• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I saw that Carmel is averaging just two fatalities per year with less than two fatalities per 100,000 residents per year. The national average is over eleven fatalities per 100,000 residents. This also plays into cheaper insurance rates for residents and those that work there. Hopefully more communities and states will adopt them...

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Roundabouts only work if everyone knows what they are and how they operate. I watched a lady go left instead of right, directly into oncoming traffic... Public service messaging is crucial...but I haven't seen one yet...
    It does happen but even if there is an accident they are much more survivable and less costly…

tmcindy

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2014
    Avon, IN
    I saw that Carmel is averaging just two fatalities per year with less than two fatalities per 100,000 residents per year. The national average is over eleven fatalities per 100,000 residents. This also plays into cheaper insurance rates for residents and those that work there. Hopefully more communities and states will adopt them...
    I grew up there. It looks nothing like when I lived there.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Having moved to PA, land of continuous stop lights, I sooooo miss all of the roundabouts. It takes freaking forever to drive anywhere around here. The safety issue is another bonus, but the time savings is the thing readily noticeable to me driving around small communities with considerably less population and way more traffic problems.

cburnworth

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    I really wish people would learn to drive in them. i hate people coming to a complete stop & then sitting there forever, by the time they finally get going it throws off the rest of the traffic. I really wish they would think about semis & trucks with trailers when making some of them.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I really wish people would learn to drive in them. i hate people coming to a complete stop & then sitting there forever, by the time they finally get going it throws off the rest of the traffic. I really wish they would think about semis & trucks with trailers when making some of them.
    Seems like it's typically older drivers that have a hard time with these. Maybe if they bought PSA time on CNN and Fox News where they get most of their news?

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    It's just going to take some time. It is something new and not everyone gets something spot on the first time they try something new.

If that were the case, we'd all be able to shoot like Rob Leatham and never get a procedural during a match.

I have watched my wife go from not having an idea how to circumnavigate one to being so smooth. This is due to her using one on the way to see my mom which she/we do at least once per week.

Some will never get it, just like they still don't get 4-way stops or how to merge onto the interstate but most will.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Many Hoosiers still seem mystified by them. They will stop before entering when nothing is coming. One of the biggest issues seems to be when there are 2 lanes entering. You need to be in your lane entering the round about, not change lanes after you are in it and someone is next to you.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Is round about etiquette covered in drivers ed? Sure wasn’t when I had it many many many years ago!
    Sure they do. All you have to know is how to handle yield signs and use turn signals. Sadly though, most people are too stupid to know how to do either.

I also love roundabouts. Some are not designed all that well, but they all let traffic flow better.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I don't know where y'all live where all these drivers are confused by roundabouts. I've lived in Hamilton County (roundabout capital of the world it seems) for the better part of 16 years and I rarely see anyone have trouble with them. Like close to never.

I'm close to SR 37 where they have been installing them for the past few years to reduce stoplights from Fishers up to Noblesville. It's so much less congested now. I love me some roundabouts.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    A well designed round about, in the proper situation is good, I think.

Roundabouts in a 55 mph stretch of highway? You’ll have to convince me.

1666266899099.png

Top Bottom