world.. Training or the lack of it :)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    90 or 180 degrees aside, that dude's scope was on backards! Not backwards, backards!! The little lookin-through end was where the big seein-out end shoulda been.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    I've been spending a little time in the range lately and thought I would update.. Overheard yesterday "Where is the safety on this" response "It doesn't have one" Huge eye roll:rolleyes: accompanied by the, "are you crazy" look, then elbows on the table to shoot at 5 yards.:lmfao:

Tell me what this is.. Sorry for the poor pic but it appeared to be 10/22s mounted in tandem with a hand crank to fire them intermittently..

1620561019508.jpeg

Note position of the target, maybe 6 feet out. Fortunately it was airsoft but a bad idea because when they come back with a 22 it will be headed for the roof of the range and if she handles a real firearm like this the slide will bounce off her nose. Also why come to the range to train your mom with airsoft??

1620561242679.jpeg

Reactions: Ark

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I've been spending a little time in the range lately and thought I would update.. Overheard yesterday "Where is the safety on this" response "It doesn't have one" Huge eye roll:rolleyes: accompanied by the, "are you crazy" look, then elbows on the table to shoot at 5 yards.:lmfao:

Tell me what this is.. Sorry for the poor pic but it appeared to be 10/22s mounted in tandem with a hand crank to fire them intermittently..

View attachment 139144

Note position of the target, maybe 6 feet out. Fortunately it was airsoft but a bad idea because when they come back with a 22 it will be headed for the roof of the range and if she handles a real firearm like this the slide will bounce off her nose. Also why come to the range to train your mom with airsoft??

View attachment 139145
    Top pic: so this guy looked at some of the things mounted on Technicals (usually white Toyota pickups, just sayin...) in war-torn regions around the world, then saw a deal on 2-packs of BX-25 mags, AND THEN invested enough money to buy a nice AR, a Mossberg 500, and a Glock. Now he has exactly what for what purpose? Something different to put holes in paper for certain, and it does look cool. Defense against drones? A shotgun used for waterfowl hunting would be a better choice. Hoards of lawless rioters? AR.

Not my money...

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Kinda forgot about this thread, man, it’s really giving me flashbacks. I got out of the range business, just didn’t have the patience anymore. Dealing with the same idiocy day in and day out just beat me down. It wasn’t really all the new shooters that the pandemic and unrest brought out of the woodwork, a good majority of those people wanted to be safe and learn, it was mainly the operators that would bring 25 guns with them, at least half of them rifles, and want to sight in their new scope at 12 feet.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    RE: Airsoft

With the price of ammo being what it is and the lack there of I think airsoft is a great idea for someone that doesn't even know the safety rules.

I have one that matches my EDC. Slide moves when fired so a new shooter could get a very basic idea.

Also maybe bringing her to the range gets her started because of all the sights, sounds and smells. Keep her from jumping when the guy in the next lane mag dumps.

Then again, maybe she was paying and the guy thought what the hell, lets go have some real fun. Now she can tell her friends that she went to the range and shot.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

View attachment 139144
    That's exactly what it is. They sell a kit for it, just supply the 10-22s. IIRC they also had a 3 10-22 model, they rotated like a Gatling gun. You had to remove the trigger guards for that one.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County

View attachment 139144

View attachment 139145
    WT actual F
    No ones mother should be subjected to that

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Overheard on my way out after an RSO shift.. Customer "do you have any Glock 24 round mags" Salesperson "sorry, we do not", idiot salesperson "we have 32 round mags, you can load 24 in that"..Obviously a math major. :lmfao:
    In all fairness, there are help wanted signs EVERYWHERE right now. The starting point guard is now the third-string freshman bench-warmer.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Overheard on my way out after an RSO shift.. Customer "do you have any Glock 24 round mags" Salesperson "sorry, we do not", idiot salesperson "we have 32 round mags, you can load 24 in that"..Obviously a math major. :lmfao:
    Better than the guy at Point Blank who was insisting that the 22 caliber cleaning rods they had would "no doubt" work in my 17 caliber gun... And he had seen it "done many times". To which I simply said no and left. At least what your person suggested would actually work.

(I seldom go there but was on a mission for a specific item... Which I later found out the RK I drive past to get there, had read y in stock... A couple of weeks after I just went ahead and ordered online elsewhere)

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    Easily 90% of the "training" I see going on in the range consists of people that have absolutely no idea of what they are doing but speaking like a USPSA Grand master. I know that being judgemental is above my pay grade and at times I try to talk with some but I usually end up biting my tongue. Watching while people miss targets (the whole 23 X 35 paper) at 5 yards and handing out band-aids for bleeding thumbs. It starts out being comical but by the end of the shift it's really very sad. 20 GA shells in 12 GA guns, 380 in 9MM, 9MM in 40 and 40 in 45. A guy complaining that his new 38 spl revolver would not accept 380 ammo and even a PMR30 that refused to function with 22 LR ammo. If you've never tried to clear a PMR30 mag of 22 LR ammo shove a couple in a mag sometime, you're in for a treat.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    “Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public”

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]
    I am a Reliability Engineer. About 25 years ago when working at a chemical plant in Indpls, I asked a trusted vendor, who I am still friends with and utilize today, Are other companies you go to as effed up as we are (reliability wise, was a good company)? The answer was a nod with a sh t eating grin. Sounds like this phenomenon crosses all boundaries in life, like we didn’t know that already!

GSPBirdDog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Henryville
    ALL 32 pages of this post remind me how I NEVER want to be an RSO at a PUBLIC range!!! I used to be a VIP member at Open Range in Crestwood, KY. Even though it was right across the river from Indiana, every time I went there was an adventure! Seeing people all Gucci' d out with all of their high end range gear and guns but either hit the lights in the ceiling or bounce rounds off the floor.... NO JOKE! I am always one to help as I think that is what the 2A community is all about but I got tired of helping the poor souls that bought their $30 optics that came with a light and laser off of Amazon. I would spend the majority of my time explaining why the optic won't track or sight in. Then dealing with guys that had $2,000 optics on custom rifles with the 20moa base mounted backwards. It just got to be too much then Covid happened.... Ain't been back since! I do miss the 100 yard indoor range though.....It was a great place to do load development no matter what the weather was!

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Often preceded by the comment "Uncle Sugar gave me all the training I need"

Attachments

• Custom Image 10072021180823.jpg
      Custom Image 10072021180823.jpg
      136.5 KB · Views: 40
    Top Bottom