• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    I have had this little pistol a while and decided to do an official review and breakdown of the gun. I will also show a few Hornady CD rounds after shooting them.

The story:
    I started out with a Ruger P89DC and being how small my frame is I wanted a smaller gun to carry more easily. I ran across this gun and traded my Ruger for it and haven't had any regrets. This gun cost me roughly $400 with 2 holster, 3 mags and a Fobus double mag holster.

Specs:
    -9mm
    -DA/SA
    -3.5" BL
    -6.875" OAL
    -12 rounds
    -26.5 oz. (empty)

Critical Defense Rounds:

I decided to take a quick look at the expansion of the CD rounds. I shot into a stack of 8 magazines I had taped together. (Not technical but still cool. :D)

3 shots
    7 yds
    115 gr Hornady CD.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

As you can see in the above image the holes are fairly large showing good expansion.

This is the hollow point that opened the most out of the 3 I fired. It is compared to a non fired round of the same make. It lodged in the 4th magazine.

Here are all 3. None passed completely through and showed decent to good expansion. The one that went the deepest was found in the 6th magazine (fragments went into the 8th magazine but not through).

Shooting:

Forgive my 2 flyers. 115 gr WWB, 10 yds., 12 rounds. One flyer was with the DA pull the second well...:n00b:. I am impressed by the accuracy I know that this little gun out shoots me by far. I have no doubts in using it for self defense.

Break Down:

First step! Unload the gun and place the magazine and any loose rounds away from the cleaning area!

Tactical Root Beer.

Make sure it is unloaded. Again.

I have found that it is easier to hold the gun as shown to pull the slide back. It allows you to have a free hand to help with the initial moving of the slide.

I found that it is easier if you pull the slide back to cock the hammer so you aren't fighting physics as much trying to hold the slide in place to push out the pin. You need to line up the slot on the slide with the pin hole.

Slide the slide off the frame.

Remove the barrel and pull it out of the slide.

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Broken down.

Slide the slide back on the frame.

Push the lever(?) down.

After it is down slide back until it is stopped again.

On the other side of the frame there are 2 more you have to do the same thing. Press one down, slide it back and press the smallest one down (below image) and slide back all the way.

Again, slide the slide all the way back to cock the hammer and then line up the slot in the slide with the pin hole. (Hold the gun in the same way as you broke it down.)

Insert pin and make sure every thing is functional.

Summary: This is a great carry weapon. Weather you are looking for your first gun or just another EDC gun this is it. I shot this gun 360 degrees trying to get it to jam and it won't I have never had an FTF or FTE with HP or FMJ. These can be had for a good price. They are built solid and are very reliable and accurate. Overall I would never hesitate buying one again for Personal Defense or just taking it to the range.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Very similar to the 5906 I qualified with in Texas. That whole line of pistols are solid, dependable shooters. I shot a large amount of ammo through mine without a hick up. I am sure yours will serve you a long time. Good pictorial on take down. Remembering to push down those two little tabs makes everything go a lot easier.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    If you look in the picture with my "tactical" drink you will see part of my dads 5904. I love that series and got my uncle hooked on it too (5906). :)

Top Bottom