• Status
    Not open for further replies.

GTM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    Bloomington +/- 20 miles
    While lurking on M4Carbine.net I saw a thread about a company called Personal Security Systems (Personal Security Systems Kydex Holsters). Since I was in the market for an OWB kydex holster for everyday carry, training, and competition I decided to give them a try.

Not wanting to repeat past holster mistakes, I contacted Steve at PSS via email with various questions. Over the course of a couple of days and several emails Steve patiently answered my questions. A couple of days later I placed an order for a straight-drop holster for my Glock 26, contoured for a 32-inch waist. Total cost was $65.

Since my G26 has a short grip, the straight-drop works well for me. I found that a canted holster caused the back of the slide to poke out slightly from my shirt, while the straight-drop allows the slide to be more in line with the way my shirt hangs naturally.

The holster arrived 10 days later, which included Christmas Day. I unwrapped it, tried it on, and noticed a minor issue with one of the belt attachments. I emailed Steve and explained the situation. 30 minutes later I had a response with a solution to the problem. Due to a combination of a straight-drop holster and the “skinny guy” contour, my Crossbreed belt was unable to make the bend between the top of the slide and the belt loop. Steve and I both thought that a slightly taller belt loop would solve the problem. A few days later a new belt attachment arrived along with a prototype wing-type attachment Steve was testing. The new belt loop worked better but my belt still had a tendency to get caught between the top of the slide and the belt loop. I contacted Steve again and he offered to make me a new holster, this time using their pattern for light-equipped handguns. The new, wider holster arrived about a week later and functions exactly as I want.

Now, on to the holster.

DSC03865.jpg

DSC03868.jpg

DSC03874.jpg

The holster fits my Glock 26 perfectly. All the edges are smooth or beveled. Retention is great and the gun stays secure during the “upside down” test. I learned from Steve that the excess kydex past the muzzle helps to “push” the muzzle of the gun out, causing the grip to stay close to the body, which is particularly important on a short gun like my G26. I also found that I could flip the belt-loop attachments around, lowering the ride of the holster by about an inch, which caused the grip to ride more firmly against my side while still being comfortable.

DSC03873.jpg

Since I own a Crossbreed Supertuck I wasn’t planning on using this holster for IWB. However, I removed the belt-loop attachments to see how well it might work IWB. The contour of the holster was very close to the contour of my waist, with minimal flaring of my jeans on each side of the holster. I was also surprised at how comfortable it was even while sitting, although that may be a function of the length of the gun. Longer guns might not be as comfortable. Based on this experience I may order the IWB attachments for future use.

DSC03870.jpg

So, how does this holster compare to a Raven?

To answer this question I asked a coworker to bring in his RCS Phantom. Although his Raven was made for an M&P9, I was interested in comparing the build quality. The two are very comparable. Both holsters have smooth outside edges and are well molded for their respective firearms. The rivets on both appear to be the same, along with the Chicago screws used to attach the holster to the belt loops. There is a difference in the spacing of the rivets. The PSS holster has evenly spaced rivets on each side of the holster, each rivet being about ¾ of an inch apart. The Raven holster has a pair of closely spaced rivets at both the top and bottom of each side and an additional rivet in the middle of each side of the holster.

DSC03872.jpg

The belt loops also differ between the two. The Raven’s appears more polished and professional. Although the belt loops on the PSS holster may look like they were fashioned from a wet noodle they are strong, functional and hold the holster securely.

DSC03869.jpg

From pre-sales to post-sales the customer service has been excellent. PSS has been easy to work with and seems to be able to customize almost any aspect of the holster. I really appreciate the excellent customer service, and Steve who went the extra mile to make sure I was a satisfied customer. I think Personal Security Systems has a great product at a competitive price with reasonable lead-times. I will definitely use them for future purchases.

Original thread here: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...curity_systems_kydex_holster.html#post1679121

Last edited by a moderator:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom