• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vanderbilt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2022
    Nineveh
    ....these are my contributions to retaining a bit of history. The 1903 Springfield is my pride and joy, it is both a low number with a 1918 barrel. Yes, despite all the CMP and internet chatter, I still shoot it. Usually reduced loads with lead bullets. Occasionally it may see some surplus M2 ball.

Attachments

• 20220902_101013_kindlephoto-9140069.jpg
      20220902_101013_kindlephoto-9140069.jpg
      316.4 KB · Views: 8

ben142266

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2023
    Aurora
    ....these are my contributions to retaining a bit of history. The 1903 Springfield is my pride and joy, it is both a low number with a 1918 barrel. Yes, despite all the CMP and internet chatter, I still shoot it. Usually reduced loads with lead bullets. Occasionally it may see some surplus M2 ball.
    How's the Krag treating you? I've been keeping my eye out for one lately, such a neat mechanic for a firearm.

Vanderbilt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2022
    Nineveh
    How's the Krag treating you? I've been keeping my eye out for one lately, such a neat mechanic for a firearm.
    ....Krag is a fun rifle...being a military gun and the distances they sight these guns for, you have to play with the sight to find a point of aim....I set mine at 400 yds, that gets me on steel for most of our shoots, where our targets are typically between 20-50 yds.....loading one of these, well, on a bench, piece of cake....we shoot skirmishes or a woods walk with cartridge guns if you prefer....with a proper cartridge belt, it's not bad.....one thing I learned quickly about these guns, they are sensitive to the OAL of the cartridges, anything over .310 (edit, my goof, should be 3.10) and they will have issues...then one needs to decide what kind of Krag you want?

If you want a carbine, do a lot of research. There are a lot of sportsterized guns out there being claimed as historical! Another version to be wary of are cadet or constabulary guns. These were shortened rifles that could still accept a bayonet. Then there are the infantry rifles, they can get heavy after dragging them around for a day. If you can find or have an old copy of Flaydermans....that's a good starting point to understand the different military versions of the Krag and what to look for. Sorry for being so long winded...apologies to the OP for hijacking the thread a bit....

Attachments

• 20220523_160120.jpg
      20220523_160120.jpg
      985.2 KB · Views: 5
    • 20210816_200128.jpg
      20210816_200128.jpg
      283.6 KB · Views: 5
    Last edited:

ben142266

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2023
    Aurora
    ....Krag is a fun rifle...being a military gun and the distances they sight these guns for, you have to play with the sight to find a point of aim....I set mine at 400 yds, that gets me on steel for most of our shoots, where our targets are typically between 20-50 yds.....loading one of these, well, on a bench, piece of cake....we shoot skirmishes or a woods walk with cartridge guns if you prefer....with a proper cartridge belt, it's not bad.....one thing I learned quickly about these guns, they are sensitive to the OAL of the cartridges, anything over .310 and they will have issues...then one needs to decide what kind of Krag you want?

If you want a carbine, do a lot of research. There are a lot of sportsterized guns out there being claimed as historical! Another version to be wary of are cadet or constabulary guns. These were shortened rifles that could still accept a bayonet. Then there are the infantry rifles, they can get heavy after dragging them around for a day. If you can find or have an old copy of Flaydermans....that's a good starting point to understand the different military versions of the Krag and what to look for. Sorry for being so long winded...apologies to the OP for hijacking the thread a bit....
    Thanks for the info, especially about the OAL, one thing holding me back from jumping on one is having to most likely reload for it. I know every now and then factory ammo comes up but not frequently.

Top Bottom