• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    I wanted to share a little honey hole of the internet that I have found. If any of you are like me and enjoy cool stuff and history, this website ……

provides a LOT of quality information on early AR rifles and the civilian / variants there of up until the 80s. This is especially useful for the growing number of retro builders out there. They have detailed lists of military and civilian rifles/ carbines as well as the specific attributes of each model.

Also some good historical photos to provide some context of the various models and where they ended up
    1D70D75D-437D-4BAF-958C-E2E581D9A4C5.jpeg
    7D2D31AB-C398-499D-AB2E-332EEA3AA23C.jpeg
    I learned a lot about the prototype colts in here too. Really cool stuff.
    F668FE7D-C681-4A30-B4DE-DF110A638ED2.jpeg
    I’ll quit blabbering now. Enjoy the learnin

Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I wanted to share a little honey hole of the internet that I have found. If any of you are like me and enjoy cool stuff and history, this website ……

provides a LOT of quality information on early AR rifles and the civilian / variants there of up until the 80s. This is especially useful for the growing number of retro builders out there. They have detailed lists of military and civilian rifles/ carbines as well as the specific attributes of each model.

Also some good historical photos to provide some context of the various models and where they ended up
    View attachment 206176
    View attachment 206177
    View attachment 206178
    The only one I'd be interested in building would be the Dissipator. I believe the original was called the Colt 605a. I've wanted one since I was about 10 years old.
    1655437809918.png

1655437847777.png

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Sadly the window to do these builds with original parts has passed, the parts kits and loose parts have dried up.

Here is my A1. I originally built this in 2014 before the retro craze was really beginning. The stock furniture is all authentic. The butt stock even has a rack number on it, not with paint, but with one of those 80s office punch label makers. You know the ones that you had to turn the dial to select each letter/digit... then you peeled and stuck it. Its on the comb of the stock just under the charging handle. The upper is an authentic M16A1 upper, that had taken a tour through Israel and been painted black. Barrel is from A15sports. The lower is the second lower, this was originally built on an Anderson lower, but later when brownells had some BLEMS, I changed it over to an XM16 type partial fence lower. BCG is a nickel colored one from PSA to approximate the old chrome BCGs. It's got a replica three prong weed catcher flash hider on it, but I have in a baggie an M16A1 birdcage too.... dated 2005, why was uncle sugar buying A1 birdcages then? Who knows.

The surplus store in Bedford, had the last local large stash of M16A1 parts I knew of, I went down there in 2015 and discovered the motherload. Uppers, all manner of parts, chrome bolt carriers, furniture, etc. I made a post on AR15.com and it all sold within a couple weeks.

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    The only one I'd be interested in building would be the Dissipator. I believe the original was called the Colt 605a. I've wanted one since I was about 10 years old.
    View attachment 206347

View attachment 206348
    Funny you mention that model. I’m working on sort of a modern variant of that. Most of the parts are in. You should be seeing a post about it in a couple weeks.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Funny you mention that model. I’m working on sort of a modern variant of that. Most of the parts are in. You should be seeing a post about it in a couple weeks.
    So you found a rifle length gas system set up on a 16" barrel? If so who makes that type of barrel? IIRC that is what Colt did.

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    So you found a rifle length gas system set up on a 16" barrel? If so who makes that type of barrel?
    No not exactly…Nobody to my knowledge makes one. I don’t think there is enough dwell time to run right.

What it’s gonna be is a twin gas block set up. One low profile carbine length gas system hiding under rifle length hand guards with a set screw FSB up front to hold it all together. Basically low profile carbine at heart, dissipator on the outside.

Sounds kinda confusing but when you see it, should make more sense.

Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    No not exactly…Nobody to my knowledge makes one. I don’t think there is enough dwell time to run right.

What it’s gonna be is a twin gas block set up. One low profile mid length gas system hiding under rifle length hand guards with a set screw FSB up front to hold it all together. Basically low profile middy at heart, dissipator on the outside.

Sounds kinda confusing but when you see it, should make more sense.
    Definitely want to see it, and a few range reports.

analogwars

ANALOGWARS
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    somewhere in time

View attachment 206176
    View attachment 206177
    View attachment 206178
    COOL! Thanks I am partial to the old school rifles!!! This is very helpful!

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    The 9MM ....

Is that a CAR looking stock that is supposed to actually be a brace?

20230117_084447-660x371.jpg

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    The 9MM ....

Is that a CAR looking stock that is supposed to actually be a brace?

20230117_084447-660x371.jpg
    I don’t think so. Pretty sure that’s an SBR. Looks like the old aluminum two position CAR stocks.

Believe it or not they were still some floating around on a few Navy Crane M4 rebuilds we had on the ship in 2016. Guess they must have been fairly durable. I never liked how small and slick they were though.

Last edited:

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    I have been wanting to convert my sbr into the old triangle (A1) or XM handguards. Not sure who makes those?
    The two that come to mind are
    Luth AR

And Brownells.

yotehunt

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 2, 2021
    Not Iraq
    The two that come to mind are
    Luth AR

And Brownells.
    Nice. Luth has the carbine version. Forgot about them.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I don’t think so. Pretty sure that’s an SBR. Looks identical to the old aluminum two position CAR stocks.

Believe it or not they were still some floating around on a few Navy Crane M4 rebuilds we had on the ship in 2016. Guess they must have been fairly durable. I never liked how small and slick they were though.
    its missing the plate that goes against your shoulder. I dunno if that was to make it a brace? At least before this current ATF sillyness.

Top Bottom