• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    This is in the carry issues section so im going to ask this question. The news anchor said that the man told police he had shot him. If you put yourself in his shoes do you lawyer up? Obviously its going to come out that you fired the weapon, but should you have a lawyer present before admitting it?

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    I have a vague recollection that a YMCA or rec center (Brownsburg or Plainfield?) staged an unannounced robbery / active shooter drill during open hours a few years ago. Of course, it was perfectly safe, since firearms aren't allowed in the building. They were lucky that nobody took action against the "assailant". (If anyone can provide reliable details or has a better memory, please do so.)

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I have a vague recollection that a YMCA or rec center (Brownsburg or Plainfield?) staged an unannounced robbery / active shooter drill during open hours a few years ago. Of course, it was perfectly safe, since firearms aren't allowed in the building. They were lucky that nobody took action against the "assailant". (If anyone can provide reliable details or has a better memory, please do so.)
    There have been some hospitals that have staged drills where the staff involved were not told that it was a drill -- they thought they were being taken hostage. Nobody stupid got shot, but there were some lawsuits.

And I don't why it was hospitals, but I remember there were three of them, across the country. It's been years, maybe more than a decade, dunno if I can come up with the links any more.

ETA: Some were more recent than I remembered:

Nursing home did not warn worker who was taken hostage in active shooter drill, lawsuit alleges - McKnight's Long Term Care News

Realistic Hospital Hostage Drill Terrifies Patients, Nurses - Los Angeles Times (latimes.com)

'Safety drill' at N.J. hospital leads to lawsuit | Ban Crime Global

Hospital could face fine over terrorism drill gone awry - Las Vegas Sun Newspaper

Last edited:

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    This is in the carry issues section so im going to ask this question. The news anchor said that the man told police he had shot him. If you put yourself in his shoes do you lawyer up? Obviously its going to come out that you fired the weapon, but should you have a lawyer present before admitting it?
    I am not a lawyer, but in my opinion yes. Follow orders anwer needed info (name, show ID), explain you would be happy to answer questions after you get legal counsel. Then STFU.

And I tell my family to do the same and hope they do if something ever happened

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    There have been some hospitals that have staged drills where the staff involved were not told that it was a drill -- they thought they were being taken hostage. Nobody stupid got shot, but there were some lawsuits.

And I don't why it was hospitals, but I remember there were three of them, across the country. It's been years, maybe more than a decade, dunno if I can come up with the links any more.

ETA: Some were more recent than I remembered:

Nursing home did not warn worker who was taken hostage in active shooter drill, lawsuit alleges - McKnight's Long Term Care News

Realistic Hospital Hostage Drill Terrifies Patients, Nurses - Los Angeles Times (latimes.com)

'Safety drill' at N.J. hospital leads to lawsuit | Ban Crime Global

Hospital could face fine over terrorism drill gone awry - Las Vegas Sun Newspaper

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Play stupid games...win stupid prizes!
    This ain't brain-science...it's common sense and logic...and it's about being smart enough to know that engaging the wrong individual, especially in a violent or aggressive manner (aka, considering one's 'presentation') can have unintended consequences!
    When you're not showing respect for others, even if it's intended as a 'prank' that doesn't take the need for being responsibility for one's own actions out of the picture...especially if you're presenting yourself as an 'armed-aggressor' to an unknown subject!
    In the split second (or few seconds) it takes to see the knife, determine the level of threat, and take appropriate action (whether it be to flee, to defend one's loved ones, or to defend one's self, etc.) there's no time to determine 'prank' vs 'violent-aggressor' status!

Last edited:

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I hope the shooter is OK mentally. Totally clean shoot, but still killing a person ... well ..

I hope this doesn't get turned around ... the prep was a poor innocent kid having fun until the Blood lusting, NRA, TRUMPER, Republican, shot him down. We need common sense gun control.

rb288

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 14, 2019
    Grovertown
    Well, all I can say is you want to know what damage social media is doing to our society, this is it.
    Social media addicts have no sense of consequences, no sense of responsibility, no common sense.
    All they want is the visual notoriety, and the 15 minutes of fame, from the "prank" from they thought was a great idea.
    As has been said, "play stupid games, win stupid prizes".

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    It is a shame that a lone moment of stupidity ends a life prematurely, but one does have to wonder if it is indeed premature or later than expected?

We have all made very stupid mistakes and could today tell stories about how narrowly we escaped death. I do not refer to truly unexpected events but things we planned and they backfired.

And yet, when there are a massive number of variables involved, such a another human beings reaction to a perceived threat, one does wonder exactly where how their thinking process was so out of what as to overlook a possible "self-defense" scenario?

Life is dangerous. In the end it always loses to death. Why hasten the inevitable by asking for trouble?

Regards,

Doug

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    this is NOT legal advice even though that's what you asked for...
    I think you're OK establishing yourself as the intended victim and pointing out evidence that might get missed like "his accomplice who looks like xyz ran that way and threw his weapon in those bushes...". IMO you get into trouble discussing details

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Can someone translate this to english or tell me wtf this has to do with any thing?
    Absolutely Nothing. Having first hand Knowledge, This nothing more than a Darwin Award Winner at his finest.

let’s look at this, Old Hickory TN, not exactly known for being a nice Area. So let’s kick it up a notch by picking a dimly lit parking lot, in which to charge someone with a knife, while filming a faux robbery.

On what level does it even remotely seem like a good idea to charge someone with a Deadly Weapon, while expecting a humorous outcom.

what should have been reported was armed citizen forced to take justified, unfortunate action, which resulted in the unfortunate death of an Idiot.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    Pretending to rob someone could traumatize them. Our rights shouldn't end at the end of someone's camera lens. I can't even imagine involving an unpredictable stranger in such a stupid prank.

Although unfortunate, I do believe the shooting was justified.

Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.
    I wonder what would have happened if the tables had flipped. Ive been in sticky situations where ive questioned drawing a weapon and my heart starts racing. What would have happened if the prankster would have given the old man a heart attack and he passed? Would the prankster be held liable?
    Call USCCA today and join, then if something should happen (knock on wood) call as soon as you get off the phone with 911.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Pretending to rob someone could traumatize them. Our rights shouldn't end at the end of someone's camera lens. I can't even imagine involving an unpredictable stranger in such a stupid prank.

Although unfortunate, I do believe the shooting was justified.
    No to get off topic, but I really do not see how someone has a right to involve others especially while filming and use said footage for profit with out a release. Especially when you are basically including others in a video with out express consent.

of course at this point that is a non issue

Top Bottom