Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I just picked this up and got it for a good price
    1939 Winchester model 97. 20" 12ga.
    Mechanically it is in very good shape and I would really love to have it redone and make it look new, but I don't do bluing or wood work so I would have to have it done.

The more I read about it the more I love the history behind this gun, but would it be worth it, would it diminish the value?

It is not really a rare version, I don't think. It belonged to a police office that passed away, may have been an issued riot gun? I don't know.
    Any ideas on cost to reblue? 20211110_061927.jpg 20211110_061939.jpg

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    That's a decent looking gun. 1897's aren't particularly rare so it could go either way. As-is they have decent value, one in similar shape recently sold on GB for 700.00 so it's not like you'd be refurbishing a 2000.00 gun and losing value. The only ones really worth big $$ are the actual trench guns. As far as bluing goes, I was going to reblue my Colt 1911 retro project and even if I sent it prepped the price scared me away, I forget now who it was but it was an IN company. I would plan on at least 200-250.00 to start with.

jcj54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    NE
    From a collector standpoint, a refinished gun is worth less than an unaltered gun. That said, one with so little factory finish remaining would benefit from a refinish.
    It is purely personal preference.
    The 1897 I have belonged to my father's cousin, it was a working gun on his farm and he had my gunsmith grandfather reblue it in the 1950s. It had less finish than yours before the reblue.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I think the value has already been diminished, it's not a upper 90's finish original.

I think at this point the value of it is just it's age. It's a personal thing now IMO. Personally I like the well used look, it tells a story.
    If you wish to to fix it up to your liking I say go for it, it's your now.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    That would be a tough call for me. I have an older(mid-late 40's) Ithaca Model 37 that is kinda worn. The bluing is in pretty good shape so I'm leaving it as is. It functions great.

I would consider restoring yours if I was going to, say, get into CAS. Like I said, it would be a tough call for me. Maybe just sit on it for awhile and see where your mind takes you.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    If it was a solid frame, and if I had the time to do all the polishing necessary before putting it through a true rust-blue process, it might be a good winter project. However, takedowns are not that valuable to anyone other than cowboy shooters. And while the prices of takedowns have risen from $150 30 years ago to over $600 or $700 today, the market is limited.

One of my customers in the old days had me contract out for a Turnbull-like Case coloring on a 97 to a smith in Iowa (or Missouri...I don't really remember as it was many years ago). That turned out to be a beautiful firearm. But, it was very pricey.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I put a box of shells through it tonight after work. Ran like it should. Tested out the slam fire action :)
    Good feeling gun. If do decide to do anything to it, it wont be until next year anyways.
    Thanka for the feedback
    I have an old Winchester pump 22 that has been restored and was thinking they would make a nice pair.

Decisions...

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I put a box of shells through it tonight after work. Ran like it should. Tested out the slam fire action :)
    Good feeling gun. If do decide to do anything to it, it wont be until next year anyways.
    Thanka for the feedback
    I have an old Winchester pump 22 that has been restored and was thinking they would make a nice pair.

Decisions...
    Slam firing is the best! My old Ithaca Model 37 is "slam-fire capable". :)

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    I just picked this up and got it for a good price
    1939 Winchester model 97. 20" 12ga.
    Mechanically it is in very good shape and I would really love to have it redone and make it look new, but I don't do bluing or wood work so I would have to have it done.

The more I read about it the more I love the history behind this gun, but would it be worth it, would it diminish the value?

It is not really a rare version, I don't think. It belonged to a police office that passed away, may have been an issued riot gun? I don't know.
    Any ideas on cost to reblue? View attachment 167137 View attachment 167138

Simply personal opinion...

This is the civilian, nothing special model.
    Its not a 'Collector' item since a crap ton of them were made.
    The limiting factor in manufacturing numbers was the great depression, so it's not a 'Rare' model.

If it were mine, and I was inclined to take on the work, I would restore it to factory condition, no modifications.

Winchester had a particularly rich factory blue in those years, and it's gorgeous when pristine.
    The process was expensive, and the depression caused Winchester to drop it on all but top end, custom shop grade firearms, so that's one thing the shotgun has going for it, which you can reproduce.
    It won't be a 'Cold Blue', but the price isn't hateful expensive.
    (Around $100 when you find someone with hot tanks)

I've found the wood is often VERY good, still old growth forests back then, so very close grain and very dense.
    Always good candidates for restoration, and they respond well to water & heat (steaming) to raise dents.

Larry Potterfield (Midway USA) has a series of videos on BoobTube about restoration, if you browse those you can make an informed decision on how much of the restoration you want to tackle.
    Its pretty simple, but often you will need speciality tools, other times, like raising wood dents, it's a wet rag and cloths iron,
    Refinish is sand paper (or higher grade sanding cloth) and finish/brushes/rags.
    Pretty simple and not tool expensive when you take your time...

Other times, like sharpening the checking on the hammer, the files or engraving tools are cheap.
    Practice a little on scrap metal, it doesn't take long to get the hang of stopping the cut or tapping your way around bends...

Parts are still available, vintage from places like Numrich Arms, some reproductions on the market also, mostly because they are popular in cowboy shooting.

I enjoy the '97s, have done a few down through the years.
    My wife has one for cowboy shoots she wouldn't part with for love or money.

I like having that hammer!
    No questions about readiness condition with an external hammer.

Top Bottom