• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    This brings up a great point. Many are not prepared for the attention one has to pay with a RDS on routine maintenance/upkeep or care. (Which why many that preach RDS but blast someone that wants to run a 1911 sort of the same in a way and we’ve seen some folks (or brand they choice) up to the task and some that are not.)

Jake is right. My words there can be a lot of gremlins can come out in a match or hard use class where you run100-1,200 rounds in a 2 day class.
    Oh not you didn't... not the 1911 argument?!?!?!
    Might as well throw in 9mm vs 45acp
    or
    40sw isn't dead
    should all be carrying a 357mag anyway
    10mm for the win
    Handgun for Home Defense vs Shotgun vs Rifle

This thread will never end..

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I have a C-More RTS2 on a Carry Optics gun pushing 50k rounds no issue, and a SRO die in less than 500 rounds. I can give 1k examples of "mine has xxx no issues" and "this pos died within xxx rounds"
    I wouldn't carry an RMR with 80k rounds on as my EDC, or spend match fees, travel fees, ammo etc to go to a match with that. To each their own.
    I do know that just like most things, they break when they are being used, not when they are in the safe, in the holster on stuck in your underwear drawer.
    I don't carry that gun, it was my training gun with a duplicate for carry. My experience with slide mounted dot guns is pretty broad, I have seen what you are talking about, but if I thought I had to replace a dot every year I wouldn't bother with them. For match guns the SRO on my Q5 is not the original because the first one didn't last the first session. This one has been good for 2 seasons and about 30,000 rounds so far. It has been more reliable than my Walther.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    This weekend was the Atlanta Conservation Club 3rd annual IDPA CCP Clasic 5-6-2023 (Compact Carry Pistol). I have never shot this because I tend to stick to revolver. This year the match was opened up to include the CO, (Carry Optics) division. I looked at the results and there were 30 shooting CCP and 58 shooting CO.
    Even if I did decide to shoot this in the future I would go with the CCP as I have no interest in CO. However, it seems this is the wave of the future, before long there will be two divisions; CO and everything else. Jim.

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    In less than 5 years optics growth in USPSA competition has almost doubled. It has seen an increase in Steel Challenge as well in the same time period.

71% of USPSA year to date 2023 is optics divisions
    (2022 ended at 40%)

Screen Shot 2023-05-08 at 4.07.12 PM.png

74% in Steel Challenge is Optics

Screen Shot 2023-05-08 at 4.07.49 PM.png

This is 2018 - 36% optics

Screen Shot 2023-05-08 at 4.12.08 PM.png

55% in Steel Challenge in 2018
    Screen Shot 2023-05-08 at 4.15.21 PM.png

2-Alpha

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2018
    Indianapolis area
    At the last match I went to I won Production, but there were only 3 of us. Everyone ahead of me overall was CO, except for one Open gun. I was the slowest shooter on every stage—because I was struggling to see the sights in the indoor lighting.

Old eyes is making me consider switching to CO too, but all of the new kids are starting there, and I don’t think it’ll be long before the iron sights are “retro” like revolver division.

E7Wrangler

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2016
    Central
    Dim lighting and aging eyes are why I just bought my first optic ready handgun. Just picked it up today! I have enjoyed reading the discussion and look forward to trying my gun once I finish my RDS research, buy and install. I am holding out to get some experience before I make any pronouncements on which I like best irons vs RDS.

Top Bottom