• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    Trying to get onto SB I69 from WB DuPont Road is absolutely insane. As a punishment, I want whomever came up with that design to have to negotiate it over and over for the entire rush hour for a month. Oh, and the same for Tom Henry as well.
    Henry won't be Driving for the next 90 Days due to the Old Mill Rd. Roundabout!

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Me when I see a roundabout.
    My brain. Yep looks clear in every direction...we got this.
    My inner 16 year old...bet we can make it around faster than we did last time.

*note the roundabouts I encounter the most are in the rural area of a little town called Whiteland.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Me when I see a roundabout.
    My brain. Yep looks clear in every direction...we got this.
    My inner 16 year old...bet we can make it around faster than we did last time.

*note the roundabouts I encounter the most are in the rural area of a little town called Whiteland.
    I've made the early morning mistake of forgetting which vehicle I'm in and the appropriate entry speed for the roundabout. For some reason a 20' long 5500lb truck on 245/70/17 truck tires does not react the same way as my 2013 Rio SX on coilovers and 205/50 RT615's. But I learned that yes, you can enter that one at 40 in the truck and not die. You just won't stay in your lane nor maintain that speed.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    For a city called 'circle city', there are a lot of peeps that can't figure out how to safely and effectively navigate a roundabout. The left hand turn signals... They are efficient though. Data says that auto accidents in roundabouts are less serious with lesser injuries. My insurance agent says the biggest hiccup with accidents in roundabouts is finding fault. I do wish there was more consistency to the size and lanes directions.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    th

Overhead view of the NobodyGo roundabout.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    It does happen but even if there is an accident they are much more survivable and less costly…
    Head on is head on, I would think that head on after a four way stop is a bit slower... There are a few circumstances where roundabouts make sense, like when 5 roads intersect at the same place. Apparently the old story about the cowpath was alive and well in northern Indiana....

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Head on is head on, I would think that head on after a four way stop is a bit slower... There are a few circumstances where roundabouts make sense, like when 5 roads intersect at the same place. Apparently the old story about the cowpath was alive and well in northern Indiana....
    Just not the same speeds as four way stops…

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    My niece's husband does traffic planning for his city and they are all in for roundabounds and are putting them in as fast as they can pay for them. Most times they result in fewer accidents but sometimes not, depends on the intersection, but what makes the deal work is that in every single study they result in reduced fatals.

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    While roundabouts do have more initial cost due to more land acquisition they are cheaper and safer in the long run.

“Citing a study released by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), the WSDOT says roundabouts typically reduce injury crashes by 75 percent at intersections where stop signs or signals were previously used. The WSDOT says roundabouts deliver:”

• a 37 percent reduction in overall collisions,
    • a 90 percent reduction in fatality collisions and
    • a 40 percent reduction in pedestrian collisions.
    “According to the WSDOT, the reasons for the reduction of serious collisions at roundabouts are three-fold.”

“Travel speeds are low in a roundabout. Drivers must slow down and yield to traffic before entering a roundabout. Speeds in a roundabout are typically 15 to 20 mph. Because of this, the few collisions that occur in roundabouts are typically minor.”

“A roundabout has no light to beat. Roundabout intersections are designed to promote a continuous, circular flow of traffic. Since traffic never stops in a roundabout, drivers have no incentive to speed up to “beat the light,” as they might in a traditional intersection.”

“Traffic only flows one way through a roundabout. Roads leading into a roundabout are gently curved to direct drivers to travel counterclockwise through the intersection. The curve in the road and single direction of travel eliminate the possibility for a T-bone or head-on collision.”

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    They are going to install one in Dubois County at Bretzville Junction (intersection of 162 and 64). It will be the first one that I know of in Dubois County, and possibly the surrounding counties, so it will be a giant mess for awhile.

The closest thing we have is the square around the courthouse in Jasper, and the traffic flow for that is bass ackwards. The incoming traffic has the right of way and traffic in the square has to yield.

I love round abouts, but they can be a mess if nobody knows how to use them.
    Local news just released an article about the roundabout coming to Dubois county and people are losing thier minds over it. You would think they just anounce they state is going to start killing all first borns.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    The weird one I like is I believe what is called a double diamond.
    it does take about 4-5 times to get down what they are doing and everything seems to be counter to the way it should be on a road.
    once you get it down they are sweet little intersections

Top Bottom