• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    I saw the .22 rifle thread. Been using this caliber a lot lately, only have a S&W M&P 15-22, used to have a 10/22.

I'd like to get a "chipmunk plinker", something that'll cycle .22 shorts, open sights, maybe a flat spot for an optic? I'm guessing it'd have to be bolt action with the tube mag, or is there an auto that would cycle the shorts?

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    Remington made their model 24 rifle in .22 LR and .22 short. Both are somewhat collectible, but you might be able to find a beater. Years ago I bought beater in .22 LR as a suppressor host since it will run semi-auto on subsonics and is tube fed from the butt (convenient for reloading with the suppressor still attached).

JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    I've got an old Remington 552 that is supposed to cycle short, long, and long rifle. My Henry lever is supposed to do the same. While I have 22 shorts, I haven't tested how well either of those will cycle. Both are tube fed (the 552 is semi auto). Both have the 11mm rimfire dovetails built in (or whatever the standard rimfire dovetails are). The Henry is much more accurate in my experience. But I bought the 552 old and used with no clue what previous owners had done run through it. YMMV. If I were to buy again and were right-handed, I'd get a Henry 22 - it hits as well as I can point it. They're sweet. The Remington 572 I have has given me a lot of grief, would skip that.

augdog

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013
    Sheridan
    I have Browning SA that’s the short model. It is A real tack driver with the CCI target short. Has turn into my favorite squirrel gun.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    I have Browning SA that’s the short model. It is A real tack driver with the CCI target short. Has turn into my favorite squirrel gun.

A second vote for the Browning. Hard to believe the little shorts will cycle an action reliably, but they do. A note on the Browning is that it's a Shorts Only version. The regular SA22 is LR only I think.

Of course, any bolt action, and a lot of other 22's will cycle shorts, but many times accuracy suffers unless it's made for shorts. The twist rate, and probably chamber leade, are different for dedicated shorts barrels. Sometimes you get lucky, though, and a regular 22 will shoot OK.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    Thanks everyone, I have some research to do on rimfire and Airguns. I would have never known about these rifles and that the autos would cycle shorts. I'll check prices on GunBroker. Rimfire has just become more of a favorite the last year being at home a bit more and taking care of critters.

I have a Gamo Cadet Delta I'd bought for my son maybe 20 years ago, I see they're still making models. I may end up with a bit of everything . Been lurking here more the last year, enjoy the banter, really kind of a good news source

Last edited:

joncon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 30, 2013
    Bartholomew County
    I have a Remington 552 semi-auto, and a Remington 121 pump. I've mixed shorts, longs, and long rifle in them with no problems. I think most all lever actions will feed all three 22's. My 39a and Henry will.

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    I have my Ruger 10-22 with a discontinued Volquartsen (sp?) Conversion.. The only original thing about it is the reciever, the barrel is chambered for 22short. They modified the magazines to accept and feed shorts. It's been an amazing pest control rifle.

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    I have a Remington 552 semi-auto, and a Remington 121 pump. I've mixed shorts, longs, and long rifle in them with no problems. I think most all lever actions will feed all three 22's. My 39a and Henry will.
    Pricy but so are the others in used condition on Gunbroker. Watched a good Gunblast video on th 552. Lots of .22s to look at, can see why people own several. Really would like any decently accurate .22 that'll cycle shorts and 40 grain subsonic.

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    I have my Ruger 10-22 with a discontinued Volquartsen (sp?) Conversion.. The only original thing about it is the reciever, the barrel is chambered for 22short. They modified the magazines to accept and feed shorts. It's been an amazing pest control rifle.
    Sounds nice. I started to search for shorts magazine for my S&W 15-22, but didn't find anything. I don't know enough about how that works, but figure it's more the magazine, not the ramp for autos?

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I've got an old Remington 552 that is supposed to cycle short, long, and long rifle. My Henry lever is supposed to do the same. While I have 22 shorts, I haven't tested how well either of those will cycle. Both are tube fed (the 552 is semi auto). Both have the 11mm rimfire dovetails built in (or whatever the standard rimfire dovetails are). The Henry is much more accurate in my experience. But I bought the 552 old and used with no clue what previous owners had done run through it. YMMV. If I were to buy again and were right-handed, I'd get a Henry 22 - it hits as well as I can point it. They're sweet. The Remington 572 I have has given me a lot of grief, would skip that.
    I have a Remington 552 SpeedMaster I bought the year my twins were born; 1980. Still looks brand new, and I've killed a TON of squirrels with it. . Only thing I`ve ever fired through it are .22LR but as you`ve said, supposedly they`ll cycle and fire ANY .22. I might be interested enough to buy some .22 shorts just to see how it does with them.

JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    I have a Remington 552 SpeedMaster I bought the year my twins were born; 1980. Still looks brand new, and I've killed a TON of squirrels with it. . Only thing I`ve ever fired through it are .22LR but as you`ve said, supposedly they`ll cycle and fire ANY .22. I might be interested enough to buy some .22 shorts just to see how it does with them.
    Yeah, my Rem 552 cycles fine. I certainly haven't done any exhaustive testing with it, and haven't hunted with it, so hopefully the OP will take your experience as more telling on the 552. As one of those left-eyed dominate freaks, the LH operated action and RH ejection with case deflection was why I bought one. Using the federal semi-auto specific ammunition gets a little warm on the right arm when shooting it lefty.

My post above maybe wasn't clear that I have a 572 as well as the 552. I picked up a newish-run 572 (pump) with the intention to install the same case deflector as the 552 onto it, but have had issues with it not fully going into battery - wish I had just gotten the Henry pump. To the seller's credit, he was honest about the not going into battery issue.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Run sub sonic Long Rifle ammo and your 1022 becomes a straight pull mag fed bolt action.

No mods needed

Reg .22 shorts still break the sonic barrier. And they dont work well in a reg 1022 mag

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I use a stevens model 15 single shot 22. I have shot tons of shorts with it as originally I used it to dispatch trapped coons fox AND SOME SKUNKS .
    It does shoot 22 LR and. 22 long also. I will admit it can get the barrel dirty and may need a bit of love to feed LR AFTER many shorts but it is acceptable accuracy with shorts.( I don’t think a true 22 short only gun will shoot much better)

I think this gun has a born on date of like 1917. Cost when I got it was around 20 dollars Around 1979. I have just given it a little new life during covid with a stock refinish some cold blue a complete disassemble and clean and a couple of bling item like a plastic interarms but plate. It now serves as a trainer rifle for newbies and kids. Cost to refurbish was far more than the rifle is worth to anyone else but as long as I am alive no one else is going to be shooting it.

I have about 2.3 boxes of CCI QUITE and am currently using them.
    shorts are more expensive than LR until the right gun comes along for shorts just get a nice old single shot and low slow velocity 22 LR AMMO.

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    Remmington 582 will do short, long and lr. Was my first gun. Still have it. Bolt action and I think the tube holds about 14 lr .

BMWRich

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    You can’t go wrong with either a Henry “lever or pump” action .22.
    Both shoot “short, long, long rifle”.

Both Henry’s will even shoot the “ Aguila Colibri” 20gr. .22lr (quieter than a pellet rifle) with no problems.
    Will penetrate an exit a pop can at 15 yards so will definitely takeout garden pests.

Attachments

• 345A0C62-2F7B-41B7-B53A-8C7ACF000DD9.jpeg
      345A0C62-2F7B-41B7-B53A-8C7ACF000DD9.jpeg
      530.9 KB · Views: 7

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    You can’t go wrong with either a Henry “lever or pump” action .22.
    Both shoot “short, long, long rifle”.

Both Henry’s will even shoot the “ Aguila Colibri” 20gr. .22lr (quieter than a pellet rifle) with no problems.
    Will penetrate an exit a pop can at 15 yards so will definitely takeout garden pests.
    Great, I was looking at a lever Henry on Gunbroker for $349. Not opposed to a pump either. I have neither in any caliber of my rifles, only auto and bolt. Probably look at the Remington models too.

Good to know on the Colibris, that's what I tried to cycle through my auto, manually, and had to resort to a drop in single. That's what got me thinking about rifles that'll handle shorts, along with a friend with a nuisance permit that uses shorts quite exclusively.

BMW owner or just screen name? I've driven an 08 335i 6sp rwd for a decade now, love it.

Top Bottom