• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I am a bit curious as to which one killed the woman. I'd bet good odds the security guard's rounds.
    I'm curious as well, but I wouldn't bet. From the video the scum fires two rounds when he's running out the door. It looks like the first one at least the gun is aimed towards the girls lower torso/pelvis/upper leg area. About 40 seconds and slow motion at about 5:20. It also appears that the scum and the guard almost fired simultaneously on the first shot.

Violent crime will always happen where money is involved, and dispensaries and marijuana farmers are going to be a prime target because of the access to large quantities of cash and pot.

Also I’m betting people are still distributing illegally, just able to do so with less focus and consequences now.
    Dispensaries are almost virtually a cash only business, since it's illegal at the fed level banks won't deal with them for credit/debit card purchases. If it was legalized at the fed level my guess the crime rate at dispensaries would be about the same for liquor stores. As for the farmers, how many distillaries or breweries do you hear about getting robbed?

And for the distributing illegally, yes it is still going on. For a few reasons, one of which is taxes. It makes it cheaper enough to buy illegally and risk the consequences of being caught. I do know of moonshiners as well.
    Dispensaries are so tempting because they are so cash heavy. They are cash heavy because MJ remains Schedule I at the federal level. I don't know anybody claimed legalization was a panacea, but customers are lot less likely to get robbed...
    Yep.
    To my understanding, some take debit cards.
    I don't go to dispensaries (or imbibe anymore for that matter), but from my understanding almost none if any do. Banks by dealing with the dispensaries knowingly would be violating federal law. It's not worth the risk to them to do so.
    I mean, if you know someone's hitting the MJ store, why do you go back in the MJ store? You're already outside, you're already free...run like hell! If the girl in white had just kept going the way she already was, she would have figuratively been a mile away from the shooting when it happened, instead of dead inside her assigned "place of safety." She was home free, and ran right straight back into the jaws. I cannot understand this, unless it's part of a scripted "duck and cover drill" which overrode the employees' normal sense of self-preservation. I would bet in this case, the girl's training literally got her killed.
    I had similar thoughts.

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    I don't go to dispensaries (or imbibe anymore for that matter), but from my understanding almost none if any do. Banks by dealing with the dispensaries knowingly would be violating federal law. It's not worth the risk to them to do so.

No, they do offer that option, debit card in OR. My BIL's coworkers do it all the time.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    No, they do offer that option, debit card in OR. My BIL's coworkers do it all the time.
    That's interesting. From what I've heard most banks won't process transactions from dispensaries due to federal law. The fines and penalties they could be subject to if the feds decided to enforce them are too high risk vs reward. Which is why pretty much all of the growers and dispensaries (non commercial hemp/cbd products excepted) are small businesses rather than large corps. If there wasn't the fed threat hanging over their head I wouldn't be surpised to see marlboro/newport/pall mall/etc branded products.

Could be OR is a bit different in how they handle the processing. Maybe they have an ATM in store?

Here are a couple of articles about it.

From these articles it's probably an ATM or "cashless" ATM.

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    No, you can use your own debit card there in OR and they charge in $5 increment instead of the actual amount and give you cash for change. I don't know the specifics of how it works with the bank but that's what I know about how the dispensary transaction works with debit cards. I don't know if it's all dispensary there have that option but his coworkers are regulars on this one place.

It's kinda interesting but I wasn't that interested to ask how it works. LOL. I have my opinions about it but don't have a problem with it being legalized as long as people are responsible on it.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    No, you can use your own debit card there in OR and they charge in $5 increment instead of the actual amount and give you cash for change.

Because they are not using your debit card to purchase the MJ. They are using your debit card to "withdraw cash from an ATM", keeping enough of that cash to cover your purchase, then giving you the remainder of your ATM withdrawal as "change".

Sort of a wink-wink-nudge-nudge way around it, as the banks have no prohibition against having an ATM onsite.

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    Because they are not using your debit card to purchase the MJ. They are using your debit card to "withdraw cash from an ATM", keeping enough of that cash to cover your purchase, then giving you the remainder of your ATM withdrawal as "change".

Sort of a wink-wink-nudge-nudge way around it, as the banks have no prohibition against having an ATM onsite.

That makes more sense on the procedure.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

^^^Bingo^^^

Kind of like how using your debit card at the grocery and getting cash back doesn't count against your card as an ATM withdrawal, even though in effect, it is.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    ^^^Bingo^^^

Kind of like how using your debit card at the grocery and getting cash back doesn't count against your card as an ATM withdrawal, even though in effect, it is.
    Almost exactly the reverse from what I understand. At a dispensary that does this it works like this in effect. They ring you up and let's say your total amount is 25.99. You swipe your card and it does an ATM transaction for $30, they give you back $4.01. You still get hit with any ATM fees your bank charges you and possibly any additional fees for using an out of network "ATM".

Where at a grocery store, you make a purchase, they then add on what you want to get back then charge your debit card as a purchase for the total amount. No ATM transaction.

Top Bottom