• ...and so much more!
  • Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Signed up for my first RR course. Other than the 'Recommended Rifle 125 equipment' anything else recommended? Excited and nervous. Been shooting for 30+ years but never taken a course/text.
    You are going to have a great time. Nothing to be nervous about. Everything listed in the recommended equipment has everything covered really. A couple handy tips:

-Yoga mats make handy prone pads. Lightweight/compact and usually a strap to carry. And they come in purple.
    - Electronic ear muffs aren't entirely necessary, but save you the trouble of on/off when under instructions. (Also, a caribiner will keep them handy at the belt during downtime.)
    -Bring a backup firearm/ammo. Failures happen with no warning. Don't take yourself out of the game.
    -Slim Jim's should be required equipment.

All jokes aside, you're in for a grand time. RR is a phenomenal group of people. I may see you there.

JSJamboree

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 9, 2013
    Avon
    Would you recommend an AR in .22 or a 10/22 as primary, ive heard that during qualifying mag changes with the AR will be much quicker.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Bring both. The thing that helps is having a sling or at least attachment points, and a magazine for the ar that's smaller than a typical 30 rounder. Neither are deal breakers but it'll help.
    I'm the ED event director for this one so feel free to message me with any questions.
    It'll be fun.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Would you recommend an AR in .22 or a 10/22 as primary, ive heard that during qualifying mag changes with the AR will be much quicker.
    I've taken this course three times now. Twice with a 10/22 and once with an AR, albeit center-fire. I didn't find that changing 10/22 box mags slowed me down much.

I'd say use whatever rifle you want to use to get better with. This class is all about the fundamentals, so you can't go wrong either way, but if you shoot the AR platform a majority of the time and only pull out the Ruger every once in a while, then shoot the AR if that's the platform you want to improve with.

Honestly, you can't go wrong either way. You'll probably see half the line shooting 10/22s, but .22 AR pattern rifles have been gaining in popularity too.

ETA: Doc's answer is better than mine. Bring both. You'll have chances to qualify with both, especially if it's a 2-day course.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Also, this particular range is nice grass. We won't be doing redneck yoga on whiterock which is nice.
    Start stretching! Getting into sitting, and prone many times throughout a weekend can wear on you and even result in injury if your body isn't used to it.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Also, this particular range is nice grass. We won't be doing redneck yoga on whiterock which is nice.
    Start stretching! Getting into sitting, and prone many times throughout a weekend can wear on you and even result in injury if your body isn't used to it.
    Hmm, I have this weekend free. I might have to get in on it. I want to try and qualify with my BCM and red dot. I haven't tried that configuration yet.

JSJamboree

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 9, 2013
    Avon
    Thanks for the feedback, i was planning to bring one for primary and the other for backup. Good to know I should be able to give both a try. I have two shorter mags, might look to pick up another before the event.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Yep, just conformed this was one I volunteered for. Had to check the Dragon. See you there!

Thanks for the feedback, i was planning to bring one for primary and the other for backup. Good to know I should be able to give both a try. I have two shorter mags, might look to pick up another before the event.

I keep a 10-rounder (pmag) in the range bag just for bench/prone on lower count drills. its the only 1 I have that isn't a 30.

Hmm, I have this weekend free. I might have to get in on it. I want to try and qualify with my BCM and red dot. I haven't tried that configuration yet.

I'm going to run a 10/22 carbine @ MBM, and hopefully get to break the seal on the 10.5 w/ Romeo 5 at an end of year carbine(?).

sofrosune

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Just an FYI, it looks like this event is rimfire only for those thinking of bringing an AR. Per the event page...
    "This will be a RIMFIRE ONLY event. Only rifles chambered in a rimfire caliber such as .22LR will be allowed."

hammerd13

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2015
    Hamilton County
    What? They banned M&P 15-22s?
    Why?
    They had a tendency for out of battery (oob) detonation, with potential user injury as a consequence. I believe it had to do with improper headspace on weapons with particular serial numbers/manufacturing dates.

S&W addressed the issue by issuing a safety advisory for those weapons involved and offering a free gauge to check your headspace.

Another issue was runaway...maybe something to do with sear/trigger group.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    They had a tendency for out of battery (oob) detonation, with potential user injury as a consequence. I believe it had to do with improper headspace on weapons with particular serial numbers/manufacturing dates.

S&W addressed the issue by issuing a safety advisory for those weapons involved and offering a free gauge to check your headspace.

Another issue was runaway...maybe something to do with sear/trigger group.

Thank you!

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    1/3 of the tickets sold already and a couple more folks on the fence. No doubt that this will sell out.
    This is very close to Indy and a great venue so come join the fun.
    This one’s rimfire only but don’t let that prevent you attending, we have a limited amount of .22 loaner rifles available.

Top Bottom