• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

I'm thinking about getting this for my sit in the yard, coon hunting rifle. Something cheap that I don't have to worry about getting beat up. Also a bolt action I can shoot the quiet rds in.

Anyone have one of these? If so how are they?
    My dad has the Rossi RS22 semiautomatic version. It's accurate and so far very reliable even with cheap ammunition.

Is there another brand of budget 22lr bolt action rifles that I should be looking at also?
    The Mossberg 802 is basically the same rifle u found out. Only a different stock.

Jont22

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Aug 24, 2019
    Morgan County
    I picked up a savage mark ii fv-sr last week. I haven’t shot it yet, but every review I looked at was positive with the exception of the stock being a little weak. I went with the savage because I wanted something I can put my suppressor on in 9 months.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I am an 'old gun' guy and an 'old gun guy', but it looks like it would be good in the rain.

For a simple tool to get the job done I am sure it will fit the bill, money is money.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I picked up a savage mark ii fv-sr last week. I haven’t shot it yet, but every review I looked at was positive with the exception of the stock being a little weak. I went with the savage because I wanted something I can put my suppressor on in 9 months.
    I've got my 10/22 if I want to get serious about shooting. I just want a cheapo for mostly shooting quite rds like the Agulia Colibri or CCI CB rds. Mostly to sit in my lawn chair and pick off chipmunks and other rodents.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Hey dad smith.

there are single shot and bolt action rifles perfect for what you want on the used market. One on every farm in america pretty much. 189 dollar plus tax budget. I would look to the used market before I bought the Rossi new. I think you can still get a deal somewhere for a single shot .22 LR somewhere. If you just need a good pre owned beater

my thoughts on the Rossi which I shot twice.
    kinda ugly. (Not every been a fan of the black plastic stocks that get real warm in the sun. . The stock was better scoped than open sights for me. I like more of a euro stick like CZ makes on the lid for open sights but Mag does not fit flush. (Give me a four of five rounder flush with the stock.) keep the other 5-6 rounds) the open sights were pretty close together and I shoot open sights with more distance between them better.) action was smooth but not butter like. Trigger was ok (like a construction site super model.) I did like the glow sights and a small four power scope installed and stayed in. Place well. Accuracy was acceptable but nothing to write home about.

I would look at and older Steven on savage maybe a marlin tube mag bolt with the microgroove barrel.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I'm a sucker for older used Marlin .22s. I keep finding them at gun stores, and they keep following me home. They tend to be affordable, accurate, and reliable with more character than comparably priced new stuff.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    Agulia Colibri
    Be careful with these in a rifle, see the warning on Midway USA:

The Super Colibri has a bit more punch:

YMMV, I have seen mixed reports for both of these in rifles.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I've shot almost 50 rds of Colibri out of a Cricket rifle without issues. But that's a sample size of 1.

The good news is that even if you get a lodged bullet - a subsequent bullet down the bore PROBABLY won't hurt anything or cause a catastrophic failure.

But now that I say all that, I need to go determine which ammo it is that I've used - the standard or Super.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    I've shot almost 50 rds of Colibri out of a Cricket rifle without issues. But that's a sample size of 1.
    On other forums the reports are mixed. Longer/tighter barrels have more issues.

I posted the link to the warning in case. The regular Colibri are quieter than my CO2 pellet pistol when fired from my .22 revolver. Not a whole lot of oomph there.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I agree with Jmarriot, look at the used market. Pawn shops tend to have a metric sh%t ton of bolt, and semi-auto's in stock....I've seen real nice old Remington's just sitting on the shelves, while the tacticool guns move out, I love them, but shoot lefty, but some day my take my own advice....Good luck with which ever way you go!

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    On other forums the reports are mixed. Longer/tighter barrels have more issues.

I posted the link to the warning in case. The regular Colibri are quieter than my CO2 pellet pistol when fired from my .22 revolver. Not a whole lot of oomph there.

My grandson shot a brick of the Colibri through a Winchester 69 without a single hiccup...

BMWRich

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I have yet to have any problems shooting Colibri out of my (non-auto) Henry .22 GoldenBoy or Pump action rifles.
    Both rifles are “way” quieter than my Gamo .177 cal pellet rifle. (this in a suburban back yard)
    Hitting at 30’, a 5/16” thick poly target they make a minor “click sound” and just bounce off.
    On the other, when shooting Super Colibri”,.....(which has a bit more #ss behind the bullet and a “titch louder” when fired),...
    They,...the “Super Colibri”...actually penetrate my poly target and poke a little bit out the back.
    (seen in photos)
    I have found, when shooting either Colibri or Super out of a short barreled handgun,..they will produce a “bark” which probably will be bothersome to a nosey neighbor.

Attachments

• 65C3D24A-DDAF-483B-9E97-B73E5C44D7AE.jpeg
      65C3D24A-DDAF-483B-9E97-B73E5C44D7AE.jpeg
      760 KB · Views: 7
    • 842E530A-52BB-4EDF-B7DE-870F12436A0D.jpeg
      842E530A-52BB-4EDF-B7DE-870F12436A0D.jpeg
      708.5 KB · Views: 7

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Yes, I too have shot colibris out of rifles successfully. In my case, both the standard and super out of an old Mossy with an 18" barrel. It is certainly good to be cautious but from what I've seen the standard will leave a rifle barrel with enough power to penetrate the cover of an old hardcover Cabelas catalog and a super will penetrate several pages deep.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana

The good news is that even if you get a lodged bullet - a subsequent bullet down the bore PROBABLY won't hurt anything or cause a catastrophic failure.

But now that I say all that, I need to go determine which ammo it is that I've used - the standard or Super.
    I need to correct. I checked the ammo the other day. It was indeed the Super Colibri that we were shooting out of the Cricket. Mea Culpa.

Hulberr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2021
    Angola
    I'm a sucker for older used Marlin .22s. I keep finding them at gun stores, and they keep following me home. They tend to be affordable, accurate, and reliable with more character than comparably priced new stuff.
    Same here, I find it difficult to leave any old 22's in the gun store especially Marlins.

wfbbarb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2022
    Fort Wayne
    Rossi RS22
    Picked up at RK for $104.99
    added $29 Barska 3 x 9 x 32 from Amazon
    800 rounds later runs flawlesly
    25 yard indoor range in Ft Wayne
    3/8" group with mini mag rnl