• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lilboog82

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2014
    Indiana
    I'm no doctor, but pulling yourself up by your bootstraps and getting after it shortly after major surgery is asking for trouble. I'm fairly certain we lost our CEO after heart valve replacement because she felt so great. Great enough that two weeks post surgery, she jumped her car and drove 14 hours non-stop, visited her mother the next day and then drove 14 hours back the following. The next day walking her dog she died from a clot.

It may be hard mentally to stay down, but find something that will occupy your mind. Your body is telling you it needs rest. Don't override it because you are typically a high energy guy.:twocents:

There has been too many deaths this year from people I know. I/we don't want to hear that you added to the count.
    yes and no....she was asking for trouble by sitting not moving her legs for a prolonged period of time. getting up and moving around is good for you, for one it helps prevent pneumonia by exercising you/yourlungs.

your body will tell you when you are over doing it, you just have to listen to it.

glad everything is going well for you....those TAVR's are an amazing achievement in valve replacement. beats having your chest cracked open to have it done!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    yes and no....she was asking for trouble by sitting not moving her legs for a prolonged period of time. getting up and moving around is good for you, for one it helps prevent pneumonia by exercising you/yourlungs.
    You are right. My point was she thought she could resume life as normal. She passed on her cardiac rehab because she "felt so good."

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I do appreciate the inputs.
    This is not my 1st rodeo since I've had dozens of hospitalizations starting at 13 yrs old.
    I have slowed down much as I've gotten older & don't try to get back to old activity levels right away like in my teens & 20s.
    I have deliberately been laying low doing little by my standards, waiting for rehab to start to get affirmation that I'm ahead of the curve.
    I intend to have fun passing all their tests they will put me through in the 1st evaluation this coming Wednesday.
    If not, they'll tell me I have to slow down even further if the treadmill test doesn't go as well as I think it will.
    With the heart valve opening fully & now sealing when it closes, it surely will show up well on the readouts.

I've been doing the breathing exercises that they started me on in the hospital, just in case they ask if I've been a good boy & been doing them, haha!

Lilboog82

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2014
    Indiana
    once you get that electrical problem figured out (I take it A-fib) you should notice more stamina and less shortness of breath with activity. having both valve and rhythm problem fixed will do you wonders.

continuing to hope it all goes well with you.

tbhausen

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    I skipped most of this thread, but the precision aspect of shooting is what has always appealed to me. Ballistic calculations, shooting off the bench, shooting groups. Airguns are going to keep the itch scratched for me. Every bit as challenging, if not more so, than firearms. The tunability of the rifles and the vast array of projectiles makes airgunning a tinkerer’s dreamland. I’m just getting the equipment together, but I bought 5000 pellets for about $160. That’s where my shooting hobby is headed.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Good news twice now about the electrical problem, which feel like skipped beat when taking pulse but they tell me it's really extra beats so close to previous beat you can't feel it???
    I had an 18% "overload" on my heart with the faulty beats, but I've had my electrical system checked twice now and it has gone down to 1.8% :rockwoot:
    The upper chambers are at 1.3%, even better.
    Looks like I won't qualify for any "zapping" (ablation) to try to get it to "sync" up.
    The Doctor had said that there would probably be some improvement, but was surprised that the heart valve replacement
    had such an effect.
    Nice to have good news in the medical realm.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Some years ago I used to shoot at the Muncie indoor range in the cold months and picked up a little Beeman R7 pellet rifle. Was perfect for shooting the 50ft distance and I ended up shooting it as well , if not better, than any of my 22 rifles.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Some years ago I used to shoot at the Muncie indoor range in the cold months and picked up a little Beeman R7 pellet rifle. Was perfect for shooting the 50ft distance and I ended up shooting it as well , if not better, than any of my 22 rifles.
    I'm having the same experience with the air pistols, but not with the air rifle.
    I need to get air rifle rings (must have a "southern appendage" that fits down into the receiver) & put a scope on it b/c my eyes can't see the iron sights clearly & no way can I even see the bullseye of a target at even just 25 yds.

2 air pistols here.
    I just can't see well enough at 30 ft to dial it in, but 21" OK.
    1.75" circles
    5 rds per circle except for R1, C1 with 10 rds.
    Range 01.07.2022 All pistols but HW70.jpg

Need a scope to tighten groups, even at such close distances.
    Either the sights are fuzzy & target OK
    or,
    the sights are clearer & the target is fuzzy & "light."
    Used 3.75" circles to help eyes dial in since the silhouette was frustrating.
    10 rds per circle.
    Range 01.07.2022 3.75in circles.jpg

I could hardly see the oblong red circle in the torso: no fun at all.
    Range 01.07.2022 silhouette.jpg

Last edited:

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I'm having the same experience with the air pistols, but not with the air rifle.
    I need to get air rifle rings (must have a "southern appendage" that fits down into the receiver) & put a scope on it b/c my eyes can't see the iron sights clearly & no way can I even see the bullseye of a target at even just 25 yds.

2 air pistols here.
    I just can't see well enough at 30 ft to dial it in, but 21" OK.
    1.75" circles
    5 rds per circle except for R1, C1 with 10 rds.
    View attachment 174884

Need a scope to tighten groups, even at such close distances.
    Either the sights are fuzzy & target OK
    or,
    the sights are clearer & the target is fuzzy & "light."
    Used 3.75" circles to help eyes dial in since the silhouette was frustrating.
    10 rds per circle.
    View attachment 174885

I could hardly see the oblong red circle in the torso: no fun at all.
    View attachment 174886

My SO's son and I were in the lane next to you for a while yesterday. I was going to say hello, but you were very intent on what you were doing and I didn't want to interrupt.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I skipped most of this thread, but the precision aspect of shooting is what has always appealed to me. Ballistic calculations, shooting off the bench, shooting groups. Airguns are going to keep the itch scratched for me. Every bit as challenging, if not more so, than firearms. The tunability of the rifles and the vast array of projectiles makes airgunning a tinkerer’s dreamland. I’m just getting the equipment together, but I bought 5000 pellets for about $160. That’s where my shooting hobby is headed.
    17 or 22 caliber air rifle?
    Last time I used an air rifle was in my teens. It was a pump Crossman. Can't remember the model. It shot BB's or pellets 17 caliber. I use to shoot that up to 100yds and hit milk jugs and soda pop cans. I had some cheap scope on it too. I shot it so much it wore out on me in about a year maybe a little more.

tbhausen

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    17 or 22 caliber air rifle?
    Last time I used an air rifle was in my teens. It was a pump Crossman. Can't remember the model. It shot BB's or pellets 17 caliber. I use to shoot that up to 100yds and hit milk jugs and soda pop cans. I had some cheap scope on it too. I shot it so much it wore out on me in about a year maybe a little more.
    .22… here’s a link to a thread about it:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    My SO's son and I were in the lane next to you for a while yesterday. I was going to say hello, but you were very intent on what you were doing and I didn't want to interrupt.
    Hey WTB! :wavey:
    I wish you would've interrupted!
    I live to talk to people, not to shoot guns, :blahblah: (perhaps you've picked up on that on the past 4+ years):laugh:
    I'm intense just taking out the trash, but talking to an INGO member at the range is a real treat. :rockwoot:

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Hey WTB! :wavey:
    I wish you would've interrupted!
    I live to talk to people, not to shoot guns, :blahblah: (perhaps you've picked up on that on the past 4+ years):laugh:
    I'm intense just taking out the trash, but talking to an INGO member at the range is a real treat. :rockwoot:
    Actually worked out for the best. I woke up this morning feeling very unwell, so I'm glad I didn't pass it on to you.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Think long and hard about selling firearms-and then sit down and think long and hard again...and again...and again. I cannot tell you how many guns I`ve sold, just because "I didn`t really need them", then at some point desperately wished I hadn`t parted with them. If you already have them, they`re not an expense.
    And congratulations on being able to retire, not all of us get to...

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Think long and hard about selling firearms-and then sit down and think long and hard again...and again...and again. I cannot tell you how many guns I`ve sold, just because "I didn`t really need them", then at some point desperately wished I hadn`t parted with them. If you already have them, they`re not an expense.
    And congratulations on being able to retire, not all of us get to...
    Words of wisdom, of which I've had to learn the hard way. :ugh:
    I have bought a brand of gun back again a number of times, even the same gun more than once. :dunno:

For example, I have had 4 different SW 3rd gen handguns & I loved each one.
    I always said I'd keep one & always sold it while in a "trimming mode," of which I have a purge about about once per year.
    There is SW 3rd gen in the Classifieds now that I've been eye-balling, but it is $150 - $250 more than what I had paid for the ones I had not that long ago, so I'm controlling myself. :nono:
    But, I want it! :facepalm:

As far as retirement, my favorite part is being able to spend more time with the angel I married nearly 50 yrs ago.
    Despite the fact that we are polar opposites in personality :scratch:, we enjoy each other so much b/c we like each other so much, love is a given, the liking is a bonus!
    I have remarked before that I barely remember working & wonder how I had the time for it, ha ha!

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    Words of wisdom, of which I've had to learn the hard way. :ugh:
    I have bought a brand of gun back again a number of times, even the same gun more than once. :dunno:

For example, I have had 4 different SW 3rd gen handguns & I loved each one.
    I always said I'd keep one & always sold it while in a "trimming mode," of which I have a purge about about once per year.
    There is SW 3rd gen in the Classifieds now that I've been eye-balling, but it is $150 - $250 more than what I had paid for the ones I had not that long ago, so I'm controlling myself. :nono:
    But, I want it! :facepalm:

As far as retirement, my favorite part is being able to spend more time with the angel I married nearly 50 yrs ago.
    Despite the fact that we are polar opposites in personality :scratch:, we enjoy each other so much b/c we like each other so much, love is a given, the liking is a bonus!
    I have remarked before that I barely remember working & wonder how I had the time for it, ha ha!
    That's great you're getting to spend some good quality time with your better half too. Now that your 'electrical' issues have subsided, maybe extra stress will melt away also. Congrats on the continued good news!

Top Bottom