• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jstrahl

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 22, 2009
    Franklin
    Don't get in a hurry getting anything from those fargin corksuckers. I bought my VP9 from them on April 22nd and have yet to get the fargin bastage into my local RK.

Have you received a shipping notice yet? I had kind of a similar situation where the tracking number showed it had been delivered to the store, but they never called. I waited a day or so then called the local store and they were rude telling me I had to wait until they called me and wouldn't go check if it had actually arrived. I waited a few more days and then called corporate who put me on hold while they contacted the store. Needless to say it was straightened out pretty quick and I got the gun that afternoon. Moral of the story, call corporate and they should get you straightened out pretty quick.

Also as a side note, I hate the way they do the background checks. You have to enter your info on a computer first, then they do something on their computer, then they print it, finally call it in and then have a manager come do something else. I've purchased 3 guns from them and each time the process was close to an hour before I got out of there. Any other LGS or even chain store and it takes me less than 15 minutes each time. They have a good selection online and what I ordered were hard to find items at the time or an extremely good deal, but if it was something common I'd rather buy it somewhere else.

Last edited:

White Squirrel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2016
    Evansville
    Have you received a shipping notice yet? I had kind of a similar situation where the tracking number showed it had been delivered to the store, but they never called. I waited a day or so then called the local store and they were rude telling me I had to wait until they called me and wouldn't go check if it had actually arrived. I waited a few more days and then called corporate who put me on hold while they contacted the store. Needless to say it was straightened out pretty quick and I got the gun that afternoon. Moral of the story, call corporate and they should get you straightened out pretty quick.

Also as a side note, I hate the way they do the background checks. You have to enter your info on a computer first, then they do something on their computer, then they print it, finally call it in and then have a manager come do something else. I've purchased 3 guns from them and each time the process was close to an hour before I got out of there. Any other LGS or even chain store and it takes me less than 15 minutes each time. They have a good selection online and what I ordered were hard to find items at the time or an extremely good deal, but if it was something common I'd rather buy it somewhere else.
    I had a similar experience. Basically, the store manager told me that it was probably back in the warehouse, but they were short handed and would let me know when they found it and checked it in.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Yes, they are VERY lockstepped in their process but I am used to it by now. My wife even knows that I'm going to there close to a decade to get a gun so she never voluntarily sits in the Jeep or my grandpop Silverado.

I got notification that it was dropped off today but has yet to be checked in. I wish my cousin still worked there so he could streamline it for me!

dalex

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2021
    Greenwood
    Purchased a number of guns via RK online. I've learned to be PATIENT while waiting for the gun to be delivered to your local store. Their online tracking is terribly misleading, and I've gotten various answers from the in-store folks. I've had guns arrive in store as quickly as a week or two and have waited up to a few months. Last time I was waiting for a while and FINALLY arrived in store and was P!$$d to discover that very gun was available in the gun case (no reason to have ordered online and wait). SO, might wanna drive to RK before placing the online order!

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Was in RK in shelbyville last night and they had the entire gun barn blocked off. No guns in the displays and not allowed to get in for anything else gun related.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Am glad we finally got a RK in Laporte. Remember in college 10yrs ago venturing into a RK down in Vincennes for the first time.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I don’t know if people are looking at Rural King’s online store, but they are amazing. 100+ pistols in stock. A lot of rifles too. I’ve bought quite a few guns from them over the pandemic. Really smooth transaction.
    I had a bad experience with them several years ago. They held my gun two weeks before shipping. I got ahold of customer service and was told they do that to all orders even in stock orders. This was pre covid stupid. I told them that I did not like that they said it was company policy. My question is has this been changed or do they still hold the them for two weeks on top of covid crap?

Just looked it up it was January 2018

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I had a bad experience with them several years ago. They held my gun two weeks before shipping. I got ahold of customer service and was told they do that to all orders even in stock orders. This was pre covid stupid. I told them that I did not like that they said it was company policy. My question is has this been changed or do they still hold the them for two weeks on top of covid crap?

I don't know if there's been a "change," but the last thing I ordered shipped the same day and I had it in five.

chadm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 30, 2016
    West side of Indy

I get my guns from them about 10 days, from order to local delivery.

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    After several RKG purchases it's obvious that customer experience is very much dependent on the particular RK location and personnel on staff at the time.

radar8756

Works for Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   1
    Sep 21, 2010
    Westville, IN
    I am a Instant Gratification type - so all of my gun purchases have been
    -- Research
    -- Locate " in stock "
    -- Drive to Location
    -- Examine -- Pay
    -- drive home

Sometimes this involves waiting for a item to be " in stock " Locally ... and sometimes it involves driving 3 hours to a place it is " in stock "

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I like Rural King and most things about them. I am glad they are here. There are some automotive, hardware and other unique items that are in stock and better priced than other places.

That said, I have learned the hard way to have very low expectations if their staff.

Once in a great while, you will find a star employee, but for the most part RK's staff are the ones not smart enough to work at Walmart.

RK is good, if you know exactly what you want and are prepared to run some obstacles to get it. I always chuckle, when I walk by the cluster-muck of a gun section they have in the Btown store.

I'm glad Rural King sells guns. Maybe I'll run into a good deal on one of their guns, in the secondary market, selling in the classifieds?

:twocents:

Last edited:

Gunsmiff12B

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 13, 2016
    South bend
    I usually buy all my ammo from them, sure the staff can be somewhat “less knowledgeable” than say a gun store, but when they have 9mm on the shelf for $16.99 opposed to $30/45 I’ll deal with it. I do like supporting small gun stores but I also don’t like over paying, and I feel like throughout the scamdemic rural king has been the only place (when in stock) they didn’t gouge the price out of guns or ammo

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana

I've only bought one gun from RK, and I'm sure their 4473 system could be improved, but the big issue I saw with it was the newbs and fudds pretending that it was the first time they'd ever seen a computer.

My purchase from RK was the last of 2020, so New Year's Eve, and I was the final customer. There were about 6 people in line in front of me, including a dude that was still trying to get his 4473 filled out when I left, there was only one guy working (who was kind of annoying, but efficient at the RK side of things) and I was out of there in under an hour. If not for the other people, it would have been 15-20 minutes, tops, with half of that waiting for a manger to bring my gun to the counter. That also included at least 30 people that walked up to the counter and distracted the clerk by asking about ammo (spoiler alert: there wasn't any).

The 2 bones I had to pick with them were: When I called and asked how late the store was open, I told them I was coming in to pick up a gun. They told me what time the store closed. I could just barely make it with an an hour to do my business once I got there, so I went... The gun counter closes 30 minutes early so they can put all of the guns away before closing(???), per the store manager(???). I was hot. RK is about an hour drive for me... They figured out how to get it to happen anyhow after I discussed it the situation with them.

Other bone: The manager who brought my gun up from the back (while still in the box, at least) dropped it, smashing it into the counter and the display rack behind her on the way down. It's an entry level AR and I told her it was likely going to see worse than that in use (true) and if it had problems its not like I was going to be exchanging it with none left in stock in the country. I'm also positive that it probably saw worse than that on the way to the store. Still, not what you want to see.

---

Overall, I plan to buy more from RK. Given all of the insanity of that entire situation, it went well enough. That was the Kendallville store. I may try the Angola store next time just to compare them. 10 days from order to pick-up seems about right to me.

Top Bottom