• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spyshot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Winchester/Union City
    as many of you know the sig 1911 does not fit standard 1911 holsters. i have a galco 1911 holster that i really like and i want to use my sig in it. however it does not fit properly. there is basically an indentation along the length of where the slide fits that is keeping it from sliding in properly.
    is there a way to soften the leather and reshape it?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Put your well oiled pistol in a plastic bag. Steam the holster until it is soft. Put your plastic protected pistol in and work the leather. Let it slow dry like that. You may have to put some clamps in places you want squeezed tight. Beware that if the clamp is too tight, the clamp marks will be there forever. Try to get it right the first time. Every time you re-steam the holster, you loose some of the finish. Good Luck

spyshot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Winchester/Union City
    thanks. i wonder if i can steam a portion of the holster and cut a piece of wood the same shape as the slide. could i then reshape just the upper part of the holster?

spyshot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Winchester/Union City
    If you need it a little bigger to fit looser, I put an old sock on my guns and insert it and let it set for a few days. I will expand a little.

ok thanks. the biggest think i need to do is just reshape it to remove an indentation that runs the lenght of the slide between the breech and muzzle. i think if i get that out it will fit. i'm now trying to think of how i'm going to apply steam like LEO suggested.

if i put the holster in a sealed bag and boil it, will that work?

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    You can usually just run it under hot water from your faucet. Don't drench it, but get it good and wet, warmer water works better. Slide the pistol on and use your fingers to form the leather to your pistol. Let it sit for five or ten minutes and then carefully remove. Dry and oil your pistol. Let the holster air dry and it will retain that shape. I've been making holsters for years and this is the method I use. No damage done to either leather or steel.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Sounds like slowhand has a lot more experience than me. I just put a coat hanger over a pan of boiling water on the stove and put the holster on the wire hanger. That is what I was told and it worked. I never tried the direct water method, but I have not made/modified many holsters in my life either. Sounds like you are good to go with techniques. Good Luck

spyshot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Winchester/Union City
    update...was stainding at home last night and was watching my wife plug in the vaporizor and duh, steam. anyway it worked perfectly. the gun goes in and out a lot easier than before. it basically acts like a new holster that needs broke in, which is far better than before when it wouldn't go in hardly at all.
    thanks again

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Put your well oiled pistol in a plastic bag. Steam the holster until it is soft. Put your plastic protected pistol in and work the leather. Let it slow dry like that. You may have to put some clamps in places you want squeezed tight. Beware that if the clamp is too tight, the clamp marks will be there forever. Try to get it right the first time. Every time you re-steam the holster, you loose some of the finish. Good Luck

I use a condom and hot water. I just use the supersize ones that I always keep on hand.:D

I have heard of folks using bones to work the leather but I have had great results with my fingers and thumbs to reform and work the leather.

Top Bottom