• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    A wonderful collection Rob, and not to mention one of those rifles I recognize fondly. You were awesome to do business with years ago my friend I hope you are doing well.
    Doing great, and it remains one of my favorites. It really is one that talks!

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I really like how you have managed to stick to a particular era with your collection. My milsurps are more spread around from about 1900 to the end of WWII. You have a lot of great variety from different countries, and I enjoy the comparison and contrast between the contemporary platforms.

How is that Ross to shoot? I've always wanted to try one...the bolt thing doesn't scare me, just have to be sure to put it together right.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I really like how you have managed to stick to a particular era with your collection. My milsurps are more spread around from about 1900 to the end of WWII. You have a lot of great variety from different countries, and I enjoy the comparison and contrast between the contemporary platforms.

How is that Ross to shoot? I've always wanted to try one...the bolt thing doesn't scare me, just have to be sure to put it together right.

I'm now an old man, with old eyes, and no longer fond of the recoil of these full power rifles, so I'm not really the person to give a shooting evaluation. It goes bang, kicks like a mule, and the bullet lands somewhere in the vicinity of where intended.

FWIW, the Model 1905 (aka Mk.II) was retained by Canadian snipers after the introduction of the Model 1910 (aka Mk.III) because it was known to be very accurate. It was basically a target rifle that had entered military service.

I should also clarify, since there is confusion due to neither model being commonly encountered, the Model 1905/Mk.II that I have does not have the problem with the bolt that can be assembled incorrectly. That was solely an issue with the later Model 1910/Mk.III that was a completely different action, although still a straight-pull. If you want a shooter, get the earlier rifle. They are cheaper, were also used in the war though in limited numbers, are better shooters, and often (like mine) have US markings since the US purchased a bunch of them to use in training.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    One from my collection a restored SMLE No.1 MK IV Dated 1943
    Yes I know WW II but couldn’t resist.
    (The No. 1 Mk. 3 is a work in progress)
    It’s a great shooter and very accurate with my tuned reloaded ammunition.
    View attachment 266019
    Very nice, but actually that's a No. 4 Mk I. I used to get them mixed up all the time myself. :):

Last edited:

mausermadness

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2023
    Fort Wayne
    A lovely collection. French First World War rifles seem to be very uncommon in my neck of the woods, that or the people that have them don't get them out and want to hold onto them.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Beautiful collection! At one point in time I had a similar array, but sold off many as my tastes changed. I love the Gewehr 98, and have a couple myself.

The Gew 98 is the one that Warrior1354 traded to me for one that he needed for his collection. It's one of my favorites because of the markings. The buttplate has markings indicating it went through the German Depot system for repairs more than once, and the marking disk shows it was issued to the 37th Reserve Regiment. This regiment was a part of the attack at Verdun in 1916 and suffered heavy casualties at Fort Vaux, a place I got to visit a few years ago.

113.jpg
    110.jpg
    22.jpg
    21.jpg

104.jpg

105.jpg
    107.jpg
    106.jpg
    108.jpg
    111.jpg

Last edited:

Warrior1354

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 25, 2017
    Carthage
    Yeah that was an awesome rifle Rob. I personally loved the amount of Depot centers that particular piece passed through. Really showed the type of War Horse it really was. I know some collectors out there really want a mint example for their collections. But, there's just something about pieces like this that just speak to you so much more.

Oh, and in case you're wondering I still collect the old Gewehr 98 lol. But nowadays my main focus are rifles unit marked to the kaiserliche and the Jager units.

Reserve Jager Regiment 14.jpg

mausermadness

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2023
    Fort Wayne
    Yeah that was an awesome rifle Rob. I personally loved the amount of Depot centers that particular piece passed through. Really showed the type of War Horse it really was. I know some collectors out there really want a mint example for their collections. But, there's just something about pieces like this that just speak to you so much more.

Oh, and in case you're wondering I still collect the old Gewehr 98 lol. But nowadays my main focus are rifles unit marked to the kaiserliche and the Jager units.

View attachment 267118
    That's a pretty niche collection. I lucked out on a Jager marked Gew98 that ended up 1920 marked and then got the K98 style rear site. One of my absolute favorites.

Top Bottom