• ...and so much more!
  • AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I like the way it is too, but I think that it and this one would make a nice pair together both redone or I wouldn't really be even thinking about it.
    So I'm still torn but after the first of the year I will revisit this and decide. 20191006_150850.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I like the way it is too, but I think that it and this one would make a nice pair together both redone or I wouldn't really be even thinking about it.
    So I'm still torn but after the first of the year I will revisit this and decide.
    That would make a good pair, i'd vote restoration, the wood might be too far gone though but even on ebay they have some nice looking wood for pretty cheap.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Since the gun is working as it should I would leave it with the character that has been bestowed on it. If and when you shoot it enough that should it ever need fixin then the decision to refinish could be made. Enjoy this piece of American History and don’t look back.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I've got a 30's era 30" barreled '97 12ga TD as well.

I've also been waffling about having it restored. It came to me via my grandfather - but it wasn't "his". He inherited it from his step-father (a guy he didn't like) and no one ever even mentioned.

There isn't any emotional attachment to it on my end...

So I waffle about keeping it, restoring it, selling it, trading it... etc etc etc

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    One of my customers in the old days had me contract out for a Turnbull-like Case coloring on a 97 to a smith in Iowa (or Missouri...I don't really remember as it was many years ago). That turned out to be a beautiful firearm. But, it was very pricey.
    THIS ^^^

If you want to know what the high end is, a good friend contacted Turnbull about a full restoration, wood and metal, on a Model 1901 lever 10 gauge in very good shape except a previous owner had sanded the stock in places for whatever reason

The quoted price was $3200, more than twice what he had in the gun

Madness, really

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    THIS ^^^

If you want to know what the high end is, a good friend contacted Turnbull about a full restoration, wood and metal, on a Model 1901 lever 10 gauge in very good shape except a previous owner had sanded the stock in places for whatever reason

Madness, really
    Turnbull does some of the best case color restoration

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    THIS ^^^

Madness, really

$3,200!
    Wish I could get those prices around here!

The chemicals for the old deep, rich hot tank Blue are about $100 and you need the tank & burners first...

Disassembly, black pad & polish, about 2-3 hours if there aren't any gouges or dents.
    Takes a while to fill gouges or peen dents out.

Cleaning out wood checkering and restoring it is the slowest for me, I'm used to working with metal, so I have to keep taking time to remind myself not to dig too deep.

Sanding stock wood is always a hand done job, too many curves for machines.

These '97s are just wonderful to look at when they are pristine I spend the time on them when I get a clean one...
    If someone didn't take a pipe wrench to the receiver & barrel or drag it down the road behind a truck! :(

I did a set, short & long barrel .22LR gallery rifles for my wife about 25 years ago, getting the nickel plate off the long barrel was a chore, but they turned out great and she takes care of them, still look factory new.
    She has a bobbed barrel '97 to complement her cowboy guns that I did, and it's about the same way.
    Always gets complements on it everywhere she goes.
    It's not numbers matching anymore, the afore mentioned pipe wrench to the barrel so I had to replace it.

She has a brass frame Henry that she displays with the other brass frames, but her 'shooter' is the short barrel pump Winchester.
    She loves that rifle... Probably more than me! ;)

The point would be,
    Because of age, it's now a 'Collectable'.
    If restored, and cared for, it's an heirloom.
    Doesn't matter where it came from, it's going to be prized from here on.

I have a 'Great, great, great...' whatever... brass frame pistol that was used in the 'Civil' war.
    It spent 100+ years getting rusty, corroded & mostly ignored until my grandpa pulled a box out from under a bed and showed it to me.

I spent YEARS learning how to restore it CORRECTLY, get it fully functioning.
    Every cousin, nieces & nephews, etc all want it when I'm gone because if the family history and I don't have kids.

The display case has the family history in grandpa's hand writing, pictures of the original owner & grandpa...
    And I managed to find period power flask, ball mold, etc.
    Not the originals, but nice display pieces.

Its an opportunity to create a tradition, and an heirloom...

Last edited:

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    Turnbull does some of the best case color restoration

Actual Case (Bone) color/hardening is CRAZY difficult to do correctly.
    The 'Faux' stuff they sell just doesn't look or wear the same.

It took me about 3 months of spare time to get anything even remotely acceptable.
    I have every respect for the guys that can knock those jobs out!

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I redo them all.

It isn't that I redo them to try and fool or cheat someone down the road, bluing has a purpose. It is there to protect the metal. Why leave it vulnerable because some 90yo fella in upstate New York (who hasn't smelled burnt gun powder in years) says not to?

If you bought it for the next guy to own, then leave it. But, if you bought to be your own, why leave it's butt hanging out to catch cold?

I would redo it and truly make it yours, when you are gone someone will start where you left off and make it theirs.

We are only stewards for these weapons whether you call them a tool, a piece of machinery or a work of art, it stirs the blood. Make it as nice as you can and use it when you want. I consider it 'pissing higher on the tree' than these 'never shoot and keep them original' guys who loose out in all the enjoyment guns have to offer. To them selling the weapon is their only joy and I leave that to my widow...

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    If it is an 18.5 inch barrel it is a 'Riot', if it is a 20 inch barrel it is a 'Brush' gun. They made them in both configurations.

What is the choke stamp on the left side of the barrel say? If it says 'full' and gauges 'cyl' it is a cut off.

The only thing that would make it more desirable to anyone (other than shear lust) would be a US stamp or flaming bomb.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    These are two I did myself. They shoot slick as snot and have been 'raked' thousands of times. Note the bolt is blued which is is not the case in the Model 12. Four out of five model 97's were sent from the factory with blued internals. Something to think about if you have yours redone. If it is a true Riot, I would bet dollars to donuts yours was blued also.

DSC05856.JPG

Top Bottom