• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    We've only got two exterior outlets on our house and we also have a large screened in porch we use extensively. I'd like to get another couple of exterior outlets installed and was wondering about the level of work required. I have interior outlets on the opposite side of the wall where I would like exterior outlets, can an exterior just tie in to the interiors or does it require a different circuit?

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    We've only got two exterior outlets on our house and we also have a large screened in porch we use extensively. I'd like to get another couple of exterior outlets installed and was wondering about the level of work required. I have interior outlets on the opposite side of the wall where I would like exterior outlets, can an exterior just tie in to the interiors or does it require a different circuit?
    Thats how i have done it... right or wrong... i did use gfi.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    The quick answer is yes it can be tied to interior circuit, it has to be GFCI protected and no more the 6.5' above the walking surface.

The long answer is it's dependant on more information. Desired use of deck outlets, the layout and load of circuit being tied into etc

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    The quick answer is yes it can be tied to interior circuit, it has to be GFCI protected and no more the 6.5' above the walking surface.

The long answer is it's dependant on more information. Desired use of deck outlets, the layout and load of circuit being tied into etc
    Ideally you are tying into a circuit that is currently getting little use, avoiding kitchen circuits that are running toaster oven or coffee maker. (I know you're smart enough to know this, I am providing this info for those that are not. ).

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Ideally you are tying into a circuit that is currently getting little use, avoiding kitchen circuits that are running toaster oven or coffee maker. (I know you're smart enough to know this, I am providing this info for those that are not. ).
    Yep the last one I was called about the guy wanted an outside plug other side of the kitchen wall. I asked questions about intended use, and then told him I wouldn't do it and he got mad and said I was just trying to get more money for running a new circuit.

He wanted a place to plug in an extension cord to run his electric snowblower. I told him after he hooked 150' of ext. cord to the snowblower he was certainly going to be tripping circuits. He informed me his driveway was only 50' away. So I asked him how far to the the end of the driveway? I was not running up the price and I also didn't even want the job as that's not what I do for work. Was only there because he was a friend of a friend and I did side work occasionally. (not anymore though)

Last edited:

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Any outdoor tie in’s (say for an outdoor kitchen) should be done in seal tite and the outdoor plug in should be outdoor rated enclosure with outdoor cover.
    Just two cents

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Yep the last one I was called about the guy wanted an outside plug other side of the kitchen wall. I asked questions about intended use, and then told him I wouldn't do it and he got mad and said I was just trying to get more money for running a new circuit.

He wanted a place to plug in an extension cord to run his electric snowblower. I told him after he hooked 150' of ext. cord to the snowblower he was certainly going to be tripping circuits. He informed me his driveway was only 50' away. So I asked him how far to the the end of the driveway? I was not running up the price and I also didn't even want the job as that's not what I do for work. Was only there because he was a friend of a friend and I did side work occasionally. (not anymore though)
    I am not a professional electrician, plumber, carpenter, etc. But I do a lot of my own trade work. You can literally find everything you need to do tasks yourself.

Conversely, you can also learn a lot by including the word "fail" in your searches.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I am not a professional electrician, plumber, carpenter, etc. But I do a lot of my own trade work. You can literally find everything you need to do tasks yourself.

Conversely, you can also learn a lot by including the word "fail" in your searches.
    I worked for the IBEW for 8 years out of highschool, then went to millwright in the powerplants since. I do everything I possibly can myself I hate hiring someone to do something.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I worked for the IBEW for 8 years out of highschool, then went to millwright in the powerplants since. I do everything I possibly can myself I hate hiring someone to do something.
    You have to know when to call in the pros. When we put the cabin up my intention was to wire it to residential code & do the work myself. Okiegirl called shenanigans and we hired it out. Two brothers came in and knocked it out in a day & a half. They made it look easy and added stuff I didn't think about like a stairwell light and smoke detectors. They pre wired for the well and genny and tied the whole thing into the inverter.

blain

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Evansville
    I do everything I possibly can myself I hate hiring someone to do something.
    Me too. I won't perform my own surgeries, but beyond that, I enjoy tackling a task.
    After doing my research, I do ask myself two questions before jumping.
    1. What's the worst that can happen?
    2. Can I live with that?
    If I can deal/live with the worst, I'll tackle the job. It may end up costing me more to pay someone to repair, but at least I've gained that education. Just about every time it's paid off for me and I've gained knowledge.

One situation where I chose not to do it myself...
    Screwing in a dog stake I felt something solid, pushed a little harder, then felt a snap. After the snap I heard a hiss, then smelled gas. Turns out the natural gas line to my house was buried too shallow. I thought for about a minute how I'd fix the situation, then caved and called the utility company.
    Five trucks and a few hours later it was repaired. All things considered, it turned out to be $330 well spent.
    BTW, the first guy said he'd put on his report the line was shallow, and I may not be billed.
    I was billed but didn't have the fight in me to see it through, just paid the $330 and moved on with my life.

Top Bottom