Representatives of the 2A community less than stellar?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    Got something besides video? You usually have great links to cases and docs?
    More info about case details and accessing them in the courts . . .
    Such access is nearly always geared for attorneys who must pay a subscription fee, which doesn't come cheap. In the Federal Court system, it's PACER. You can't get much of anything out of PACER unless you pay for it. Court Listener is a super web site for getting some information and documents about Federal Court cases at all levels . . . and kudos to the folks providing it.

One of the systems in Indiana for many counties is DOXPOP. You can get some very limited info there such as case minutes, on a limited number of cases, but no electronic document downloads without a subscription, which doesn't come cheap. I've tracked a couple cases on DOXPOP with auto notices of any filings in the case minutes. If there was an order or other document desired I had to call the county court clerk . . . and then PAY for the document . . . and they charge a lot more for it per page than you'd ever imagine. All geared for attorneys who pass the cost on to clients along with their hourly fees.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    I didn't get the message. I wrote him off as not serious, due to his appearance. Yet GOA (official logo?) is on his YouTube moniker?

Like my opinion or not, do you think I'm the only one thinking this?

With the fight we are in, can we afford to be losing anyone, due to sloppiness that could easily be fixed?

:dunno:

I have no doubt that you have moved on by now, but thank you for responding to my question.

I know a lot of folks see the sloppiness in the upcoming generation. Including myself. Frankly, I don't understand the lack of bathing/grooming and personal hygiene.

Another sign of the downfall of society? Probably.

My point being that the dudes peer-group doesn't see anything that needs fixing.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have no doubt that you have moved on by now, but thank you for responding to my question.

I know a lot of folks see the sloppiness in the upcoming generation. Including myself. Frankly, I don't understand the lack of bathing/grooming and personal hygiene.

Another sign of the downfall of society? Probably.

My point being that the dudes peer-group doesn't see anything that needs fixing.

The question is, is the message getting out there? Is it working? Does the mom's basement blogger look, with the "cool" Biden meme's on the thumbnail sell?

How do the numbers of "that dude's peer group" compare to other 2A organizations? Are they really active in the GOA, supporting it with dollars, as importantly recruitment?
    Or do they just throw barbs at the NRA, then loudly proclaim GOA?

Does "that dude's peer group" lobby congress, as their hated NRA counterpart does? Do the anti's and the "pro 2A" in our congress fear the wrath of the GOA, as they once did the NRA? Does congress understand that getting elected or reelected could depend on the support/backing of said group?

:scratch:

Last edited:

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    The question is, is the message getting out there? Is it working? Does the mom's basement blogger look, with the "cool" Biden meme's on the thumbnail sell?

How do the numbers of "that dude's peer group" compare to other 2A organizations? Are they really active in the GOA, supporting it with dollars, as importantly recruitment?
    Or do they just throw barbs at the NRA, then loudly proclaim GOA?

Does "that dude's peer group" lobby congress, as their hated NRA counterpart does? Do the anti's and the "pro 2A" in our congress fear the wrath of the GOA, as they once did the NRA? Does congress understand that getting elected or reelected could depend on the support/backing of said group?

:scratch:
    Honestly, I cannot claim to be a reliable gauge of the effectiveness of his message. It wasn't affective on you, but the message is "getting out there". Obviously, you posted it. Thank you! Young people I deal with have acquired their firearms knowledge from Hollywood and video games. First hand experience (and instruction) with real firearms is almost totally absent. I see very few kids "in" to the real shooting experience.

If you would like, I can go on at great length about what I have witnessed first-hand as an RSO for many years, but I digress.

What I do see is academia (public schools and educational systems) being against gun ownership. I see the independent minded people concerned with 2A rights and pro-gun groups being out-done by other groups with emotional appeals. I see the ability of politicians to be encouraged to support gun-ownership waning. NRA or GOA are not able to compete against the hailstorm of anti-gun social messaging.

Call me a defeatist, but the battle for Congress has been all but lost. We can look to the rule of law and the courts to safe guard our rights, but they too have shown themselves to be vulnerable to social pressures. I hold no faith in our lawmaking body to preserve or defend anything. The term "justice" has taken on the meaning to do something contrary to, not uphold, current understanding of the law.

Gun owners are painted in a negative light at every turn. Law abiding gun owners have been lumped together with criminals. Media blames the gun, not the person holding it. Therefore, violence is the fault of the gun and anyone possessing the gun is a potential source of violence. Gun owners have lost this fight as well because we make fun of this but don't recognize its impact to the group that isn't "us".

Young people need to be educated and instructed about firearms at the grass-roots level. They need to hear from people that look and sound like them with encouraging words and information from someone they identify with. They need to know that firearms are real things, with real purpose and real consequences. I am in favor of anything that might allow them to consider that guns aren't just intimidating things used by bad guys and action heroes. It doesn't seem to be a message taught inside very many homes.

The need to know that their right to own a firearm is threatened has to come from any and all sources available.

They need as much guidance and influence as they can receive.

What little belief there is in self-reliance, personal responsibility, independence and even liberty is dying out. It is dying with the 'old geezers' like you and me. Dollars, national organizations and well dressed commentators will not change that course. The screen-time-social-media-dopamine-loop is winning the war.

Sorry about the rambling, that's my $1.05.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Honestly, I cannot claim to be a reliable gauge of the effectiveness of his message. It wasn't affective on you, but the message is "getting out there". Obviously, you posted it. Thank you! Young people I deal with have acquired their firearms knowledge from Hollywood and video games. First hand experience (and instruction) with real firearms is almost totally absent. I see very few kids "in" to the real shooting experience.

If you would like, I can go on at great length about what I have witnessed first-hand as an RSO for many years, but I digress.

What I do see is academia (public schools and educational systems) being against gun ownership. I see the independent minded people concerned with 2A rights and pro-gun groups being out-done by other groups with emotional appeals. I see the ability of politicians to be encouraged to support gun-ownership waning. NRA or GOA are not able to compete against the hailstorm of anti-gun social messaging.

Call me a defeatist, but the battle for Congress has been all but lost. We can look to the rule of law and the courts to safe guard our rights, but they too have shown themselves to be vulnerable to social pressures. I hold no faith in our lawmaking body to preserve or defend anything. The term "justice" has taken on the meaning to do something contrary to, not uphold, current understanding of the law.

Gun owners are painted in a negative light at every turn. Law abiding gun owners have been lumped together with criminals. Media blames the gun, not the person holding it. Therefore, violence is the fault of the gun and anyone possessing the gun is a potential source of violence. Gun owners have lost this fight as well because we make fun of this but don't recognize its impact to the group that isn't "us".

Young people need to be educated and instructed about firearms at the grass-roots level. They need to hear from people that look and sound like them with encouraging words and information from someone they identify with. They need to know that firearms are real things, with real purpose and real consequences. I am in favor of anything that might allow them to consider that guns aren't just intimidating things used by bad guys and action heroes. It doesn't seem to be a message taught inside very many homes.

The need to know that their right to own a firearm is threatened has to come from any and all sources available.

They need as much guidance and influence as they can receive.

What little belief there is in self-reliance, personal responsibility, independence and even liberty is dying out. It is dying with the 'old geezers' like you and me. Dollars, national organizations and well dressed commentators will not change that course. The screen-time-social-media-dopamine-loop is winning the war.

Sorry about the rambling, that's my $1.05.
    Sad, but we’ll put…

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...If you would like, I can go on at great length about what I have witnessed first-hand as an RSO for many years, but I digress...

I'm a USPSA certified RO myself. I've run the timer on a LOT of young shooters. Also have been in business management for all of my working life. Internet marketing for a lot of those years. I have a fair understanding, thank you. ;)

Just ask Zuckerberg when the edgy grunge hoodie phase was played out? Seen Zuk in the hoodie lately? Biz trends come and go to attract different market segments, but you can never go wrong with professionalism. Professionalism will attract all crowds. At the same time, professionalism wont run off some of the viewers, as the lack of it that we are discussing here.

:twocents:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Back after this... ;)

Kudos to the GOA for putting a better face on this issue! I have some more video to watch, but I like these. Gives a LOT better impression than the mom's basement kid...

Now to convince the GOA to get away from the click-bait MEME style front page thumbnails for their videos?

:)

Top Bottom