Reset only, or full release? How do you train?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Donovan48

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2022
    Tippecanoe County
    In high stress situations most people lose fine motor control in their fingers which shooting to reset requires. Yesterday I was trying to program a garage door opener with very small buttons in 14 degree weather. I could move my fingers okay --- good enough for trigger slapping if I had been shooting, but lacked the dexterity and feeling for precise work, which shooting to reset requires. Most of us don't go shooting in very cold weather. It might be informative if we did.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    How fast the gun cycles isn't the relevant issue. It's how fast you can cycle. If the gun is sitting there in battery, waiting for you to fire the shot, your technique is the speed-limiting factor.

As long as you're getting the hits you want, in fast enough time, none of this matters.

But if you're challenging yourself to get the hits as fast as possible, for example in a scored competition where shorter time results in a better score...you will eventually find out the people who let go of the trigger all the way are simply faster than those who don't. For torso-type targets 15 yards or closer, you'll either learn to shoot that way, or lose to those who do. Of course, there's a lot more to overall speed than shot-splits. It's actually one of the smaller contributors. However, if you're the type of person who's slowing down your reset to feel the click and go no farther, you're probably doing a lot of other things slow, also.

If you never go to a USPSA match, and don't measure your performance with a timer against others, you can go a lifetime without ever finding out your speed limits, and it will probably never matter. We're splitting hairs here. But, there's no doubt which way is faster. It's been proven over and over. The Jerry Miculeks and Taran Butlers of the world are letting go of the trigger all the way, when they're burning down targets within 30 feet (perhaps farther). Reasonable accuracy can be achieved various ways. Camp Perry Bullseye accuracy has to be done a certain way (releasing to reset). The _ultimate_ in speed for targets that are _not_ as fine as that, also has to be achieved a certain way (letting go all the way). The people who have put in the rounds have figured this out.
    Just now seeing this.
    Thanks, this is interesting info.

I am definitely not waiting for the gun to go into battery and then fire, definitely not feeling the reset.
    I’m not really sure if I’m slapping or going to reset. I’ll work to figure that out.

I’ve never competed but kinda feeling the urge, if I can find the time.

Last edited:

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Usually I shoot and just reset. Most of the time it's just slow target shooting.
    I have done some casual matches and to be honest I don't really focus on trigger technique. I don't really know what I use; my focus is just accuracy and speed.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    Yes, I was referring to feeling the reset. It is different on each gun. What it is, is a noticeable click on each gun. It is also noticably different on each gun. Perhaps it is time for some professional consultation/instruction. Releasing to reset is easy. Getting off the next round from there, w/o having a ND is also easy.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Yes, I was referring to feeling the reset. It is different on each gun. What it is, is a noticeable click on each gun. It is also noticably different on each gun. Perhaps it is time for some professional consultation/instruction. Releasing to reset is easy. Getting off the next round from there, w/o having a ND is also easy.
    It’d be easy to talk past each other or at least mix up terms on this subject.
    Your conversation has made me want to explore exactly what I’m doing, slapping or not so much, and also find out just how slow I have to shoot to feel the reset. In other words how fast can I go, what are my split times, and still feel the reset; I’m thinking it’s really slow, relatively.

Donovan48

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2022
    Tippecanoe County
    Yes, but shooting for recreation is a sport and not truly stressful. Violent confrontations are different. Releasing to reset and keeping the trigger safely staged for the next shot is easy enough when the adrenaline isn't pumping. A few years ago there was a news report of a man holding a criminal at gunpoint with his finger on the trigger, effectively staging the trigger. The pistol was pointed at the threat, the trigger was staged, and the 1911 went off "by itself" according to the news report.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    Yes, but shooting for recreation is a sport and not truly stressful. Violent confrontations are different. Releasing to reset and keeping the trigger safely staged for the next shot is easy enough when the adrenaline isn't pumping. A few years ago there was a news report of a man holding a criminal at gunpoint with his finger on the trigger, effectively staging the trigger. The pistol was pointed at the threat, the trigger was staged, and the 1911 went off "by itself" according to the news report.
    Exactly what NOBODY wants to happen.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    In high stress situations most people lose fine motor control in their fingers which shooting to reset requires. Yesterday I was trying to program a garage door opener with very small buttons in 14 degree weather. I could move my fingers okay --- good enough for trigger slapping if I had been shooting, but lacked the dexterity and feeling for precise work, which shooting to reset requires. Most of us don't go shooting in very cold weather. It might be informative if we did.
    I shoot all winter long. The cold definitely affects my shooting but not so much in trigger control but my ability to consistently grip the gun.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I am no fan of cold weather myself.
    I don't care for it, myself. I take my two Golden Retrievers out every day at 4:30 for 2 miles. They love winter weather. It's good for me, too. I'm a cardiac patient trying to live long enough to bankrupt the Social Security system. Gonna max-out by working until I'm 70, then live to 117. That's the plan, anyway.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Boy do I have some news for you... Even pulling a trigger *is* a fine motor control.

Also, does anyone else realize how silly the fine motor control argument really is? Like somehow you'll not be able to hit the slide release, but will be able to pull the trigger and/or be able to hit the mag release for the fantasy mid-gunfight reload?

Donovan48

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2022
    Tippecanoe County
    Boy do I have some news for you... Even pulling a trigger *is* a fine motor control.

Also, does anyone else realize how silly the fine motor control argument really is? Like somehow you'll not be able to hit the slide release, but will be able to pull the trigger and/or be able to hit the mag release for the fantasy mid-gunfight reload?
    Yes, pulling the trigger is a fine motor control, but doesn't require as much sensitivity as "feeling" the point of reset and staging a trigger for the next shot without a ND.

Top Bottom