• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    My son and I were out looking for a 3-4" 357 magnum revolver. Ruger, Smith, Kimber etc. None to be found anywhere in 6 gun shops in four counties around us. Seen all kinds of plastic guns high capacity and single stack but revolvers are almost all gone some places had a few snub nose 38 specials and a few 22lr. That was it. Are revolvers put on the back burner by firearms companies or has the demand for revolvers gone up?

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    The selection of revolvers at a lot of gun shops is usually much smaller than the semi auto pistols. Like Magyars said, they aren't that popular any more, particularly with younger shooters. I'm sure they became very popular when the supply of pistols dried up.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    When I first got into guns a shop would have 5 cases of revolvers and 1 case of semi automatics, yup I’m that old! In the mid 80s when the gubment replaced our beloved 1911 with a Wonder Nine and Glock came on the scene things started to reverse. Then the flood gates opened for guns with 10, 14,15,17 and 21 round capacities. But with the changing political climate, more gun restrictions and millions of new shooters the revolver has been making a resurgence. Several manufacturers are reintroducing old favorites or entirely new models in a variety of calibers. I really like the new Kimber revolvers because of their good triggers and decent sights. I’ve always been a revolver fan and enjoy shooting them. I mostly EDC a semi auto but have been know to carry a Detective Special in a pocket or 2.5” K Frame IWB. As a matter of fact I’ve sorta been looking for an “affordable” J Frame to pick up but haven’t really run across anything. Keep looking, you’ll find something.

Last edited:

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    As of Thursday Top Guns in Terre Haute had 3" Colt King Cobras if that would do. Believe they might have a 686 but don't quote me as that was 2 days ago

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    My son and I were out looking for a 3-4" 357 magnum revolver. Ruger, Smith, Kimber etc. None to be found anywhere in 6 gun shops in four counties around us. Seen all kinds of plastic guns high capacity and single stack but revolvers are almost all gone some places had a few snub nose 38 specials and a few 22lr. That was it. Are revolvers put on the back burner by firearms companies or has the demand for revolvers gone up?
    There is not a lot of 3-4" revolvers produced versus semi auto pistols. Most gunships have a larger selection of new vs used.

Best bet would be to post a WTB add in the classies. Be descriptive in what you want, J frame vs full size, fixed sight vs adjustable, round butt or square stuff like that.

And also put the price range you're willing to pay.

Last edited:

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Point Blank up in Greenwood had a new blued 4 inch 586 today, priced in the 800's.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Last time i went into a lgs all you could buy aside from a few semi's was revolvers. Has it gotten worse?

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    My boy he is into revolvers. He bought a beautiful Ruger Vaquero 45colt stainless steel Talo edition with star wood grips. He fell in love with it.
    Now he wants a 3" but will go with 4" 357 revolver. Ruger GP100, Smith 686, Kimber k6s target, etc.
    He just got out of the Army in December and he's been buying a lot of firearms.
    He also loves Henry lever action rifles has 2 big boys in 45colt and 44mag also.

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    My boy he is into revolvers. He bought a beautiful Ruger Vaquero 45colt stainless steel Talo edition with star wood grips. He fell in love with it.
    Now he wants a 3" but will go with 4" 357 revolver. Ruger GP100, Smith 686, Kimber k6s target, etc.
    He just got out of the Army in December and he's been buying a lot of firearms.
    He also loves Henry lever action rifles has 2 big boys in 45colt and 44mag also.
    I remember saying that I would probably never own a semi-automatic because I had so many revolvers and trusted their reliability so much .............. Was mainly a Ruger fan ..............Fast forward to today , have a few wheel guns left but now daily rely on a Glock or Sig .
    Nothing quite like a single action revolver . They are like a piece of art .
    Hope he finds what he is looking for ...................and a " Thank You for Your Service " to him !

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    They're only manufactured as a niche product anymore. Between the bidenbux and the new buyers who want revolvers because they're less scary-looking than black plastic autos, it doesn't take much to obliterate the supply. They also cost more to make and the margins are probably lower.

Gonna take years to build back inventory and get prices back down from the people having literally thousands of dollars in spending money rained on them by Daddy Gov.

VulpesForge

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 14, 2020
    Nowhere
    Have you tried Gene's gun in Versailles? He's off of 421 on 600 and hard of hearing, but he sometimes has some oddities outside of the usual glock 17/23/26/30/43/48, springfield hellcats, lcp, etc. I haven't been that way in a month, but he's worth a shot and typically reasonably priced as far as physical stores go. He had an old carbine trap door 45-70 a while back if that helps understand the curio section at all. There's also madison outdoors. They do a ton of business and have a decent selection almost all the time. It's rare if they wouldn't have a 3" kimber 357 on the shelf.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    They're only manufactured as a niche product anymore. Between the bidenbux and the new buyers who want revolvers because they're less scary-looking than black plastic autos, it doesn't take much to obliterate the supply. They also cost more to make and the margins are probably lower.

Gonna take years to build back inventory and get prices back down from the people having literally thousands of dollars in spending money rained on them by Daddy Gov.
    I told him he may have to buy used and keep his eyes open and tell his buddies what he's looking for. Someone might have one they want to sell.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Have you tried Gene's gun in Versailles? He's off of 421 on 600 and hard of hearing, but he sometimes has some oddities outside of the usual glock 17/23/26/30/43/48, springfield hellcats, lcp, etc. I haven't been that way in a month, but he's worth a shot and typically reasonably priced as far as physical stores go. He had an old carbine trap door 45-70 a while back if that helps understand the curio section at all. There's also madison outdoors. They do a ton of business and have a decent selection almost all the time. It's rare if they wouldn't have a 3" kimber 357 on the shelf.
    No haven't tried there will do that next chance we get to go searching.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Was in McGalliard Guns in Muncie today and they had a used newer 3" Smith 686 and an older Model 19-4 nickel 4". But it is rare to see 357s revolvers in most of the places I visit. I was actually suprised to see those.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Was in McGalliard Guns in Muncie today and they had a used newer 3" Smith 686 and an older Model 19-4 nickel 4". But it is rare to see 357s revolvers in most of the places I visit. I was actually suprised to see those.

He wants a 3" so might have to call and take a road trip to get him one.

Top Bottom