• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Anyone have any good tips for organizing your stuff in a basic aluminum fishing boat? I've got a new to me 12' aluminum Lund. The couple times I was out last fall with it I got kinda frustrated that there was no good way to keep my stuff organized. It just kinda lays in the bottom.

I was thinking about finding some kind of hook and strap system that would let me hang stuff from the gunwales and rest against the side of the boat instead of just laying in the bottom getting stepped on.

And we dont take lots of stuff, typically. Just a small tackle box with only what we need for the trip, along with a bait cup.

Suggestions?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I need some sort of rod holder. Hate having them in the way. Some sort of paddle holder, too. Keep it out of they way and off the floor. Thought about hanging the paddle outside of the boat, so it isn't taking up any space at all.

I try to "hard mount" as much as I can before we go out the first time. Trolling motor, fish finder, etc.. Try to keep the carry-ons to a minimum. Just rods, tackle box (and I downsize what goes in the boat), and cooler.

Of course, I also need a bigger boat. The three of us really push our little jon boat to its limit. Add in the dog... suddenly a pontoon sounds small.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Im with ya. I also am trying to find a good rod holder. Ive got a 4 rod push-in holder screwed to the top of two of the benches which works ok. But its not ideal. Ive tried two clamp-on rod holders for someplace to put my rod while I'm doing other stuff with my bait in the water (baiting kids' hooks, getting a drink, etc) So far no luck due to how the sides are braced. They just dont clamp well. And I want to drill holes as an absolute last resort.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    We were in a different mode with our canoes as we had to portage them over some long distances through rough terrain so weight was an issue.

I made holders out of hook and loop material, fastened to various parts of the canoe. Then I could hook rods and paddles into them to keep them secure while paddling or portaging.

I bought rolls of the stuff and sewed them to fit the need. Used them on packs to for various items; maps, water bottles, etc.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    We were in a different mode with our canoes as we had to portage them over some long distances through rough terrain so weight was an issue.

I made holders out of hook and loop material, fastened to various parts of the canoe. Then I could hook rods and paddles into them to keep them secure while paddling or portaging.

I bought rolls of the stuff and sewed them to fit the need. Used them on packs to for various items; maps, water bottles, etc.
    Ive considered gluing sheets of Velcro loop to the side that way I can apply hook velcro to things like my small tackle box and then just stick it to the wall like astronauts do.

And by small, I mean one like that is sitting on the tailgate on the website header graphic.

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Ive considered gluing sheets of Velcro loop to the side that way I can apply hook velcro to things like my small tackle box and then just stick it to the wall like astronauts do.

And by small, I mean one like that is sitting on the tailgate on the website header graphic.
    On my trips, my son and I set up two of those thin boxes with the lures we needed. Unlike when my brother came, we didn't see the need to carry a full tackle box. We took what we felt would catch fish and some extras in case we lost some.

I have found I catch more fish with baits in the water vs. constantly changing baits in my boat.

Your Velcro idea is really not far-fetched.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yep, we arent fancy. Snells, lead split shot, hook removal tools, and then another palm size box with a handful of spoons and other small lures for when we want to try something other than a nightcrawler. I dont bother to bring my tool box size tackle box anymore. That stays in the car in case we decide we want something more.

Top Bottom