• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I have read in articles discussing remote work, that during the lockdowns, employees were fearful of so many things including losing their jobs and therefore were more diligent in working from home than some employment advisers expect them to be long term.
    Oh, is that what you read? Well, can't argue with that expertise.

:):

Silly me. Have been working remote since 2013, and never knew all of this. Maybe I'm doing it wrong.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I have read in articles discussing remote work, that during the lockdowns, employees were fearful of so many things including losing their jobs and therefore were more diligent in working from home than some employment advisers expect them to be long term.
    Let me reiterate, if managers are doing their job, they know what level of productivity their workers should be outputting. Regardless of where they are working, if they hit those numbers, they're doing fine. If they're not hitting those numbers, there's an issue. It's the same in the office as working from home. Who cares if I can mow my lawn, do my dishes or run the vacuum cleaner while I'm ostensibly working, as long as I'm hitting my productivity numbers?

I've read numerous articles talking about poor remote workers and every single one boiled down to the fact that the managers had no idea what their people should be doing, so had no way of holding them accountable. That's not a remote worker problem, that's a management problem.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    We just had an "All Hands" meeting last week (via Teams), and our CIO flat out said that he has never refused a request for remote work (telework). He basically stated that if you can do your work without being in the office, then you can do your work without being in the office. There are no plans currently to call any of us back into the office.

dlandersson

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 20, 2019
    Hammond
    "Being responsible sometimes means pissing people off."

Good leadership involves responsibility to the welfare of the group, which means that some people will get angry at your actions and decisions. It's inevitable if you're honourable. Trying to get everyone to like you is a sign of mediocrity: You'll avoid the tough decisions, you'll avoid confronting the people who need to be confronted, and you'll avoid offering differential rewards based on differential performance because some people might get upset. Ironically, by procrastinating on the difficult choices, by trying not to get anyone mad, and by treating everyone equally "nicely" regardless of their contributions, you'll simply ensure that the only people you'll wind up angering are the most creative and productive people in the organization. - Colin Powell
    ""Being responsible sometimes means pissing people off."" - true, and here's another. I have noticed that a lot of younger people make no distinction between "personal" and "professional". Any observations or suggestions are seen as a personal attack.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy

Exactly the garbage that disgusts me. I couldn't find the video for this, but these people can stick it up their rears. You don't have an excuse anymore to say that remote workers don't do the work. COVID lockdowns exposed that lie. Now it's pretty obvious that if remote workers aren't doing their jobs, you have **** poor managers who don't know how to do their jobs.

Top Bottom