• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • diveski11

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Rifle 223 (Carbine) – February 20, 2021 Lost Creek Conservation Club (Seelyville, IN)

https://www.reveresriders.org/event/2021-feb-20-seelyville-in/

Rifle 223 (Carbine) Overview

Prerequisites: Suggested—Rifle 125 or similar class.
    If you have not attended Rifle 125, then you should be able to reliably hit a 10″ paper plate from the standing position out to 25 yards, kneeling at 50 yards, and prone at 100 yards. You should be able to consistently hit a 3×5 index card at 15 yards while standing. You should be familiar with basic operation of your carbine. If you cannot meet the accuracy suggestion then you may be frustrated at carbine class and be better served learning the fundamentals of marksmanship at a Rifle 125 clinic.
    Estimated Ammunition Required: 250 rounds/day
    Rifle Requirements: This course is conducted as an NRA America’s Rifle Challenge clinic and, as such, the AR-15 is an ideal rifle to bring. While this course is named for the common round fired by the AR-15 (“.223 Remington”) any safe semi-automatic carbine can be used (Mini-14, AK-47, Tavor, etc.).

Required Equipment:
    Please review our suggestions on appropriate Rifle 223 equipment and plan to bring the following:

• at least four (4) magazines for your carbine (more is better)
    • sling for your rifle (a 2-point adjustable sling is recommended although a 1-point sling will work fine if that is your preference; the US GI sling is probably not ideal for this event)
    • a way to take notes
    • hearing protection
    • eye protection
    • plenty of your preferred method of hydration (both plain water and something to replace electrolytes you will lose via sweating is ideal)
    Optional Equipment: The following equipment is not required but may come in handy at the event:

• hat with a brim (to deflect flying hot brass)
    • knee/elbow pads (we may shoot from kneeling and other positions)
    • folding chair
    • lunch
    • snacks
    • sunscreen and/or bug spray

Overview:
    Attendees will experience shooting in multiple firing positions at varying distances and will learn modern defensive shooting skills on the AR platform. All firing in this course will be within 200 yards with a focus on the close quarters environment from contact to 50 yards. You will get a workout with all the skills needed to run the carbine from 7-100 yards. At some venues we may work out to the battlesight zero of your carbine (200-300 yards) but the focus is on short range marksmanship. Topics will include the following:

• Rules for safe gun handling & range rules
    • Carbine parts and operation & ammunition
    • Shooting Fundamentals
      • Firing Stance: Standing
      • Five steps to firing each shot
      • Zero rifles as required
    • Situational Awareness and Scanning
    • Rapid Magazine Changes (Tactical Reloads)
    • Short Range Marksmanship Techniques
      • Tailoring the five steps to firing each shot to the close quarters environment
      • Controlled Pairs
      • Recoil Management
    • Clearing Malfunctions/Stoppages
      • Emergency/Speed Reloads
      • Failure to Fire
      • Failure to Eject
      • Double Feed
    • Special Subjects (most one-day clinics will cover only a few of these — two day clinics will cover most or all)
      • Zeroing Carbines & Rifles
      • Carbine Trajectory and Zero Issues
      • Barricades
      • Movement
      • Kneeling Position
      • Prone Position
      • Use of the sling to support shooting stability
      • Natural Point of Aim
      • Firing from retention
      • Field Stripping & Cleaning the AR-15
    • Classic WW2 Carbine Qualifier
    • Revere’s Riders Carbine Skills Test

This class is moderately physically demanding. We will be on our feet much of the day, moving between various positions on the range. We will be shooting from different positions throughout the day.

Please contact the event director if you intend to bring a different type of firearm other than an AR-15; we can probably accommodate learning on your preferred platform but want to ensure you will not be frustrated.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Is there a minimum number of tickets you have to sell to put on this event?
    I won't speak for RR or organizers, but I don't think there is much chance of this class not filling up.

This is a high value training opportunity right here locally. Most carbine classes covering this type of material cost at least twice as much.

Last edited:

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Is there a minimum number of tickets you have to sell to put on this event?
    Nope, no minimum. If only 1 person signs up it will go. Several people have expressed interest and historically these do tend to be well attended or sell out.
    Hope to see you there.
    Nigel

Laughing Snake

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    SW Indy
    Thanks for the response. It looked like I was the first to buy a ticket, which never happens, so I started to wonder. The last one of these I went to pretty well sold out a month or two before the event, granted the circumstances were WAY different then.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    I cannot find razor wire anywhere. Any ideas on what we can use as a substitute?
    Electrified cattle fencing + the HIGH voltage drivers.
    Everyone's going electric these days, didn't you know?

On a slightly more serious note, this is a terrific opportunity to play your band instruments & wear those costumes.
    Figure out what works, what doesn't and how it feels to use that gear. See what other people are rocking and how it works for them - no judgment, only discussions.
    Go make JOYFUL noise and decide what improvements & adjustments are needed for the winter weather!

You may also receive a little verbal distraction encouragement in your drills if needed. Some of us learn more slowly than others :bat:

Break in those safeties & remember to push-pull your mag changes!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'm gonna have to take 125 again before I'm ready for these big leagues. Plus, I'll need to borrow a rifle.

Any plans for a basic class later this year?

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    I'm gonna have to take 125 again before I'm ready for these big leagues. Plus, I'll need to borrow a rifle.

Any plans for a basic class later this year
    One 125 in the works so far for 2021.
    Carbine 223 is a different class/animal entirely though. Think CQB type drills and weapon manipulations. Dare I say it, ‘tactical’ sling use as opposed to loop or hasty.
    As others have said it’s a great opportunity to shake out your gear.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Greg, if you have 223/5.56 ammo, I have a rifle you can borrow. It was used during one of the first RR Carbine classes with no failures. The operator on the other hand ... let's just say he learned a lot about what he didn't know.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    One 125 in the works so far for 2021.
    Carbine 223 is a different class/animal entirely though. Think CQB type drills and weapon manipulations. Dare I say it, ‘tactical’ sling use as opposed to loop or hasty.
    As others have said it’s a great opportunity to shake out your gear.
    I took a class at the Bedford contingent where we used tactical slings. No loop or hasty. There even was some run and gun set ups with a moving target and shooting behind cover. Fun but the weather was warmer,lol.

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    I took a class at the Bedford contingent where we used tactical slings. No loop or hasty. There even was some run and gun set ups with a moving target and shooting behind cover. Fun but the weather was warmer,lol.
    Sounds like you are ready for this one then and TJ has offered you a loaner AR15 too. I can’t do anything about the weather though but it’s good to train in all situations.
    Will that sling work with 2 extra layers of clothing, battle belt fit over thicker pants, can you still reach certain kit/equipment, can you move around and manipulate your weapon platform, how about getting up and down into prone?....all of these and more tend to come to light plus it will be fun!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Sounds like you are ready for this one then and TJ has offered you a loaner AR15 too. I can’t do anything about the weather though but it’s good to train in all situations.
    Will that sling work with 2 extra layers of clothing, battle belt fit over thicker pants, can you still reach certain kit/equipment, can you move around and manipulate your weapon platform, how about getting up and down into prone?....all of these and more tend to come to light plus it will be fun!
    I envision myself looking like the Pillsbury Dough Boy in Coyote Brown!;)

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I've been trying to get one of the Rifle 223 classes to fit into my schedule for years. I'm happy to say that I am finally signed up for this one.

Top Bottom