• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Small's

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    south of Indy
    Do any of you guys have these three or had first hand experience with them? I can get all of them for around the same price. Leaning towards a Romeo 5, then crossfire cause of the warranty and last hs403b. I like the idea of the first two being able to be used on an ar or on a low mount. Also I don't like red dots with blue or orange tints.. this is going on a ar-22. It's not a got to rifle so it's not getting and aimpoint/trijicon or anything outside of these three price range which is around $115-120. Thanks!

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I have a Romeo 5 which I like a lot. My only complaint is that the dot can be a little fuzzy at times, but I attribute that more to my eyesight than anything. I love the small footprint and I haven't had any durability issues or need to re-zero.

The Vortex has pretty much the same footprint butI don't have experience with it. I do have a Vortex Crossfire Strikefire II, but I'm not a huge fan.

Last edited:

BR8818

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 20, 2018
    Anderson
    I have a couple crossfire's and a couple holosun 403c's. The holosuns have blue tint and vortex seem pretty clear maybe just a hint of blue not much. I'm almost home I can post a pic if want.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    I have a couple of the Vortex Crossfire models. They won a second purchase from me when they fulfilled their warranty quickly and without question. I still like it.

My brother has a Crossfire that he has had to return now as well. Starting to make me wonder about the overall quality. He also has a Romeo 5 that he has had no issues with so far.

As far as the Vortex goes, just watch for the rotary switch to start getting funky; The dot disappears until you rotate to another setting and back again. Don't hesitate to call them and send it back.

I'm uncertain if this is based upon time or number of rounds. Both of ours started around 2000 rounds. Kind of wish I went with the Romeo 5 on my second purchase. Time will tell.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I'm personally a fan of holosun if you absolutely positively can't buy a western made optic for some reason.

The blue tint is part of the ridiculous battery life. They work and work well, but it feels like you need to take a shower after giving your money to china. That's going to be the case with any you mentioned.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Have a romeo 5 on a 450 bushmaster ar and it has held up well. No issues after roughly 400 rounds. Have another on order for a recently purchased Ar12.
    I also like the shake awake feature, especially for a home defense weapon

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    FYI, Primary Arms has the Vortex Crossfire 2 in stock for $150, but you get $50 in Bonus Bucks, which I assume can be used on a future order.

Small's

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    south of Indy
    That's a pretty good deal. I ended up ordering the Romeo 5. Found new ones on eBay for $105+ taxes etc. Ended up $112 and some change. After everything I've read here and other places it seems like everyone is happy with the Romeo and from what I've read it has the most natural color to it so we will see!

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    Between my HS403b and Romeo 5 I really can't tell much of a difference between the two in quality. I've had the 403 for about 4 years and the Romeo5 for about 2 years, both are still running on their first batteries. I can't tell much of a blue tint at all and like someone said, it's part of the design to help the battery life anyway.

I haven't babied the optics but no "drop tests" or serious abuse either. They've definetely taken some rough bumps but nothing like a shoulder-height drop onto concrete while mounted to a gun ala Sage dynamics.

If you can find one on sale significantly cheaper than the other, go with the cheaper one. I got my Romeo5 for about $110 shipped and HS403b for about $150 shipped. Faced with those prices again I'd just keep buying Romeo5's.

no experience with crossfire but I do like Vortex optics

Trevelayan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 11, 2014
    Putnam Co.
    I've got 3 Romeo 5s on various guns, and all have been completely fine for a couple years. Holosun and Vortex make decent stuff so it's honestly a toss up. Vortex has a fantastic warranty as well so keep that in mind.

Ketlage

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2021
    Fort Wayne
    I notice the tint on my Holosun, especially if I compare it to a Vortex. But I’m way too impressed with the reticle on the 503g to go back to a simple red dot. It’s like an eotech with shake awake and thousands of hours of battery life. Circle Dot is where it’s at.

Of course it always comes down to what you’re using the optic for but I look for a fast acquisition reticle, high battery life with always on or shake awake since anything I have could be needed and used defensively.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    I now have a second Vortex Crossfire going bad. It really hasn't seen much use, but it is developing the same condition as my previous experiences. After recoil the dot fades out until the rotary switched is dialed to another setting and back again.

I will have to contact Vortex again, but the replacement is probably going on 22LR only. We'll see if they are as quick as last time on the exchange.

As a thread update, I will no longer suggest to anyone the purchase of a Vortex Crossfire unless they enjoy exchanging it for a new one every 6 months.

Elcardo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 14, 2020
    Ft.wayne
    Really like my 5 , the shake awake is great and it just feels well built , I'd like to try something with more of an eotech reticle though

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    I now have a second Vortex Crossfire going bad. It really hasn't seen much use, but it is developing the same condition as my previous experiences. After recoil the dot fades out until the rotary switched is dialed to another setting and back again.

I will have to contact Vortex again, but the replacement is probably going on 22LR only. We'll see if they are as quick as last time on the exchange.

As a thread update, I will no longer suggest to anyone the purchase of a Vortex Crossfire unless they enjoy exchanging it for a new one every 6 months.
    Unfortunately I've been hearing and reading this more and more...and I'm a vortex fanboi. But my last red dot purchase was an Eotech and my next will be a romeo 5. The Sig is proving itself to be a stellar optic and the shake awake feature is great. Vortex needs to reinvigorate their line if red dots.

sloppyjoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 27, 2019
    Brownsburg
    Really like my 5 , the shake awake is great and it just feels well built , I'd like to try something with more of an eotech reticle though
    If you are referring to the 65 moa ring with crosshair, look at the Romeo 5XDR. You can find them on sale for under $200. The battery changes to a AAA and it is a high mount only.

Top Bottom